Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Wow... No love for Roger Moore or his Seiko's.:( Personal favorite. The Brosnan era and his blue Omega's. He was the epitome of class. And IMO, had the best of the Bond girls. Nice article. Thanks for the share. :nod:

·
Super Moderator
9,701 Posts
What an article DubyaDubya !!! Thank you ! :smileyface_hand_cla

It seems like you were really onto something with making the connection
here. ..Honestly, just always enjoyed James Bond movies, and thought
he was beyond cool. Also loved some of the watches often being these
ingenious multi-purpose gadgets. :coo2l: :) But can totally see now that
the whole connection between watches, and James bond goes a lot deeper.

I mean you have all of us who can't get enough of the hobby that can
appreciate the connection. But I think even non watch fans even take
notice of watches. Or at least the newest one he is wearing in the
latest movie. It's so interesting DD. Thanks so much for finding this
for us !

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Thanks for the article, I'm a Bond fan as well but ever since Eon Productions chose to equip Mr. Bond with a watch other than a Rolex I'm in a perpetual state of disappointment. Must have been a simple matter of sponsoring and thus money but as per the novels (the ones written by Ian Fleming), Bond wears a Rolex.

However, James Bond does not exist so the watch he wears is as fictional as his character. In the era Fleming wrote his Bond novels a Rolex must have been way more affordable compared to 2019, heck, I could buy a non-date Sub in Lebanon in 1979 for US$ 385. (That's US$ 1363 in today's money). Yes, still a lot of money but it pales in comparison to what Rolex SA charges for its watches right now.

My disappointment over the choice of watch is comparable to that when Martini changed its bottles. They have done this multiple times during their history but somehow I still can't get used to the flattened bottle they use now. Very silly, I know, but that's me :D

And while I'm at it: no female M., no female Bond (the thought alone) and not Idris Elba as Bond. In his novels Fleming describes who Bond is and who his parents were. Isn't anything sacred any more ? :D

Cheers guys, a Dry Martini please, stirred and not shaken :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And while I'm at it: no female M., no female Bond (the thought alone) and not Idris Elba as Bond. In his novels Fleming describes who Bond is and who his parents were. Isn't anything sacred any more ? :D

:D
I'm totally with you there Frans, I'm sick of the casual recasting of characters as women or people of color simply in the name of political correctness. I must admit, I did enjoy Dame Judi Dench as M, though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm totally with you there Frans, I'm sick of the casual recasting of characters as women or people of color simply in the name of political correctness. I must admit, I did enjoy Dame Judi Dench as M, though.
I couldn't agree more! I'm so sick of this over the top PC culture recasting all the very well known characters, It's not an interesting reimagining of the character as they like to call it and it just kills the whole movie for me when it's a character I've known my whole life! I mean come on, An Asian female Superman??? Oh how interesting, Not!

·
Registered
5,308 Posts

Reactions: DubyaDubyaSF

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Did I mention I am a Bond fan?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
The ultimate Bond, Omega vs Rolex youtube video. Now Omega just get rid of those hard to read "Skeleton Hands" and go back to the Sword hands and I might add you to the collection as well!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Reactions: Unbelievable

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Forzaferrarri:

Yeppers! Is there ever a hotter Bond Girl than Barbara Bach?
How did Moore talk Albert Broccoli into casting that hottie?

I don't think Bach was even Brit. But she got the Boobie
Prize, Ringo (aka Richard Starky) Bond series went to the
dawgs when Bond went from Omega to Rolex. God's fave
watch is the Speedie!!!

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
The PC thing can get a bit much at times. Next thing they'll be blaming Humpty Dumpty for killing unborn chickens :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
The PC thing can get a bit much at times. Next thing they'll be blaming Humpty Dumpty for killing unborn chickens :rolleyes:

I feel another grumpy old man's rant coming up. PC has been elevated to an art form in The Netherlands, I must be thankful that I'm still tolerated in my own country............

Reactions: Reflex

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Oh, I don't know, I have always been partial to Tanya Roberts, Talisa Soto or Eva Green was hotter than a firecracker! :smile-thumb2:

Too much eye makeup made her look slutty!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts