25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The Watchgeek Blog is Active...

·
Registered
499 Posts
imported post

Today, my first blog is dedicated to Thanksgiving. I am thankful to be an American, I am thankful for my Wife of 40 years, I am truly thankful for my God. Some of us have had a different upbringing, some of us have had very difficult lives and some of us are still lost in this big world. I find that people are the best medicine, when I was 10 years old, in the hospital for another surgery, I had to go to physical therapy daily. They would turn the turnbuckles on my cast and then make me walk on my walking cast around the room. I hated all the people that made me do it, I only got to see my parents for 4 hours on Sundays. I could only see my sisters from the third story window. I would cry my self to sleep every Sunday. On Monday therapy sessions the girl next to me in therapy (much older than me, about 18) would tell me how lucky we were. Everyday we were alive was a blessing, we were blessed with friends from all walks of life here in the hospital. After a month of her daily encouragement I final came around. I would look forward to my daily chats with a grownup. I never got to see her in person because we had those bed drapes pulled around each child for modesty. Day after day she was so upbeat that it was infectious. My last day of therapy and my last day in the hospital was a big day for me. I was going home to my Mom and Dad and would get to see my sisters close up and get to talk to them. Before leaving for home I asked to talk to the wonderful girl that befriended me. The first answer was no, she did not like to see other people. I insisted and told them she was my friend. The staff ask this young girl if I could come to her room and say goodbye. She said yes.

Well, to this day I get tears in my eye's when I remember that day. This girl was so beautiful and long black hair that it burned the sight into me for life. The second thing was so shocking and gave me more meaning to life as I grew older. The outgoing, wonderfully infectious girl that gave me hope for life was not any bigger than a 9 month old baby with a fully shaped and mature head and face. She was bound to bed for life, but she would not give up. 50 some years later, I think about her and what wonderful things she experienced since I last saw her. She has giving me life. Always remember, No matter what is going wrong for you, we have it better than most people on the earth. We have tomorrows for life.

I give thanks to all my new friends on Watchfreeks and wish you all health and good fortune in your life. Remember, If you do not mind, it does not matter, if you mind it matters. Be free and Give Thanks we are Americans.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Amazing post my friend. Thank you for sharing. I really look forward to reading more of your posts in the future.

·
Registered
499 Posts
imported post

Not a lot of postings but hopefully they are inspiring.

Is blood thicker than water? My first response is NO. As one of life's frequent quotes, "He/She is family, blood is thicker than water". I only bring this up because of the cop killer here in Parkland Washington. Most of his family helped protect and hide the killer. It begs the question why? Why would anyone protect a self proclaimed killer? I know I could not even if the killer was one of my children. I feel that the correct parent and loving father would turn the killer in. Not only for the killers own protection but to help the person defeat the demons in their life. No one deserves the fate of the officers that early Sunday morning.

Now the second question, what is a Father or Mother? Are they the ones that brought you into this world or are they the ones that gave you your foundation and being. I believe anyone can have a 60 second moment but it takes special people to be there for you day in and out. The one who is always in the background giving you the support that you need to conquer life. We all tend to forget this important part of our life until it is too late. I am tired of hearing people blurting out how they wish they had spent more time with so and so. How much they miss them. Well, we the living still can call that special person and let them know what the relationship means to you. Do it today, before you have regrets. Do it now, Yes NOW. We all say we will do it later but later comes to late. Give your kids a hug no matter what their age. Call your Mother and Father no matter what day it is. Once gone, memory fades and then time runs together. Do it today, do it now.

On a lighter note: We are all blessed with a common thread in life. Be it watches, sports or just the love of life. Remember, we each are unique, There is only one of me and one of you. I look forward to my daily interactions with all of my unmeant friends. I look forward to your life adventures, I look forward to all the tomorrows life has to offer, I hope you do as well. Be blessed with the love of your life and I will post another prophetic blog soon.

Carl

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

Man Carl you are really deep... I thank you for you postings. They really make you think!!!! I again thank you!!! I look forward to the next ones.

·
Registered
499 Posts
imported post

What is a friend? Who is an acquaintance verses a friend? Are friends only in the real world or do they exist in cyberspace? How long do you have to know someone before you consider them a friend? Do they feel the same way about you? How come we never tell someone that they are a good friend? Why is it hard for Men to admit we need friends? Yes, we all consider our mates as friends but that is not the kind of friendship I am talking about. I hear from people the following. My buddy, my best friend, my fishing buddy and many, many more iterations of my friend. Can you count on your fingers your friends? Why do you need friends? How do you know they are a friend?

Yes, after all my years in this wonderful time in history I still do not know what makes a friend. I just know I have been blessed with a few great and wonderful friends. I strive to expand people in my network of friends and hope someday you and other WatchFreeks will come to consider me a friend in your busy and turbulent world as I have and do consider many of you as friends in cyberspace. Some I would love to include in my virtual world but time and space prevent us that privilege.

We use this and other blogs to expand our friendships but is there more? I know more about some of you freeks than I know of people that have been in my virtual world for years. I think I like the quote, You can choose your friends but not your relatives. Yes, I choose you to be in my friendship circle. I like that. It gives me piece of mind that we have something in common and respect each other. As different as we are, we are all the same.

More to come, CARL

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I have always felt very strongly that we have "fake" friends and "real" friends. There is nothing wrong with either, but they are very different (obviously).

To me - MOST EVERYONE you see daily, talk to daily, or just see occasionally is a "fake" friend. You are "friendly" with them, but not really "friends". Again, there is nothing wrong with this, it just is what it is.

Then there is the few people that you normally can count on one hand that are your real friends. I have found that most of us have a few of these real friends for the different chapters of their lives. Like high school, then college, then life after college in the different places you live. At each you build a few select close friendships that are real, but many many....many more that are fake.

Now what makes them one of the other is the hard thing to figure out as you mentioned brilliantly above. What has changed the game completely is the internet. People now have completely full AND REAL relationships and friendship online that are completely based many times on never ever actually meeting each other, seeing each other, or even hearing each others voices sometimes. It is a staggering change and shift in how we build the social relationships that tie us all together. I am not sure yet if this is a good or bad thing. i am not sure if anyone is. It is definitely more impersonal, but at the same time can be far more personal when people feel comfortable opening up without the fear of being hurt and the security of being ultimately anonymous.....

·
Registered
499 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
Now what makes them one of the other is the hard thing to figure out as you mentioned brilliantly above. What has changed the game completely is the internet. People now have completely full AND REAL relationships and friendship online that are completely based many times on never ever actually meeting each other, seeing each other, or even hearing each others voices sometimes. It is a staggering change and shift in how we build the social relationships that tie us all together. I am not sure yet if this is a good or bad thing. i am not sure if anyone is. It is definitely more impersonal, but at the same time can be far more personal when people feel comfortable opening up without the fear of being hurt and the security of being ultimately anonymous.....
James, The internet is as was the "Pen Pal" of yesteryear. I think with time, we will become a more rounded world with Pen Pal's all over the nation and in our case, the globe. We are again choosing the written word to put forth our ideals and dreams. Much better than just blurting out words with no record to be lived up to. NOW our words have meaning and we are accountable for our words. A lost practice that is welcomed back by many of us. CARL

·
Registered
499 Posts
imported post

Good day to you all.

I want to share with you my feelings for a wonderful person. I am about to take you on a journey of my feelings of love, and hate. I want to introduce my Mother and my Sister. My Mother is a very, very young 80, in fact most people thinks she is my younger sister. She is very youthful and full of life. My Mom is not the subject of my letter to you all. My sister will turn 60 this year. Yes, some how she got older than me, I am only going to be 62 this year.

Kathy, my younger eldest sister was a special care child. She was a forceps baby. For the younger readers out there, that is when the baby is pulled from the Mother with a set of forceps. The baby is pulled by the head from the womb. In later years, this method was stopped because of the damage to the babies mental development. My sister through no fault of her own has had to endure a very hard life with all the mean spirited people in this world. I found myself as my sisters defender in our youth. I just did it not knowing what was wrong with her and some of her strange habits.

Kathy has always been a loving person, Yes even as a sister she would accept me with my physical disabilities and not even think that I was not normal with two clubbed feet. She was always there for me when I came home from long stays in the hospital. She loved and loves me for who I am.

We have always had a good relationship no matter what outside forces attacked our brother sister bond. We have the same father, my younger sister is my REAL Fathers and Mothers child. I call him my real father because from day one he always treated me as his own. I was and neither was my sister Kathy ever referred to as a step child. We were always his kids, all three of us.

Kathy and I share the bond of our biological father, I only know the mans name and remember a little of my childhood with him. He was eager to get out of our life because we were not what the 50’s perceived as normal.

Well, hope this has setup the following feelings.

Kathy and I can talk about anything. When things got ruff before her electroshock therapy treatment, I was the ONLY one that could reason with her and get her back to reality. The treatment worked and we became good friends in the 90’s. After my father died, Kathy moved in with my Mom. It is a good match. They depend on each other as friends and a Mother Daughter relationship. Kathy has had many medical issues in her 60 years on this earth. Bad heart, skin conditions, spine and back problems. She rarely complained. People thought she was a complainer and would play up her pain. Now people know better.

Last Thursday, Kathy started to spit up blood and was short of breath. My Mom took her to the emergency room. After all the test and probing and poking she was diagnosed as have two blood clots. One in each lung (PE) and the most concerning, if anything can be more than the possibility of dying with your next breath, was a tumor larger than a foot ball in her stomach. After a lot of blood and filters in the main blood vessels she under went surgery today. I was going to fly down to Sacramento from Seattle to be with her. She would have nothing to do with that. You see, I have a massive blood clot in my right thigh (DVT). She said she would never forgive me if I flew down for her little problem and ended up in the hospital or dead.

My Daughter drove down from N. California where she is a National Park Ranger. She is helping my 80 year old mother and keeping me informed on what is going on.

Tonight, after the surgery the worst was found. Kathy has one of the most aggressive cancers of the body. In less the two months it formed, grew and was removed. My loving sister who never hurt anyone is now on borrowed time. The doctor has given her less than 1 year to live. She may be to sick to receive Chemotherapy. The doctors will not know if she has 1 month or 1 year until some test results come back.

I want to know WHY? Why do so many undeserving people live and a truly good person will have her time shortened due to cancer? I try to look at the good side of everything. This time I cannot. She deserves more. My Mother deserves better. She is going to lose her daughter and friend. No good reason. Kathy lives a life with kindness and is always looking for something that I might like. She buys me DVD’s so I can have a good life in my condition. I am always getting something from her just because. We talk on the phone often. We help each other with our feelings.

I, for once, do not have an answer or anything to help comfort her.
I am at a loss of words for her. Please pray for her if you would and give her some good thoughts. Please PM me if you have anything that will help me help her. I love my sister. I already miss her.

Thank You, CARL

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

Carl
with all due respect i would like to address this

first of all -please do not write her off yet!! the Universe is a strange and wonderous place - anything can happen.

my Grandma -years ago -was diagnosed with cancer (stomach or intenstines -i dont remeber which) the doctors could/would not operate as they said it was too widespread and she probably wouldnt survive the operation - they gave her 3-6 months to live - my Dad was devastated by this - BUT grandma lived 9 years past their guesswork w/o chemo as she wouldnt have any of it - she passed away as natural and happy as could be for an elderly person.

so i wouldnt take their verdict as set in stone brotha!!

the power of prayer & positive thinking is very very strong -also the power of the PERSON's (kathy) WILL TO LIVE is also a great factor in her time here

i would suggest -if you havent seen it yet -to watch a movie called "THE BUCKET LIST" -with Morgan Freeman & Jack Nicholas -it is very touching and very specific to life lived to the fullest

i hope things improve and will pray for your sister & your family!!

best of luck & God Bless

·
Registered
499 Posts
imported post

Thank YOU, I glad you pointed that out to me. I have always tried to do as you said, but this is a hard one.

Thank YOU. CARL

WATCHURSELF wrote:
Carl
with all due respect i would like to address this

first of all -please do not write her off yet!! the Universe is a strange and wonderous place - anything can happen.

my Grandma -years ago -was diagnosed with cancer (stomach or intenstines -i dont remeber which) the doctors could/would not operate as they said it was too widespread and she probably wouldnt survive the operation - they gave her 3-6 months to live - my Dad was devastated by this - BUT grandma lived 9 years past their guesswork w/o chemo as she wouldnt have any of it - she passed away as natural and happy as could be for an elderly person.

so i wouldnt take their verdict as set in stone brotha!!

the power of prayer & positive thinking is very very strong -also the power of the PERSON's (kathy) WILL TO LIVE is also a great factor in her time here

i would suggest -if you havent seen it yet -to watch a movie called "THE BUCKET LIST" -with Morgan Freeman & Jack Nicholas -it is very touching and very specific to life lived to the fullest

i hope things improve and will pray for your sister & your family!!

best of luck & God Bless

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
imported post

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Please try, as hard as it is, to stay positive. I truly believe that there is power in positive thinking.

·
Registered
499 Posts
imported post

Hi all, It has been awhile since my last blog. A lot of things have come and gone in my life but one story keeps nagging at me. I think the only way to go forward is tell the story/old joke and get everyone’s input.

Here we go.

Mrs. Jones and Mrs. Smith were sitting on the park bench like they do everyday. The always talk about the weather, kids, relatives and what ever was big news on the block.

Well this day Mrs. Jones announced that her son, Jonny Jones just opened another clinic on the east side of town. Mr. Smith complained that her son, Sammy Smith was not very lucky when it came to business and life.

Mrs. Smith continued to tell Mrs. Jones how lucky her Jonny was graduating from High School with all “A” and top of the class. Also how Jonny was so lucky to be first in his class in college. How lucky he was to get a scholarship to go to Medical School. How lucky Jonny was to be top of his class in Med School. Mr. Jones just shook her head up and down not saying a word. Well as Mrs. Smith went on how lucky Mrs. Jones Son was and is, Mrs. Jones just kept silent and nodded her head.

Well after hearing how Jonny was so lucky and Sammy could not get any good breaks in life Mrs. Jones finally spoke up and said. “You know, you are right, it’s funny, the harder Jonny worked the luckier he got”

Well, where do you fit in this picture of life. Are you one of the lucky ones or has life given you nothing but cherry pits?

I have stated in my other blogs that you get cherries when you plant the tree, water and feed it and keep it away from all those pesky bugs. You know, you reap what you sow!. Have you and your loved ones taken the time to sit down and make a life plan for the kids, and your retirement? Some people have some vision of the future they want, others just bump off the walls and hope they end up going forward.

Now that my condition and future are out of my direct control, I look back and wonder what it would have been if I had not been born with club feet and open vertebrae bone on the lower spine. How would life be different if I had been born within the last decade with all of medical sciences advancements. I get melancholy and think the unthinkable.

Then life smacks me in the head and tells me to get up and get going.
Do what I CAN and let others do what I can’t. If you start to feel sorry for yourself, your spouse and friends will find ways to avoid your downer. Be up, cheerful and when someone ask how you are doing, the only response they want to hear is “Great, just Great”. We know people are in pain, we know we can not do anything to help soften the experience. We know they feel pain, but we do not want to know the extent of the pain.

Next time you see a friend in pain, just smile and let them know you are there if needed. That is one of the best pain meds in life.

CARL

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Carl - a lot to think about there, both relating to you, and in everyone's own life.

I think even with all of the massive "front" I have put up over the years - for a very long time I have "bumped off the walls and hoped to continue moving forward". But in the past 3 years the reality of 2 kids and "something more then myself" to care about has really hit me hard. Sometimes it seems like it is all to much, and maybe I have gotten in over my head, regardless of the got-it-all-together persona I try to always portray.

But I do agree with you that regardless of how heavy life can get you have to plow forward and not let the weight of your life smother you.

Good post Carl. A real lot to think about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts