Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I thought I had a thread for this, but I couldn't find it through the search. Wanted to update things here, just updated her CaringBridge site. Shirley's cancer has returned already, we found out on her birthday that her spline was swollen again and crowding out her stomach, has lost 6 lbs over the last 2 months. We were hoping that the stem cell transplant would keep her clean for several more years, but that didn't happen. She starts chemo next week, same stuff she was on the last time she had chemo. It worked great in cleaning out her bone marrow and lymph nodes last time, so we are hoping for the same results this time. We will go from there, see what the next steps are. They may just try to keep it in check with chemo as she is not wanting to do the stem cell transplant again, she was so sick from it the first time they did it that she doesn't want to go through it again. So, thats where we are at right now, just wanted to keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
imported post

So sorry to hear that the transplant didn't last as long...I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

-Randy

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
imported post

Rob,I hope Shirley is going to be okay,and this time around she is cleaned out of this horrible disease.I will keep you both in my thoughts,and prayers.I'm so sorry she has to go through this again.It must be so disheartening.But be strong,and keep the faith and i'm sure Shirley will make it through.God Bless you guys.All the best buddy.....Dom

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
imported post

My heart goes out to your family.....

·
Registered
471 Posts
imported post

I am truly sorry for your wife's condition. My father just went through the transplant over the holidays this past year. I saw first hand what that does to someone.I am so sorry that the cancer is back. She must be an incredibly strong woman! My best wishes to her for a speedy recovery and good health. All the best!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers everyone. We are keeping our heads up. Shirley has already said that she will not go through the stem cell transplant again, it made her so sick and took so much out of her that she doesn't want to go through it again. We are hoping that they can control it with chemo for a while. We'll see what the plan is after the first round. We had some things planned for this summer and we are not going to let this deter us from our plans. She has always wanted to see the Redwoods, so we are doing that in Aug.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

Your wife is in our prayers, and I gave my sister your sceeen name here for her to add you and your wife to their FB Prayer list.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Just a little update. Shirley had her first 3 days of chemo and was due to get more last week but her platelet and white count were critically low, so they postponed it until things got better. She received a platelet and blood transfusion last Saturday. She went in today for a PET scan and they drew blood for a CBC, found out that her counts were still critically low, so she is getting more platelets and possibly blood today. I don't know when they will be able to restart her chemo regimen, but they can't do it with her counts down as low as they are. This is really wearing on her right now, sick and tired of being sick and tired. Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers, it means alot to us.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the update-I have been wondering how the treatment was going. I went through this with my sister about ten years ago, and what you have described is consistent with her condition. So this really hits home with me. Hang in their GUYS:)-attitude has a lot to do with it-GOD BLESS!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Had a great day yesterday. Shirley was feeling better, so we drove to The Dalles for a Scion car show at the local dealership. The Dalles was celebrating Rodeo Days with a parade in the morning, the car show that afternoon and rodeo in the evening. We had a chance to be in the parade with the rest of the cars, but couldn't get there before the start, Shirley had to have blood work done first thing in the morning. We got there in time to watch the parade and get the car cleaned up. Had a great turnout with people driving from as far away as Seattle for the day. I ended up winning 1st in the stock class and peoples choice, each came with a trophy and $100, not a bad day at all. Shirley is back at the clinic this morning for more blood work, and as I'm typing this from work she calls and says that she has to stay and get a platelet transfusion this morning. I hope they get this under control or she won't be able to resume her chemotherapy.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Well, we've been fighting with the insurance company to get one of Shirley's chemo drugs, Arzerra, paid for, have an appeal in now showing that she had good results from the same drug the last time she got it. She's had treatment the last 3 days without the Arzerra and is feeling a little under the weather, but not as bad as the Arzerra made her feel. We go back on Wed. to have labs done. If they look good, then we are heading off to Reno for the weekend. Her doctor isn't too happy about that, but she told him that this was our one trip and if she felt up to it, she was going. Really hoping that everything goes good so that we can take our time coming home and do the things she wants to do, like drive through the redwoods. She has never been through them and is something she has always wanted to do.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts