Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

We all have things that have shaped our lives, it can be anything.....words, events, drugs, people. What is the most significant thing that has shaped your life?

For me fundamentally it was my parents. Two nicer, honest people I will never know. They were not perfect, like all of us, but their heart and soul into raising and taking care of our family.

#2 - My high school history teacher. She made me believe that I was capable of anything.

I'll never forget the time that my friend and I went to his house to tell his parents that we were going to take our SAT's in a few weeks and his dad said, What?! SAT's?? You can't even spell SAT!! My friend never took them and joined the military right after high school.

CJ

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

interesting topic. I like it, but have to think a little bit before responding. Will repost again later and after some reflection, lol

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

Great topic CJ. Not sure if I can remember a single moment that has shaped my life, but my parents definitely influenced how I live as a whole.
My work ethic was developed on the job as I gained more experience in my trade. The turning point for me was at 31 years old, I left a plumbing/drain cleaning job to become a helper at a new construction plumbing company. I gained so much more knowledge there and that carried me to another company where I gained my experience in commercial work. I worked crazy hours there and worked my ass off. From this, I decided that by the time I hit 40, I wasn't going to be that old, tired, broken down dude that I have seen so many times at the parts house.
I made another move to my present company, after my former boss kept making promises he couldn't keep. Well, I got out of a service truck a little over 2 years ago and my current tools are a pen and a Blackberry.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Mine was the demolition of my Knee while playing football at USC. Not only was my life, dreams over but I never saw a team mate, a coach, a athletic director. This is the worst time of my life, and for 18 months I realized that I was alone and I could rely on nobody but myself too get out. So I spent the next 18 months doing Drugs, getting drunk and bedding women for sport. Man I loved those 18 months!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

Definitely a moment with my step father that I will never forget. I consider him my father as he has been there since I was 4. Various things that he has taught me and done for me over the course of my life has made me the person I am today. Too many things to discuss but I would consider him to have had the biggest impact on shaping my life.

Great topic CJ.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

the first time i watched jim skelton on shopnbc my entire life changed....

lol

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
imported post

As a teenager I used to hang out in Atlantic City on the weekends in the spring / summers. One night I got "tipsy" and got into a fight on the boardwalk. One of my father's friends saw this happen because it happened in front of him and alot of older folk. That Monday, I came home from work/school and when my father got home, he stormed in the door and without conversation he proceeded to knock the crap outta me. I never got outta hand again to this day. Learned that respect of others was extremely important and spent that entire rest of the summer working from 6 AM until 10 PM at night for him. No play time whatsoever. My work ethic and "respect for others" came from him & that experience. Long time ago. 1965, but still, when I think of it, I am ashamed of my behavior. So I'd say that had quite an impact on me. Wouldn't you?

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I see we're gong to have to provide you with a different "life shaping event".......:%:%:%

TVDinner wrote:
the first time i watched jim skelton on shopnbc my entire life changed....

lol

·
Registered
699 Posts
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
Mine was the demolition of my Knee while playing football at USC. Not only was my life, dreams over but I never saw a team mate, a coach, a athletic director. This is the worst time of my life, and for 18 months I realized that I was alone and I could rely on nobody but myself too get out. So I spent the next 18 months doing Drugs, getting drunk and bedding women for sport. Man I loved those 18 months!!!!
Wow, that story gave me goose bumps. Seems like life has treated you well since then?

·
Registered
699 Posts
imported post

Growing up in the 60's and early 70's. All that happened during those tumultuos years and everything I did. The people I hung with, the college I attended, the music, the freedom of expression, Kent State, Watergate, drugs, Woodstock. Some good, some bad, but it definitely made me who I am today.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

jb182 wrote:
RipitRon wrote:
Wow, that story gave me goose bumps. Seems like life has treated you well since then?
Here is what I learned, Nobody will help you, you have to help yourself.

I am very rough, very hard and very angry Individual. I have no problem admitting it. But to be honest I would not do my lifes path any other way. I am what I am because of what I have experienced, just as all of you are.

Arnie's Story is a reflection of what he is, and I truly believe that this man is one of the good guys in this F-ed up world. And he will be and I am sure is repaid daily.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

Great topic CJ especially at this time of year.

I would have to say that my father's example made me the man I am today. He died in my arms when I was 16 years old from a blod clot caused by a broken ankle. Even to this day I never make a decision without wondering what my dad would think. On a side note he loved high end Swiss watches, go figure.

His death changed my life drastically. I became the "Man" of the family at that moment. I had an older brother that was hooked on drugs and alcohol and has since passed away as of 3 years ago from an overdose. I have a sister and a younger brother that I helped take care of while my mom went back to work.

It was a powerful experience and one that re-shaped my life. It really makes me stop and remember how important it is to be an example to my ownchildren because who knows I could die tomorrow. Anyways thanks for listening.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Rob, thanks for sharing that very sobering life story with us. Some would wilt from such adversity; few, like you are made stronger. I am sure your children have benefited from your strength.

Sincerely,

CJ

Watchguru58 wrote:
Great topic CJ especially at this time of year.

I would have to say that my father's example made me the man I am today. He died in my arms when I was 16 years old from a blod clot caused by a broken ankle. Even to this day I never make a decision without wondering what my dad would think. On a side note he loved high end Swiss watches, go figure.

His death changed my life drastically. I became the "Man" of the family at that moment. I had an older brother that was hooked on drugs and alcohol and has since passed away as of 3 years ago from an overdose. I have a sister and a younger brother that I helped take care of while my mom went back to work.

It was a powerful experience and one that re-shaped my life. It really makes me stop and remember how important it is to be an example to my ownchildren because who knows I could die tomorrow. Anyways thanks for listening.

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
jb182 wrote:
RipitRon wrote:
Here is what I learned, Nobody will help you, you have to help yourself.

I am very rough, very hard and very angry Individual. I have no problem admitting it. But to be honest I would not do my lifes path any other way. I am what I am because of what I have experienced, just as all of you are.

Arnie's Story is a reflection of what he is, and I truly believe that this man is one of the good guys in this F-ed up world. And he will be and I am sure is repaid daily.
Dang Ron! You're gonna bring tears to my eyes! Fact is, Linda & I always try to treat people the way that we would like to be treated. It comes back in "aces"............. for the most part. The times that it doesn't? Well, it is what it is. One can't eat one's heart out over what they can't control. I for one have put so much behind me because I am older now and truly understand the meaning of "Life is short". I want to live in my world with "Peace & tranquility.... no volatility!" This is what I strive for. Doesn't always turn out like that, but I refuse to get bitter at this point. Just wanna be happy. The nice thing is that the forums like WatchFreeks/WatchGeeks lend me alot of ability to do that. I love watches and the people that I have met in these places. I think that it is one of the reasons that so many of us spend so much time here.

Case in point. I would refer to my Geek/Freek friends as my buddies to Linda. She privately thought, "yea right". Computer buddies........... abstract. When she went to the PA GGT with me and saw the wonderful interaction between all of us, she was taken back. Not only that, they are now her buddies as well!!

Huh? Where am I going with this?? DAMNIFIKNOW!!!! LOL!!! Thanks again Bro for the kind words and feelings. Means alot. You da man!!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

Well my story is kinda long and very negative...I had a terrible child hood..I count my blessings for having such a wonderful mother...The good thing about it...It made me the man I am today...So the saying what dont kill ya makes you stronger is true...Nothing was handed to me in life...I worked hard for what I have and my success. It also taught me how to be a great father in which I am truly blessed to have a very healthy and rambunctious 3 1/2 year old boy and a beautiful wonderful wife. I am just blessed for making it in life when I could have easily went the other way especially growing up in the street of Brooklyn, NY.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

These are great stories thanks to everybody for sharing. I think it is good to stop and reflect on what made us who we are today.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

WOW, these are some really great stories! There are a few thing that have shaped me that I remember. My parents, especially myDad, made me the man I am today. I had a GREAT childhood and would do it all over again if I could. My parents raised me right and now I have my own wonderful family.

The other thing that really changed me was the death of my in-laws. My wife and I have been together since high school and her parents the whole time treated me like family. I always had a short temper and would let the littlest of things get to me. When my wife's mom died, I realized that I need to be who I am not the person everyone else wanted me to be. I also started living life to the fullest. My mother-in=-law did all the right things in life and she still died at a young age. She didn't smoke. drink, was a food nazi, counted calories and exercised like a fiend and it didn't make a difference. I learned from this that moderation was the key and to live life fully and to have as much fun as I could!

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

The thing that really changed my life was the birth of my first child. it showed me how much I could care such a little life.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts