Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have been so excited about this watch from the moment I ordered it. Well it arrived yesterday and I was completely impressed with everything about the watch until I removed the plastic crystal protector this morning. I was completely saddened to see 3 fine scratches on the crystal just above the day/date window. I then noticed a big fingerprint on the inner crystal just over the 3 o'clock postion. To make matters worse I noticed bubbles on the inner crystal over the 12 o'clock position and a fine 3 mm scratch on the black dial near the 1-3 o'clock positions.There wasalso a scratch on the SS caseback.:WW:WW:WW:WW

I'm okay with some minor blemishes in a watch, but this is just too many QC oversights for me to be comfortable with. Well I've packaged it back up and will send it back tomorrow for a refund. I would love to exchange it for another one, but it appears they are all SOLD OUT at ShopNBC.

This was my first Stuhrling Original and I have to say that I'm a bit saddened that I have to return it. I know that SO has great CS and will take care of the situation, but it really stinks when you have to return one that you like so much. Everything else about the watch is great.

I'm wondering if Felix can pull some strings with Larryto make an exchange for another one, but if not I will just use the money to put towards something else. I'm very sad about this one. I have not lost faith in SO however it is kind of a bummer to get a defective looking watch on your first purchase. Oh well it's just a watch. I will keep everybody updated on the return/exchange process. :WW:WW:WW:WW

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear about what happened. Did you take any pics of these problems. I would love to see what you experienced.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
Sorry to hear about what happened. Did you take any pics of these problems. I would love to see what you experienced.
No I didn't take photos. I was going to wear it today so after my 24 hour trial period I removed the crystal protector and I was very upset with the poor QC with the crystal. I just put the plastic back on and packaged it back up. It was very visible from the naked eye and then when I got the loupe out it was worse then I thought. :WW

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

Bummer, I know you were so excited about this piece.

This really rained on your parade.

I'll bet SO CS will help you out.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Spaceview wrote:

I would love an exchange for another, but it will probably be easier just to get a refund. I'm hoping Felix will see this and pass along a message to Larry. I will probably call SO tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

Rob check to see if they are going to make more. I had a refund given to me on a shop cs mistake that was sold out and about a month later they had made more and I was able to get one. sorry about the problem hope it can be remedied.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

djpop wrote:
Rob check to see if they are going to make more. I had a refund given to me on a shop cs mistake that was sold out and about a month later they had made more and I was able to get one. sorry about the problem hope it can be remedied.
Thanks my friend. This one goes back directly to Stuhrling. It would be nice if they had some in stock to send out to me. I will call SO tomorrow and see if that is possible.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

Watchguru58 wrote:
Spaceview wrote:

I would love an exchange for another, but it will probably be easier just to get a refund. I'm hoping Felix will see this and pass along a message to Larry. I will probably call SO tomorrow.
I would call and talk to Esther.......I'll bet they can remedy the situation so you can keep the watch. It is such a beautiful watch, I would give SO a chance to get it all fixed and you can have your watch back in the condition it's supposed to be in.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Bichondaddy wrote:
Watchguru58 wrote:
Spaceview wrote:

I would call and talk to Esther.......I'll bet they can remedy the situation so you can keep the watch. It is such a beautiful watch, I would give SO a chance to get it all fixed and you can have your watch back in the condition it's supposed to be in.
Larry,

I will try that tomorrow. I'm not worried about it. I hope they have one that they can exchange it for. I just don't want to pay all the return shipping and everything else. I was pretty shocked to actually see 3 scratches on the crystal and then a fingerprint on the inner crystal. Hopefully they will make things right for me. I really love the design, but I'm too OCD to deal with scratches on a brand new watch along with other minor flaws. inside the crystal.

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

This is one thing that I don't get when you buy a brand new watch and it either arrives doa,used, or defects is the responses that go up immediatly.

1) call customer service, they'll make it right.

2) call customer service and they'll replace it.

3) send it in and have it repaired because those are sold out and you won't find another one at that price.

Who really gives a crap about customer service on a new watch? when I get one I'm hoping that I never need to use customer service.It doesn't matter how good they are.Your watch arrived damaged.Quality control is who should address this, not cs.Don't sugar coat a bad new watch.Just send it back and look for a different watch.

If a company can't make a quality watch that can survive shipping to your door and not have bubbles in the crystal,finger prints and scratches, then don''t buy from them.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

dedward wrote:
This is one thing that I don't get when you buy a brand new watch and it either arrives doa,used, or defects is the responses that go up immediatly.

3) send it in and have it repaired because those are sold out and you won't find another one at that price.

Who really gives a crap about customer service on a new watch? when I get one I'm hoping that I never need to use customer service.It doesn't matter how good they are.Your watch arrived damaged.Quality control is who should address this, not cs.Don't sugar coat a bad new watch.Just send it back and look for a different watch.

If a company can't make a quality watch that can survive shipping to your door and not have bubbles in the crystal,finger prints and scratches, then don''t buy from them.
I see your point as well dedward. I'm very frustrated right now about the whole thing. I will most likely just send it back for a refund b/c now I have this fear that a replacement will have problems as well. I was really looking forward to a positive experience with Stuhrling Original. Oh well it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm not a fan of the brand. Larry seems likeable enough, but if I want a Chinese watch, I'll buy a Chinese watch and if I want a German watch, I'll buy a German watch...

Part of my disappointment in so-called "TV watch brands" is when they pretend to be something they are not. Now perhaps I got caught up in the moment, but when I prchased my one and only Stuhrling, I was expecting a nice watch at a ridiculous price. What I got was a watch that was worth what I paid or perhaps less, at least in my view.

Maybe I should give them another chance, but I probably won't. It's cliche, but true: You only get one chance at a first impression.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

I don't have a dog in this fight. Never owned a SO. I understand both sides. dedward is correct, watches should be 100% upon delivery. But in reality nothing is 100% all the time. I expect high end watch owners can tell a tale or two about issues with their 5 figure watches after purchase. So the other side of this story, IMO, is the CS. How a company responds to a problem is very important and can save a sale or save a future customer. I know none of us wants to take that CS route, but somethimes there is no choice even if it is just for a refund.

·
Registered
71 Posts
imported post

After 2 Chinese movements from SO that were either painfully inaccurate or just plain defective I stopped buying the SO's that are mechanical. I do like their styling and their dials however so If I buy one its one of the Swiss quartz models with the Rondas. Never had a problem with one of those.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
imported post

Understanding the dissapointment that your feeling, I know it's not much, however..

I am truly sorry about your recent experience..

You mentioned the possibility of exchanging it for another?

If you're still in the same mindset, reach out to Stuhrling via email and/or phone.

449 20th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215
718.840.5760 - Office
718.437.8724 - Fax

For any issue that I've experienced, I've worked it through Fraidy Prero.

She's AWESOME!

·
Registered
699 Posts
imported post

dedward wrote:

Amen! Although I've never had a problem with SO.

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

On a new watch purchase thats arrived damaged or doa or somethings off with the watch then theres only 2 options.an exchange or a full refund.This does happen on higher end watches.I've had my share of duds.I ordered a new black seamaster from the ad.it had a bad crown and the date window didn't line up.Another was sent.Same issue.At this point I asked for the blue one.It arrived and was perfect.

So it does happen but I've never sent one out for service when its arrived with problems.you guys deal with the one time only offers and value pays.I understand that.Just don't think that this crap doesn't happen with limited edition pieces or that people who don't deal with shop can't sympathise with your issue.I ordered an oris nico rossburg and got the number I needed.it arrived beaten up from the ad.only option was to return it.The 2nd one arrived without any of the limited edition packaging. it also went back.The 3rd one was ordered from oris and it arrived new with everything.Thing was the edition number was way higher than I wanted.

not getting the watch you wanted isn't a big deal.There will always be another one.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

not getting the watch you wanted isn't a big deal.There will always be another one.
I think this is an important point and I agree. There is always the next great thing just around the corner. It is the best thing about collecting and what keeps it fresh and exciting.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

Well...I have 4 Stuhrlings right now...would have had 5 had my Nemo not been cancelled by the shop. Both my automatics are very accurate....I have a Winchester Grand Skeleton...and keep it in my winder all the time. I can put it in there and not wear it for a week and it will still be with a minute or so of my atomic watch Ithat set mine by. My Super Apcolypse XT seems to be the best of all my auto's..including my Swiss Automatic Pro Diver...and my Swiss Legend President. I also have an Invicta mechanical chronograph with the Sea Gull ST 1902 movement in it that is a fantastic chinese movement.

But if you don't like chinese auto's...it's up to you. I also like the Swiss Rhonda Startech movements that SO and Croton use in their chronographs way more than ETA G10's that Invicta and other companies use...I'm not a G10 fan at all!!!

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions. I will call Stuhrling tomorrow and see what they can do for me. They have already made a bad first impression, now I'm curious to see what they can do to make it right for me. I really do like this watch and would be happy with an exchange, BUT I do want it to be 100% next time. This will determine whether or not they keep me as a customer. I do understand that it is a Chinese watch and I knew that when I purchased it however even my past Chinese Made watches have arrived in better condition then this. Scratches on a crystal with protective plastic and a fingerprint on the inner crystal is just not right. This was a major oversight by QC and I expect them to take care of it or refund my money including my return shipping costs. I will keep everybody updated on what they have to say when I call them tomorrow. I will not accept anything less then a whole new unit. I will not send it in to be fixed. If they won't exchange it for another then I will know that a refund will be my only option.

The sad thing about this whole thing is that this was my first purchase from the Shop in 5 months and then this happens. Ugh!!! :madd

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.