Watch Freeks banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Great post Chaz!

I love my Vostok Amphibia, only problem is the mainspring broke after a few weeks of wear, so it barely keeps 20 hours of reserve, even if I wear it all day long. Meranom is permanently out of stock on replacement parts for it, so I'm stuck trying to find a donor Amphibia.

I also have quite a few other Vostoks, including some brass cased Ostwoks (a brand some Swiss importer created back in the 90s). Quite enjoy wearing them!

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just UPS, don't trust anything that has to go through the Russian Post office first! UPS all the way!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just UPS, don't trust anything that has to go through the Russian Post office first! UPS all the way!
Oh well, I'm taking my chances with Air Mail. Just couldn't see paying $23 in freight for a $66 watch. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Have you had a bad experience with Russian air mail?
I have the Yellow Dial I ordered online from Meranom on the 26th of June, and tracking says it's ready to ship on the 9th of July and has yet to be updated with any further progress. I only paid $155 delivered for both the Blue and Red dial combined, and they were delivered by UPS in less than a week and a half.

The $79 for the watched shipped UPS, is still a better price then you could pick it up on Amazon.

Reactions: rh747m

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have the Yellow Dial I ordered online from Meranom on the 26th of June, and tracking says it's ready to ship on the 9th of July and has yet to be updated with any further progress. I only paid $155 delivered for both the Blue and Red dial combined, and they were delivered by UPS in less than a week and a half.

The $79 for the watched shipped UPS, is still a better price then you could pick it up on Amazon.
I have read on other forums that Vostoks being shipped to the US from Russia can sometimes be a bit of a nightmare (some people waiting months). Being in Europe, I received mine within 2 weeks. 🤷‍♂️

Honestly, I don't think Covid will be helping.... Locally it took an online retailer 4 weeks to ship me a USB cable, that they had in stock...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Last I checked it had been shipped and was in its way to the Netherlands and then the USA. No issues yet. 🤞

·
Registered
264 Posts
I own a Vostok radio room, and have owned a few others in the past. The OP forgot to mention the awful bracelets, dreadful bezel, and dials that look like they have been printed on rice paper. Vostoks are Vostoks, and they are great fun. What we shouldn't be doing is getting them mixed up with watches that cost three times as much, and then believing they are as good.

·
Registered
362 Posts

Right you are about Amazon but if I had opted for UPS it would have been $89 ($66 for the watch + $23 for shipping). I think it'll work out fine.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I own a Vostok radio room, and have owned a few others in the past. The OP forgot to mention the awful bracelets, dreadful bezel, and dials that look like they have been printed on rice paper. Vostoks are Vostoks, and they are great fun. What we shouldn't be doing is getting them mixed up with watches that cost three times as much, and then believing they are as good.
The whole Vostok experience is new to me. Three months ago I didn't know they existed. Since I've been on WatchFreeks I've noticed varying opinions about these watches. I've been a huge Seiko and Citizen fan most of my adult life but it's time to expand my horizons now that I'm retired and have more time to pursue this hobby. Vostok's are cheap so it's a low risk purchase and I'm not going into it with high expectations. I enjoy listening to different opinions and then judging a product for myself. I hope to be pleasantly surprised with my new Vostok when it arrives in the next two weeks. (y)

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have read on other forums that Vostoks being shipped to the US from Russia can sometimes be a bit of a nightmare (some people waiting months). Being in Europe, I received mine within 2 weeks. 🤷‍♂️

Honestly, I don't think Covid will be helping.... Locally it took an online retailer 4 weeks to ship me a USB cable, that they had in stock...
I ordered two watches from SovietMarket.com with the UPS delivery and they both were delivered in less than a week and a half.

Reactions: FBPB

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Bracelets have improved, but not much, the bezel and the dials are vastly improved, don't judge new model Vostoks by yours... for example. This one came on a rubber strap as least as thick and nice that came on one of my Glycines.

