Watch Freeks banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share this article here for those that care - sad and sickening indeed.

'I am tired of hating the full moon, the poacher's moon...' - Selene Brophy

Cape Town - While watching rhino play and go about their business in the latest viral video is fun and something most of us have done, it certainly cannot compare to seeing them out in the bushveld - in real life!
So we can only imagine the anguish of Nick Tredger, who posted the following letter and pics to the Rhino Anti-poaching group on Facebook.

According to Tredger, poachers shot his black rhino cow AND calf who was not even de-horned - but instead left for dead.
Tredger does not disclose his location or any other details about what he does, just a very raw account of the destruction caused by poaching. Tredger goes on to detail the daily struggle and worry of private rhino owners and the millions spent to rescue and preserve the species.
Reader the full letter...
"I am very tired and very, very angry - poachers shot our black rhino cow AND calf this weekend, they didn't even bother to take her tiny horn they just killed her.

I am tired of scanning the sky every day for vultures, tired of the mixed feelings when I see rhino spoor - thankful that one at least is still alive, desperate that the poachers could also follow the spoor.

'I am tired of hating the full moon, the poacher's moon'

"I am tired of hating the full moon, the poacher's moon, and tired of dreading the wonderful rain that everything is desperate for because the poachers' spoor is washed away and we can't find them.

"I am tired of watching our beautiful rhino being sliced up like grotesque cucumbers while we search for the bullets; tired of the smell of decomposition and death.
'Drive away and go and file it all and forget it'
"I am tired of the stream of police and forensics and Nature Conservation officials who come to take statements, take photos (take selfies!), collect the evidence that WE found, take casts of the poacher's spoor that WE found, and then drive away and go and file it all and forget it and we hear absolutely nothing until the next poached rhino when the whole charade repeats itself!

'Private rhino owners who are fighting private battles alone and un-funded'

"I am tired of trying to balance the budget, trying to find the R3 million a year we need for security to MAYBE give the rhino a chance.

"I'm angry that we were patrolling in the west when the poachers came in through the eastern fence.

"I am angry at the governments of South Africa and the rest of the world who fail to recognise or support the private rhino owners who are fighting private battles alone and un-funded.

"I am very angry, and very tired now!"

·
Super Moderator
9,364 Posts
It's unbelievably sad that this still goes on Reflex. You would swear this had
to be banned world wide so many years ago, but somehow it still is happening.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts