Watch Freeks banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just tallied up how much I have spent on watches and watch accessories over the past 12 months and I have come to the conclusion that it's time for me to stop buying for a while and just live vicariously throughall of your watchpurchases. I never realized how much I spent, but when I took out the calculator and started adding things up I was blown away. This will by no means be easy for me to do, but OMG I have spent way too much.

I still love watches, but I think it's time to just sit back and go into a deep NBZ for a while. I will be tempted I'm sure, but I'm going to try and resist the urge to "Add to Cart". I will continue to enjoy watching all of you share your passions and purchases, but for me I think I went a little overboard and I'm giving myself a personalintervention. The pay cuts at work aren't helping with mypassion for watcheseither. Thanks for listening.

Watchguru58

P.S.- I should probably change my title from Professional Watch Buyer to Professionally broke. Ha Ha LOL!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
imported post

There is nothing at all wrong with that. I still enjoy just reading about watches every night. I love looking at pictures and making lists of watches I want someday - and that list changes every single week as I find new things.

I have always said that NBZ is not really a time to slow down your efforts, just a time to up your research and learning.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
There is nothing at all wrong with that. I still enjoy just reading about watches every night. I love looking at pictures and making lists of watches I want someday - and that list changes every single week as I find new things.

I have always said that NBZ is not really a time to slow down your efforts, just a time to up your research and learning.
That is an excellent way to look at it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
imported post

AND you can post more here about everything else!!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
AND you can post more here about everything else!!!!
I will certainly do that. The passion is still there, but I have to cage the beast for a while. LOL!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
imported post

it can become a sickness but its better than putting your money in a slot machine or up your nose..at least you will always know what day it is and the time of day. there are people who don't know that, so i guess we are lucky.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,638 Posts
imported post

Love My Wristwear wrote:
it can become a sickness but its better than putting your money in a slot machine or up your nose..at least you will always know what day it is and the time of day. there are people who don't know that, so i guess we are lucky.
I dont know dude the $20K or so I have spent on watches over the last 12 months would have gotten me a lot of Cocaine and ho's too go with it, Man I loved the early 90's what fun that was!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
imported post

I am with you, BUT if a watch is a limited run and it hits my sweet spot I will buy it. I have a NBZ with an Astrix. NO more if I want one then I need two. I usually buy all the colors of a model. It drives my Wife nuts but I tell her it was/is a short drive. I think your BIG mistake was to get the calculator out. You should destroy it and forget you used it.

Carl
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
imported post

I always keep a spread sheet (like an Excel spreadsheet) now of what purchases I have still to arrives, still being paid for, etc. That way I can keep track at any time how much I owe or have left on existing watch purchases.

I used to just buy and sell blindly and quickly got way behind and in a hole. wont let that happen again.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,045 Posts
imported post

Very prudent and pragmatic decision WG(Rob); I have been and there and it's more than likely will be again. Hopefully your circumstances will change soon and you will be rght back in the thick of things!:)

CJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
768 Posts
imported post

Its all these GMT movements are killing me, im gonna grab the ViperFish and then i am out of buying for a while also, i think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,308 Posts
imported post

Well at least you do have something to show for it.



T.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
imported post

On the positive side, you were not forced to stop buying by circumstances beyond your control. You made a conscious decision to pull back for a while.

IMO,the satisfaction that provides will make it easier to resist the "Add to Cart" button on the screen when you are window shopping.

I'm in the third month of NBZ and find it is getting easier to resist temptation as time passes. Only three more months to go!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks for all the support. This be tough, but I think my kids will be upset if there isn't anything under the Christmas tree this year.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

roloya wrote:
On the positive side, you were not forced to stop buying by circumstances beyond your control. You made a conscious decision to pull back for a while.

IMO,the satisfaction that provides will make it easier to resist the "Add to Cart" button on the screen when you are window shopping.

I'm in the third month of NBZ and find it is getting easier to resist temptation as time passes.
Only three more months to go!
I've almost gone 3 weeks now. I have done it for 3 months before so I think I can do it again. I've consciously come to the conclusion that right now I have a great collection of quantity and quality. There are only a few timepieces out there that I really have a strong desire for and thankfully they cost a lot so it shouldn't be too much of a temptation anymore.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

DenFromNM wrote:
You can always give them a watch LOL
Oh believe me my boys sport some nice watches. They are only 16 and 9 so I haven't gone crazy on them yet, but lets just say they don't wear Casio or Timex to school Ha Ha LOL!!! I think they are future watch collectors.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top