Watch Freeks banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
imported post

Well, we left on the 18th of Aug for our vacation. Had a great time in Reno at the car show. Saw some friends that we hadn't seen in over a year, plus all the new ones we had met last year at the show. Doctor wasn't too happy that Shirley went, but we told him that we could be home early if they thought she would need any transfusions. They told us to go enjoy ourselves and to keep an eye on her. The drive home was great, drove over I-80 for the first time. The pass was beautiful, but I couldn't enjoy it due to the traffic and construction going on. Stopped at friends house in Roseville for an hour to get out of the car, then drove to I-5, up to hwy 20, then onto hwy 101 to drive through the redwoods. Total miles for the week was around 1,535 miles. The day after we got home Shirley was feeling really tired, so I had her call the clinic and they told her to come in for blood work. Her counts had all bottomed out, so she was there most of the night getting platelets and blood. Doing better now, they are going to try to do chemo next week as long as her counts continue to climb. I'm so glad we were able to take the time and get away for at least a little while. It wore her out, but she really enjoyed it. Already talking about what we are going to do next year as long as she is healthy enough to travel.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
imported post

Well, its been a while since I've post on this blog, or even on the site. Been busy with 12hr days at work plus long weekends there. We had a scare the last couple of weeks here. Shirley was put on a different chemo drug, one that comes in a pill form. She was suppose to take it once a day for 21 days, then 7 days off. She took it the first week and started running a slight fever the second day she took it, thought nothing of it as it wasn't listed as a side effect. Her fever got worse each day until she ended up in the ER on Sunday with a 103.6 fever. Was able to break it with a couple of Tylenol eventually, but her fever kept geting worse. On Tuesday it was up over 105 and back to the ER at OHSU. She was told to stop the chemo by the oncologist on staff that day, which she had already done, and was told not to take it anymore. They figured that she was having a bad reaction to the drug. Now we are awaiting a heart test to see if her heart is healthy enough to continue with a different chemo. I don't know what they are planning on putting her on, but the last time we talked to her transplant doctor he said that the last drug she was on was the last one they had to try. Hoping that there are some clinical trials going on that she can get into. So, thats whats been going on in our little world, working and taking care of my wife.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
imported post

Hey guys, its been quite a while since my last post here. Been busy working a ton of hours and taking care of my wife. She passed away on the 10th of this month after a long battle with cancer. The last 3 weeks she went down hill very fast and I was out of work to take care of her. She is no longer suffering and having to go through the chemo treatments, for that I am happy. But I miss her so much it hurts. I lost a good friend to the same cancer on the same day and another good friend lost his dad yesterday to cancer. Its been a rough last couple of weeks, I hope it turns around real quick, I can't take any more of this.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
imported post

Rob,

Words can not express how sorry I am for your loss. I will keep Shirley in my prayers.

Marc

21 - 25 of 25 Posts