20200723_135726_resized by Charles Ford, on Flickr

Reactions: FBPB

·
Registered
264 Posts
The whole Vostok experience is new to me. Three months ago I didn't know they existed. Since I've been on WatchFreeks I've noticed varying opinions about these watches. I've been a huge Seiko and Citizen fan most of my adult life but it's time to expand my horizons now that I'm retired and have more time to pursue this hobby. Vostok's are cheap so it's a low risk purchase and I'm not going into it with high expectations. I enjoy listening to different opinions and then judging a product for myself. I hope to be pleasantly surprised with my new Vostok when it arrives in the next two weeks. (y)
My entire watch collection comes under the heading of "Budget". Of course, that depends on your definition of budget. My 40 watches have an average price of about £250 ($300) Vostok watches can be addictive if you are not careful. The choice is massive, and the quality reasonable. There are lists of well priced, and in some cases very well made watches on the market, so never be afraid to spread your horizons. In the last year or so I have learned to appreciate micro-brands. If you do your research properly you can but significantly better watches for far less money than a high street brand, and the customer service tends to be a lot better.

·
Registered
265 Posts
In the meantime, you can enjoy watching people try to destroy them (and not succeeding): https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vostok+torture+test

·
Registered
362 Posts
My entire watch collection comes under the heading of "Budget". Of course, that depends on your definition of budget. My 40 watches have an average price of about £250 ($300) Vostok watches can be addictive if you are not careful. The choice is massive, and the quality reasonable. There are lists of well priced, and in some cases very well made watches on the market, so never be afraid to spread your horizons. In the last year or so I have learned to appreciate micro-brands. If you do your research properly you can but significantly better watches for far less money than a high street brand, and the customer service tends to be a lot better.
I don't know many micro-bands. Which are your favorite?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don't know many micro-bands. Which are your favorite?
Firstly it depends on your definition of micro-brand. Some believe they are watches that can not be found in retailers windows, but there are large companies such as Parnis who don't sell through third parties, but still shift many watches. That said, most companies who don't sell through retailers probably are classed as micro brands. On the budget end look at Heimdallr, San Martin, Geckota and Spinnaker. If you are feeling a bit more flush, Steinhart and Chris Ward. I am presently looking for a nice Helm or Borealis watch, but getting either at the price I want to pay is quite hard. Just check out the reviews on YouTube. More often than not you will get far more for your money. For example, a Heimdallr Turtle is technically a better watch than the original Seiko version, but a third of the price.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Those vids are hilarious. Just shows you how much people care about them. I mean, why not try and destroy an ugly POS. I guess anybody that succeeded, and I'm sure there were plenty, didn't bother to post. 🤣
Yeah, I have watched some reviews on people attempting to destroy watches, they are just idiots. I watched one yesterday of a horologist taking an entire movement apart, cleaning it, and then rebuilding it. The man is a total genius. He then cut the watch in half with a angle grinder.

The best proper reviews are done by "just one more watch". Of course, you won't find reviews on every watch made, but he covers a fair few of them, and he really knows what he is talking about. Most reviewers (not all) review the watch, not the brand, which in turn gives a far more accurate indication of how good the item is.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Firstly it depends on your definition of micro-brand. Some believe they are watches that can not be found in retailers windows, but there are large companies such as Parnis who don't sell through third parties, but still shift many watches. That said, most companies who don't sell through retailers probably are classed as micro brands. On the budget end look at Heimdallr, San Martin, Geckota and Spinnaker. If you are feeling a bit more flush, Steinhart and Chris Ward. I am presently looking for a nice Helm or Borealis watch, but getting either at the price I want to pay is quite hard. Just check out the reviews on YouTube. More often than not you will get far more for your money. For example, a Heimdallr Turtle is technically a better watch than the original Seiko version, but a third of the price.
Thanks for the info. Other than the San Martin, this Vaer is the only other micro-brand in my collection.

IMG_20200729_133026240.jpg

21 - 40 of 41 Posts