Watch Freeks banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, here's a question, what is the optimum price, or price range for a watch. I am not referring to best watches, nor am I referring to the best value either. Example, a watch costing £10 will more often than not represent far better value for money than most luxury watches, unless it's one of those rare luxury watches that rises in value. There must be a point somewhere on the financial scale where you can buy a fantastic watch with fantastic specification, and thereafter the increase in quality becomes negligible compared to additional cost. For arguments sake and simplicity I refer to high street or internet average prices. Many used watches can represent great value, but that will only confuse matters.

OK, I'll stick my neck out and say £350/£500 is the optimum price. For that amount you can buy a Hamilton, Tissot, Victorinox, or Steinhart watch. All of them Swiss made, all with excellent movements, all with well finished cases, and to varying degrees good straps/bracelets. There are some cheaper Chinese micro brands for a lot less money that get really close, and without question better watches that cost a fair bit more, but for the additional price how much better are they really.

So, what's the OPTIMUM price ????????????

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think you are looking for the "law of diminishing returns", where the price does not equal the benefit received.

This is a very subjective subject!

My Steinhart is great, I love it, but I am starting to notice some little "issues" after two years of almost constant weekend wear. It punches well above its weight for the +/- €500 I purchased it for. Most of my complaints are with the movement (it's loosened up a bit and when I mistakenly reverse it, the second hand acts strange, it did not do this when new) and that the metal bracelet is uncomfortable when "desk diving". That being said, it is a brand I recommend to anyone wanting a Swiss Made watch at an affordable price.

On the other hand, my Mühle Glashütte, at 3x the price, is a significantly better finished watch, and it just looks that much "nicer" on the wrist (subjective), the movement is better though.

Then there is my Speedy Triple Date from the 1990s, which is just a nice thing to look at (currently in Biel/Bienne to have a bracelet fit).

For me, the law of diminishing returns hits the perfect match in Omega. Example: the Constellation Globemaster is absolutely fantastic, better looking than a Rolex, and for a price that is fair (locally, it's around Fr. 8'500 from the AD with a SS bracelet, before negotiation).

For others, this may hit at Fr 1'500 for the Mido Sea Star 600. Also a properly good watch that looks fantastic.

·
Super Moderator
9,637 Posts
Yowza, this is some kind of question Mrs. Wiggles, and can bet there
must be so many answers it is not even funny. 😎🙂 My problem is
I actually don't have enough experience getting, or buying expensive
watches. 😊 Many of my watches are under $200, and a few are just
over $300. With there even being a few below $100 as well.

So I am not the best person to give a great answer. Although I do have
one watch, the Mondia Wave 500 that is around $500. This just might
be the perfect storm, or optimum price for me. It has terrific fit, and finish,
and then the ETA 2824 inside. Honestly, seems like a nice balance of
everything we enjoy about a watch, or watches.

Thanks so much for coming up with this topic MW !

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
My optimum price is what I can afford and are willing to spend. I'm not interested in resale value because I seldom sell a watch and the ones that I don't own any more I haven given away. On top of that my taste in watches is very narrow. To give an example: the Alsta I recently purchased ticks all the boxes, including the price. There's a Rado Captain Cook 're-issue' watch I like and that ticks all the boxes as well except the price. Now one could argue to NOT buy several of my optimum price watches and sweep the resulting cash together to buy that Rado but no. The same goes for several other watches that I like but are way out of my 'buying league' so to speak. This all may sound illogical but that's just me. Now if I finally win that State Lottery Grand Prize......... There's a new prize alongside the usual 27 million Euro one could win and that is 250,000 Euro nett per year for 30 years. Big Crown Sub here I come! :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes, I know it's a totally subjective topic, but that's what makes it interesting. I just put my brand new Steinhart Vintage Red in my watch box next to my Chris Ward C60-600 Trident. The price of the Chris Ward new is £850, £500 more than the Steinhart. They both have the same movement, they are both beautifully finished and made from 316L SS. They both have fantastic bracelets. OK, the Chris Ward has a ceramic insert, a better clasp, and has 300m more water resistance, but is it really worth £500 more than the Steinhart? The funny thing is that Chris Ward are famed for their great value for money. Now, sat next to the Steinhart is a Parnis 200m diver. It has a very accurate and reliable Miyota movement, AR sapphire crystal, a terrific case, a beautiful bezel with a ceramic insert, and a bracelet that compares with both the Steinhart and Chris Ward. The price, £79. makes you think, doesn't it ?

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I have a crazy conspiracy theory about the prices of Chinese made watches. The couple I own fall into the same category of being well equipped, finished and constructed for the money. They are subsidised and used to acquire foreign currency 😎

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a crazy conspiracy theory about the prices of Chinese made watches. The couple I own fall into the same category of being well equipped, finished and constructed for the money. They are subsidised and used to acquire foreign currency 😎
I have several Chinese watches. Many enthusiasts just love to condemn them, but I believe a watch is a sum of it's parts, just like other consumables. If heritage and brand is someones turn on, so be it, I just want something that is well made and well spec'd. I have watches made by Phoibos, Heimdallr, and Parnis, that absolutely knock spots off of any Swiss or Japanese watch for three times the price. Regards your comment though, the Chinese are a clever and powerful nation, and I won't say anything about COVID :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Please no discussion about that in this thread. Or it will become poisoned. Because of the little quiz I'm still running I removed the watches I own from my signature but I own three of Heimdallr. Their 'Captain Willard' is spot on, a beautiful watch and it costs less than the separate bracelet I bought for another watch. I have always wondered how they are able to pull that off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts