Watch Freeks banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in my younger days I was a pretty good pole vaulter. And in 1991 I won the high school division of The Pennsylvania (Penn) Relays. The award was a Hamilton presentation watch. I always thought it was one of the cooler awards for track and field that I ever received. On a side not I broke the meet record that day and held it for the next 16 years. :cool:

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Very cool watch and even cooler story. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: bracky72

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
WOW! That truly is special, one of a kind! What a cool item to remember your achievement with.

Speaking of pole vaulting, this was my son's first year on his school's track team, and he discovered pole vaulting and has fallen head-over-heels in love with it. We want to help him in any way we can to improve and to build his confidence.

Any advice for the parents of a young pole vaulter?

Thanks for sharing the neat story and great pictures!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Nice watch and great story.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Very nice. I was a state champion discuss thrower and never got anything as cool as that. Lots of ribbons and trophies that are mostly gone now. Congrats on the great keepsake.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW! That truly is special, one of a kind! What a cool item to remember your achievement with.

Speaking of pole vaulting, this was my son's first year on his school's track team, and he discovered pole vaulting and has fallen head-over-heels in love with it. We want to help him in any way we can to improve and to build his confidence.

Any advice for the parents of a young pole vaulter?

Thanks for sharing the neat story and great pictures!

That's fantastic! Beginning pole vaulting can be daunting. It helps to have a coach that knows the sport and other vaulters around so he can get a feel for how it's supposed to be done. Pole vaulting summer camps can really help supplement what you learn at school during the year. I could probably recommend one depending on where you live.

On the physical side I recommend competing in some other events to cross train. Some good ones are the high jump, long jump and hurdles.

Youtube is a treasure trove of great vaulting videos. I used to huddle over old grainy vhs tapes to watch great pole vaulting but it's now just a few clicks away. Two vaulters I recommend watching are Sergey Bubka and Renaud Lavillenie.

I've always said you can't pole vault casually. You have to be all in. But it should be fun and safe so take it day by day and see how he progresses. :smile-thumb2:

·
11,577 Posts
Special Indeed!! Looking at that Hammy will always bring back great memories I'm sure. Very Nice!!

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,736 Posts
If you are not wearing it, make sure to remove the battery.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately the original battery is still inside. The watch as well as all my other awards and such have been at my parent all these years. I will remove the battery soon and attempt to preserve the watch although I know it will never run again. Back in my vaulting days I actually wore it thinking nothing of the achievement. lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts