Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I set Scuba dude to my thermo-compensated Quartz Chronometer 3 days ago (there is a trick to hacking these Russian watches just like on the 7s Seikos) and so far Mr. Scuba Dude is running 1.6 seconds fast a day.

Scuba Dude has been running no faster than +5 since the day he arrived a year ago or so.

Not one of my 7 Vostoks runs slow and they all run less than +8 seconds a day.

The free-turning, non-ratcheting bezels are actually designed that way because once under the depth of 10 feet the water pressure keeps them in place.

The floppy crown is also designed that way so a blow to the crown won't send the stem into the movement and break the watch.

The case back has a locking ring that holds the case back in, not the whole case back screwing in, and screwing out. That leads to the requirement of replacing the sealing gaskets since they get stripped by the case back being screwed in and out of them. The case back actually depresses with the water pressure as you dive deeper (I never go deeper than 5' in my pool) as does the thick acrylic domed Crystal, it compresses also, both combined making the watch more waterproof the deeper you dive.

The domed Cyrstal is a thing of beauty, all brands are now trying to replicate these with Sapphire at a high price. Yes Acrylic crystal scratch, but not as easy as one would think, and they can be cleaned up easily with Polywatch, and even a quick wipe down with my gun cleaner, Ballistol.

If these watches had a Swiss pedigree, and these specs, people would be salivating over them.

31 Jewel in-house automatic movement.

Stainless steel compressor case for 200m WR with 10 year service intervals.

Domed clear thick acrylic crystals, just like on a Speedy "Man on the Moon"

But since they are Commie designed Russian Crap you can purchase for $65, $77 delivered within 10 days via UPS, yep they are complete Junk!

20200726_100107_resized by Charles Ford, on Flickr

Reactions: FBPB and rh747m

·
Registered
402 Posts
Well, I set Scuba dude to my thermo-compensated Quartz Chronometer 3 days ago (there is a trick to hacking these Russian watches just like on the 7s Seikos) and so far Mr. Scuba Dude is running 1.6 seconds fast a day.

Scuba Dude has been running no faster than +5 since the day he arrived a year ago or so.

Not one of my 7 Vostoks runs slow and they all run less than +8 seconds a day.

The free-turning, non-ratcheting bezels are actually designed that way because once under the depth of 10 feet the water pressure keeps them in place.

The floppy crown is also designed that way so a blow to the crown won't send the stem into the movement and break the watch.

The case back has a locking ring that holds the case back in, not the whole case back screwing in, and screwing out. That leads to the requirement of replacing the sealing gaskets since they get stripped by the case back being screwed in and out of them. The case back actually depresses with the water pressure as you dive deeper (I never go deeper than 5' in my pool) as does the thick acrylic domed Crystal, it compresses also, both combined making the watch more waterproof the deeper you dive.

The domed Cyrstal is a thing of beauty, all brands are now trying to replicate these with Sapphire at a high price. Yes Acrylic crystal scratch, but not as easy as one would think, and they can be cleaned up easily with Polywatch, and even a quick wipe down with my gun cleaner, Ballistol.

If these watches had a Swiss pedigree, and these specs, people would be salivating over them.

31 Jewel in-house automatic movement.

Stainless steel compressor case for 200m WR with 10 year service intervals.

Domed clear thick acrylic crystals, just like on a Speedy "Man on the Moon"

But since they are Commie designed Russian Crap you can purchase for $65, $77 delivered within 10 days via UPS, yep they are complete Junk!

20200726_100107_resized by Charles Ford, on Flickr
Good commentary. What is your favorite Vostok?

·
Super Moderator
9,953 Posts
Yeah, what an entertaining, and just plain exhilarating post Chaz ! 😲😎
Really like how much you know about their watches, and have such a
feel for every detail, along with specification of these beauties. 🙂 You
can hear, or at least read the passion in your words here, and it makes
me appreciate Vostok even more honestly, and I already had thought
they were cool. 😀

Just the designs are fantastic, and different, but the bang for the buck
is terrific. ..Oh, and love seeing your Certina next to Scuba dude btw !
Thanks so much Chaz !!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
This one is more than accurate enough for me. Not the greatest power reserve. And there's the date adjust trick where while nowhere near as fast as quickset, at least you're not winding around and around to advance one day either.

Yep, I really like that one 👍. Does the bezel on this one work as Chaz describes above?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I would have to test it out if we ever go cruising again in the Caribbean but at this point that's a big IF. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good commentary. What is your favorite Vostok?

It's a toss up right now between Scuba Dude and the Red Dial, although when the Yellow dial arrives from the Gulag in Siberia it's being held in, I might have to change my mind.

PayPal dispute in progress for the Yellow dial, it's been in a holding pattern since the 9th of this month, always coming up, "Cleared Customs, waiting for shipping from Sharapova". Ordered the watch over a month ago!

From now on, any watch I order from Russia is going to be from SovietMarket.com ordered, delivered in 10 days via UPS!

Reactions: rh747m

·
Registered
402 Posts
It's a toss up right now between Scuba Dude and the Red Dial, although when the Yellow dial arrives from the Gulag in Siberia it's being held in, I might have to change my mind.

PayPal dispute in progress for the Yellow dial, it's been in a holding pattern since the 9th of this month, always coming up, "Cleared Customs, waiting for shipping from Sharapova". Ordered the watch over a month ago!

From now on, any watch I order from Russia is going to be from SovietMarket.com ordered, delivered in 10 days via UPS!
That's good to hear about Soviet Market. They have a good selection so I'll probably order one from them.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This one is more than accurate enough for me. Not the greatest power reserve. And there's the date adjust trick where while nowhere near as fast as quickset, at least you're not winding around and around to advance one day either.

The power reserve is not a strong point, maybe a day and a half tops. The date change is a hassle, but nt as bda

The power reserve certainly isn't it's strong suit, about a day and a half tops. The date change hack is OK, but still and pain.

If you noticed all the new ones I have purchased are all No-Dates to avoid the hassle.

Yours is a beaut, the Vostok 50 fathoms as they reference to it, that will be on the order list for me as well.

Reactions: rh747m

·
Registered
402 Posts

Found this one on Soviet Market. It's the Komandirskie 020741. Is it the same as yours?

6d18824cc1ef0567cbb43e711f8f7bb3.jpg

·
Registered
402 Posts

Found this one on Soviet Market. It's the Komandirskie 020741. Is it the same as yours?

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
402 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Reactions: FBPB

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's model 030787. 200m WR. The comrades at Vostok are evolving:

It's currently out of stock at SovietMarket, but I have a notification alert when it comes back in stock.

Reactions: rh747m and FBPB
1 - 20 of 41 Posts