Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

http://www.dailydot.com/technology/skarp-laser-razor-kickstarter/?fb=dd

The future of shaving might have nothing to do with blades at all.

A company called Skarp Technologies has developed a razor that shuns sharp metal for a heated laser. Skarp's futuristic spin on the everyday razor is designed for use by men and women alike, and its laser beam purportedly gets close enough to one’s skin to smoothly and safely melt through body and facial hair.

Skarp co-founder Morgan Gustavsson first conceived of the idea in 2001, but laser technology wasn't yet sufficiently developed to cut lighter shades of hair. He and co-founder Paul Binun collaborated over the next several years until they discovered a laser wavelength that could melt right through any hair color.

The razor runs on one AAA battery, which the company says will power the device for 50,000 hours of shaving satisfaction. It sounds like a personal care product out of Star Trek.

Skarp’s blockbuster Kickstarter project has handily cleared $1 million in crowdfunding from more than 10,000 individuals to kick off the manufacturing process at scale. There are still 18 days of fundraising to go, so those numbers will only climb.

If the finished product works as described and hits the mainstream, it stands to be environmentally and hygienically significant. Shaving with a laser-razor ostensibly avoids razor burn, skin infection, and irritation entirely, and Skarp says 2 billion razors and razor heads are thrown away every year in the U.S. alone; they can’t be recycled due to hygiene issues. With the Skarp razor designed to be long-lasting and resilient—it's even waterproof—it might just put a dent in a wasteful problem while preserving smooth skin.

This razor is purpose-built and non-disposable, so it's pricier than one might expect. At the time of this writing, a limited number of preorders are available for $189, and you can buy two razors at once for $299. Backers can expect to receive their laser-razors in March of 2016.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
According to their FAQ there is no burning hair smell. Not sure how that can be, but that's what they say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
I saw this the other night. Whole thing on Reddit, they have no prototype, and 2 of 3 guys have beards, and one unshaven....means they have no real product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
I can finally get that Brazilian I've been wanting. :laughing:

Reactions: nine

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Dollar Shave Club

It seems like the place to note that I'm a member of the dollar shave club. For 6 bucks, they ship me a nice razor and 4 cartridges every month that are great. They pivot nicely around my gorgeous face and have a nice sensitive strip and feel solid. Its an excellent club. You can leave if you ever want to but I think you'll find 6 bucks a month to be a great deal and a whole lot better than dealing with the drugstore razors. I also have a Braun electric but I don't like it as much as the razor and hardly use it. I do really like the shave club though. If anybody wants a high end Braun wet/dry at a steal price, let me know. :)

·
Senior Freek
1,829 Posts
It seems like the place to note that I'm a member of the dollar shave club. For 6 bucks, they ship me a nice razor and 4 cartridges every month that are great. They pivot nicely around my gorgeous face and have a nice sensitive strip and feel solid. Its an excellent club. You can leave if you ever want to but I think you'll find 6 bucks a month to be a great deal and a whole lot better than dealing with the drugstore razors. I also have a Braun electric but I don't like it as much as the razor and hardly use it. I do really like the shave club though. If anybody wants a high end Braun wet/dry at a steal price, let me know. :)
There are a number of shave clubs out there that have great reviews. I have a buddy who is part of one and he loves it.

Me? Oh, how nice of you all to ask. I don't shave. I haven't put a razor to my face in a long time. I simply hate shaving and have sensitive skin to boot. I wear a beard and mustache proudly! I keep it trimmed with hair clippers, beard trimmer, mustache comb, and mustache scissors. A once a week trim is enough to keep me looking appropriate.

Now with that said, if this technology proves successful, I may have to try one out and see what happens. If I can shave and not have an angry face as a result, maybe I'll switch things up... maybe.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Nate - if you like the Dollar Shave Club, you may want to check out Dorco USA (the company that supplies the Dollar Shave Club). It is cheaper buying direct from them - I usually buy close to a whole year of blades when they have good sale prices+coupon code. My last order was for 40 6-blade cartridges, and a handle with 2 cartridges - and with a coupon for $20 off a $50 order, I paid $32.74 and free shipping and the blades should last me 42 weeks ($0.78/week compared to Dollar Shave Club of $1.50/week). Both are great options though compared to buying one of the major brands in stores. The nice thing about buying direct from Dorco is they also sell razor systems and cartridges for women too, so I'll order for my wife at the same time I buy my blades (she loves the Dorco Shai Soft Touch blades and they are waaaaay cheaper than Gillette Venus).

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Nate - if you like the Dollar Shave Club, you may want to check out Dorco USA (the company that supplies the Dollar Shave Club). It is cheaper buying direct from them - I usually buy close to a whole year of blades when they have good sale prices+coupon code. My last order was for 40 6-blade cartridges, and a handle with 2 cartridges - and with a coupon for $20 off a $50 order, I paid $32.74 and free shipping and the blades should last me 42 weeks ($0.78/week compared to Dollar Shave Club of $1.50/week). Both are great options though compared to buying one of the major brands in stores. The nice thing about buying direct from Dorco is they also sell razor systems and cartridges for women too, so I'll order for my wife at the same time I buy my blades (she loves the Dorco Shai Soft Touch blades and they are waaaaay cheaper than Gillette Venus).

Thanks for the excellent tip here, Rob. I'll check out Dorco for sure.

:smileyface_hand_cla

·
Banned
754 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Have you ever used Schick Hydro? I love it. I shave twice a week and I'm interested in knowing if you have tried the Hydro line to could tell us if ^^^ those are better, similar or whatever.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Have you ever used Schick Hydro? I love it. I shave twice a week and I'm interested in knowing if you have tried the Hydro line to could tell us if ^^^ those are better, similar or whatever.
Hi Luis - I've never tried the Schick Hydro. I formerly used the Gillette Mach 3 and Fusion blades with good results. I could eke more shaves per blade from the Gillette products than the Dorco blades (I shave daily including head). But I can shave a solid week with each Dorco blade, the results are smooth, and with their 6 blade design I never have any nicks or cuts. And at a cost of less than $1 per cartridge, I don't feel bad swapping in a new one whenever needed instead of trying to get a few more shaves out of the more expensive ones.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Wow ! Great info ! Thank you. I also shave my head. Yeah the Hydro (for my skin) is way better than the Fusion and Mach 3's as far as how smooth it feels and effortlessly and pretty much everything. Good to know we have great alternatives. My last purchase was 16 cartridges for maybe $28 off eBay so I was happy but I'm glad to know I could try this route when I'm almost done with my cartridges. In theory, I could shave almost a whole month with just one of the blades you recommend.

Thanks a lot.

Btw, I wanna take this opportunity and suggest ya'll try Conditioner for shaving (beard, head and wherever). I stopped using foams and shaving lotions maybe 15 years ago. Saves you money but it really just feels better, for my skin at least. I use the "1 step up" from the cheapest and get a bunch of compliments on my baldhead and skin.

·
3,979 Posts
Spaceview
In the bldg I work in, there was a company named American Laser
They used laser tech to remove body hair. Pricey too. And follow up
visits were the rule.
The company became insolvent and threw in the towel.
Don't know the similarities between this instrument and the ones
used by American Laser. I'm assuming they are alike?

Lou Snutt

·
Senior Freek
1,829 Posts
Spaceview
In the bldg I work in, there was a company named American Laser
They used laser tech to remove body hair. Pricey too. And follow up
visits were the rule.
The company became insolvent and threw in the towel.
Don't know the similarities between this instrument and the ones
used by American Laser. I'm assuming they are alike?

Lou Snutt
Laser hair removal burns out the follicle to prevent future hair growth. It takes follow-up visits to ensure that all the follicles are scared up enough that they no longer will produce hair. At least that is how I understand it. This should be a less powerful laser with a specific wave length to interact with molecule in the hair itself. It also appears that the laser is being projected across the front of the "blade" so the hair is running into it, whereas the hair removal is shooting the blade into the hair dermis/hair follicle.

... I work in mental health, and I am not a doctor. I just read a lot...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts