Watch Freeks banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/150-watch-terrifying-apple-luxury-184402938.html

Watch out, Apple — a cheaper competitor is coming for you.

Sales of the Apple Watch have been disappointing amid criticism that it's uncomfortable, difficult to read, and too complicated to use. And on top of that, it's really expensive.

The classic version starts at $549. There's the cheaper Sport version that is $349 to $399, and the very high-priced Edition version that can cost you between $10,000 and $12,000.

This costly product is a tough sell for millennials, who are already strapped for cash.

But now, Slate reports Swatch's Sistem51 could potentially challenge Apple, as it wins in the price department at a low $150. Slate enthusiastically proclaimed that this watch will "change everything."
The 100% Swiss-made watch never runs out of battery and is powered by the movement of the person wearing it.

This watch earns its status because it's the opposite of the Apple Watch: It's simple, and yet innovative. It's an automatic watch, and it isn't pretentious.

Business Insider's Matthew DeBord called it "the coolest $150 watch in the world" and hailed the watch for "reducing the number of parts in the movement to 51, about half of what a typical automatic watch requires." Additionally, watch blogs, such as Hodinkee, have been singing the Sistem51's praises.

The low cost could truly make it more appealing to those who were halting on spending money on big-ticket purchases, like the Apple Watch — or even a fashion watch.

The combination of price, simplicity, and convenience make it an appealing choice for young consumers.

Further, millennials are spending the majority of their money on items such as technology versus apparel and accessories.

(REUTERS/Danny Moloshok) The Apple Watch is plagued by criticism it is too expensive.

Watches could fall somewhere in between tech and apparel, but a YouGov survey found that 60% of 16- to 34-year-olds didn't think watches were necessary in the age of smartphones.

This makes it unlikely they would shell out hundreds of dollars for the Apple Watch.

The Apple Watch also faces a problem that analog watches do not: battery life. The Sistem51 runs for 90 hours, while regular mechanical watches last about 40. The Apple Watch, with an 18-hour battery life, requires a nightly charging.

While tech enthusiasts might still find the allure in the Apple Watch, regular consumers might find solace in this watch's simplicity. And with a reasonable price tag, you won't have to think too hard about shelling out for it.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
one story reads that apple watch is going to take over the universe and then there are these stories. LOL

Personally I am getting sick of reading these adverts for this idea or another whose primary purpose is to influence stock prices.

BTW -- there are many companies who already produce simple solid watches under the $150 range. Just because Millenials dont buy into it right now doesn't mean it wont happen in the near future. Tastes change and trends get created and destroyed over night based on those tastes. The iWatch and its impact on watch sales? That is still very much open to debate. I am not smart enough to say one way or another.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Spaceview
Ive read recently that tha Swatch 51 is non repairable, 51 parts watch.
If this is true, why buy a System 51 when I can buyba Seiko 5 that CAN
be repaired. Ive owned dozens of watches in my 78 years and am not
impressed by the System 51 (not incl Swatch watch Nazi tactics to boot)
or a PC App on my wrist that needs charging every 24 hours.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I have to agree with what's said above. The Sistem 51 has not been as accurate as Swatch says it is, from what I've read on forums. It's a hit or miss, just like any mechanical but can't be regulated or fixed if broke.
Apple, who cares. If you have a smart phone, which I do not, why get the watch? so it can alert you to a message or e-mail, then you take your phone out to check it. Doesn't the phone do that?
Now, if we were talking Dick Tracy watch, then these smart watches would make sense, but until then, everybody is just wasting their money IMO

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
First, why are we comparing a cheap semi-disposable automatic watch with a high end networked smart watch?

Second, Apple doesn't break down the specific numbers for its device sales, but I'd be willing to bet the Apple watch in the few months it has been available has outsold every other smart watch on the market combined (ie. Pebble, Samsung, Motorola, etc...).

I'm not a fan of smart watches personally. I love the idea of them, but they don't fit into my life as of now. On the other hand, I don't see how a cheap automatic that was not exactly turning the world on end before is going to make any difference to Apple now or in the future.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
First, why are we comparing a cheap semi-disposable automatic watch with a high end networked smart watch?

Second, Apple doesn't break down the specific numbers for its device sales, but I'd be willing to bet the Apple watch in the few months it has been available has outsold every other smart watch on the market combined (ie. Pebble, Samsung, Motorola, etc...).

I'm not a fan of smart watches personally. I love the idea of them, but they don't fit into my life as of now. On the other hand, I don't see how a cheap automatic that was not exactly turning the world on end before is going to make any difference to Apple now or in the future.
Some people write articles for the sake of writing with no intention of actually telling you something that is worthwhile reading. IWatch is a hot subject incertain circles so if you write about it it will get some action

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In terms of non-repairable, it seems you could drop a new movement in for a few bucks and basically have a new watch. The whole watch cost $150. The movement must be $25 tops. The bigger question is will Swatch allow access to parts?

Reactions: ganson

·
Registered
50 Posts
With all due respect....that's an asinine comparison.

I saw a thread once where they tried to disassemble the Swatch Sistem 51...they literally had to destroy the watch to get to the insides.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I dont like saying "never", because you will almost always do what you say you would never do.
So avoiding the word "never", I will say its HIGHLY unlikely that I will ever get a smart watch like the Apple watch,or the System 51.
OK, yep, I am older. Yep, I own real watches. But I will also say, yep , I have a number of Casio watches that are almost smart, lol. They do useful things like tell temp, weather, chronographs, ETC.
I also own a apple Ipod, and a Mac. Not to mention a few tablets.
I just simply have no desire to be THAT connected to everything.
One thing I learned to hate in the 1990's, were pagers. I HATED being able to be reached anytime, anywhere. I HATED having to HAVE to carry the damn things. I didn't have my first cell phone until about 2006, on purpose because of that hatred. And even now, my cell phone is off roughly 3/4 of the year.
So I rather doubt Ill have the desire to be that connected again.
Rod

Reactions: Spaceview

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am traveling this week. My travel case holds 5 watches and one on the wrist. My MOTO 360 did NOT make the trip. For me it is a toy. Something to play with and have fun. There are almost 10K free watch faces you can add, many apps, and other toy like features. It is something I play with at home. On my trip I took real watches that I can wear in the pool, at a business meeting or out to dinner. I left the toys at home. That is how i look at it. I love the MOTO but it has it's place and that is how I look at the smartwatch phenomenon. You can look at it however you wish. This is just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
I dont like saying "never", because you will almost always do what you say you would never do.
So avoiding the word "never", I will say its HIGHLY unlikely that I will ever get a smart watch like the Apple watch,or the System 51.
OK, yep, I am older. Yep, I own real watches. But I will also say, yep , I have a number of Casio watches that are almost smart, lol. They do useful things like tell temp, weather, chronographs, ETC.
I also own a apple Ipod, and a Mac. Not to mention a few tablets.
I just simply have no desire to be THAT connected to everything.
One thing I learned to hate in the 1990's, were pagers. I HATED being able to be reached anytime, anywhere. I HATED having to HAVE to carry the damn things. I didn't have my first cell phone until about 2006, on purpose because of that hatred. And even now, my cell phone is off roughly 3/4 of the year.
So I rather doubt Ill have the desire to be that connected again.
Rod

The System 51 is not a smart watch, but an inexpensive swatch automatic.

I will say I agree with you about being connected constantly.

Unfortunately I have to have my cell phone with me at all times. My job demands it.

I think maybe that's another reason I don't want a smart watch. I'm connected enough. I have the phone in my pocket. I don't need to get alerts on my wrist as well. I'm sorry. I hear people say it's convenient to have alerts on your wrist and not have to pull phone out of pocket all the time. Really? We that lazy? Solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I think that's my biggest issue. The watch does not work without the phone right by it.

I sometimes run to the store and leave my phone at the house. Now maybe if these things worked in a situation like that where I didn't need my phone on me or within 50 feet...I can see a use. But as it is, I can go out on my porch, maybe, if the phone is in the kitchen and it will work. Again..maybe.
Plus I need to charge it every night., along with my phone.

Maybe in 5 years when they become useful in the ways I described above, I'll think about it at that time.

Currently just an expensive toy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
The article is poor.

That being said I own a sistem51 and I think its amazing from an watch making perspective.

You can obviously list all the flaws of the final product because there are many but the movement is great.

51 parts, 1 screw, 90 hours reserve time? That is just amazingly efficient.

I paid the premium for the R&D behind it and I don't wear it ever (got the white one that would get dirty once it comes out of the box) but I appreciate it and would be amazed if company can makes a movement that is any simpler that this one.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I'll add that I really dig what Swatch did with the Sistem 51, and it is a cool piece (although not my style). Just hate articles that say company A is doomed because company B did something completely unrelated.

It's comparing apples to orangutans.

·
Registered
489 Posts
My wife has an Apple Watch and she absolutely loves it. On the other hand, I love my mechanicals with their analog displays and classic/conservative designs. Two differing views on timepieces, as you can see, and perhaps one could even say they're opposing points on the preference spectrum. This watch sits squarely in the middle and I don't see either one of us getting one.

I'm not exactly sure what Swatch is trying to do with this product. Trying to revive/reinvent the Swatch craze of the 90's? In today's connected world, that might prove harder to do.

And just like Ganson said, "Its's comparing apples to orangutans." Couldn't have put it better myself.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
That watch was introduced in 2013 and the original Swatch Quartz also had 51 parts. To repeat this in a mechanical watch is quite a feat but if it will again save the Swiss (mechanical) watch industry remains to be seen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts