Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am sure it has happened to many of us and it happened to me today (see http://www.watchfreeks.com/view_post.php?post_id=19516 ). The "let down" when receiving a watch you had wanted BAD.
  • You had the watch on your "wish list".
  • You had done your research on the watch and read everything you could find about the brand, watch, history, etc.
  • You had looked at countless pictures on every site.
You WANTED the watch! You had to have the watch! And then you bought it / traded for it / was given it as a gift / or just found it on the street....

But when it arrived ...... THE LET DOWN. It was not everything you had built it up to be. For whatever reason you just knew it was not right for you. You can feel the initial excitement you had hoped for literally seep out of you through your gut.

Who has dealt with this type of disappointment and what did you do. Post your experiences...



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,976 Posts
imported post

years back i bought the Invicta reserve Speedway Automatic Chrono and was sooo excited.....3 of the same model later...all defects I wasnt so excited.....Got totally boned on it after getting so psyched to get it etc......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,976 Posts
imported post

Well I don't want to start an issue but I think a lot of people can feel the whole SAS sting. When I first received mine I was overwhelmed but after having it a few weeks and all the turmoil surrounding the watch it ended up not being what I expected at least imo. Fortunately I am so new to collecting that besides my issues with the SAS nothing else has really come along that just really bummed me out.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

UKWolfeman wrote:
Well I don't want to start an issue but I think a lot of people can feel the whole SAS sting. When I first received mine I was overwhelmed but after having it a few weeks and all the turmoil surrounding the watch it ended up not being what I expected at least imo. Fortunately I am so new to collecting that besides my issues with the SAS nothing else has really come along that just really bummed me out.
I am not talking about something that loses it's feeling for you over time. I am talking about something you wanted and RIGHT when it arrived you were let down. It was to small or you did not like the color in person, or it was JUST A LET DOWN somehow over what you had hoped/thought it would be.

You liked your SAS initially, so a little different....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,976 Posts
imported post

true. was the closest thing I could come up with as pretty much everthing else was great from beginning to end. so i guess then i don't really have a relevant response to this thread........yet unless trade letdownswould be considered and relevant?

TVDinner wrote:
UKWolfeman wrote:
Well I don't want to start an issue but I think a lot of people can feel the whole SAS sting. When I first received mine I was overwhelmed but after having it a few weeks and all the turmoil surrounding the watch it ended up not being what I expected at least imo. Fortunately I am so new to collecting that besides my issues with the SAS nothing else has really come along that just really bummed me out.
I am not talking about something that loses it's feeling for you over time. I am talking about something you wanted and RIGHT when it arrived you were let down. It was to small or you did not like the color in person, or it was JUST A LET DOWN somehow over what you had hoped/thought it would be.

You liked your SAS initially, so a little different....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,638 Posts
imported post

i was like that with my breitling Super Avenger, was it nice sure, was it worth the money no. I never felt that feeling that many here say they get when wearing it, it was smaller then i like, it was lighter then I like and it had no in your face factor. it was just a watch, that just never floated my boat!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

UKWolfeman wrote:
true. was the closest thing I could come up with as pretty much everthing else was great from beginning to end. so i guess then i don't really have a relevant response to this thread........yet unless trade letdownswould be considered and relevant
of course that would apply. if you traded for something and it was not all you hoped it would be then yes, it would be a let down...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

ericf4 wrote:
years back i bought the Invicta reserve Speedway Automatic Chrono and was sooo excited.....3 of the same model later...all defects I wasnt so excited.....Got totally boned on it after getting so psyched to get it etc......
that is a perfect example. you are so excited to receive a watch, and it is broken and you cant wear it right away, or ever in your case.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,976 Posts
imported post

Then I would have to say when I traded my SAS for a Limited Edition SAN III Auto limited to 500. I was really excited about getting the SAN III and the GMT was broke.The trade ended up working out OK in the endbut I really was geared up for the SAN III Limited Edition Auto. Most bummed I have been to date about receiving a watch.

TVDinner wrote:
UKWolfeman wrote:
true. was the closest thing I could come up with as pretty much everthing else was great from beginning to end. so i guess then i don't really have a relevant response to this thread........yet unless trade letdownswould be considered and relevant
of course that would apply. if you traded for something and it was not all you hoped it would be then yes, it would be a let down...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,128 Posts
imported post

I have received several Invictas that were dissapointing after seeing them in my hands. Other then that I have been pretty lucky.

On the opposite side of the spectrum I have received a watch that was more then I expected. The Accutron I got today is an example of that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,045 Posts
imported post

Yup..more than once.

This Seiko was exactly what I wanted but the size listed was with crown so it ended up being a little smaller than I like. It still gets wrist time as a "beater".


And this Pro Diver.......I was unsure of the new "wave" dial but thought it worth getting. After receiving it I looked at the dial and it looked liked plastic.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,615 Posts
imported post

i like that seiko -what size is it?? model # ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,363 Posts
imported post

To be honest, I think we all have had the same thing happen with at least one watch we have bought. I know I have! The most recent one for me was the Invicta Reserve Speedway. I have wanted one of those ever since they first came out. THen earlier this year one was for sale on another forum. I snagged it right away. When it showed up it wasn't as nice as I was expecting it to be. So, I did wear it some but it's now been sold for the Breitling hunt!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
768 Posts
imported post

Just the overall size being an issue, some being to small than what i had hoped for, thats the same thing my wife says also, LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,424 Posts
imported post

Yep....My Invicta Excursion GMT...at first I loved it but when I wore it a couple of times I realized it was not for me..So I sold it on the bay a few days ago for almost what I paid for it....:ban
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,363 Posts
imported post

Jackprime1 wrote:
Yep....My Invicta Excursion GMT...at first I loved it but when I wore it a couple of times I realized it was not for me..So I sold it on the bay a few days ago for almost what I paid for it....:b
You gotta be shi**ing me! You got almost what you paid for it? That is an incredible feat in my humble opinion! I 'm lucky if I get HALF of what they are going for! Good for you!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,638 Posts
imported post

sheraortho wrote:
Jackprime1 wrote:
Yep....My Invicta Excursion GMT...at first I loved it but when I wore it a couple of times I realized it was not for me..So I sold it on the bay a few days ago for almost what I paid for it....:b
You gotta be shi**ing me! You got almost what you paid for it? That is an incredible feat in my humble opinion! I 'm lucky if I get HALF of what they are going for! Good for you!
I have done it many,many times!!!

Sure if you buy wrong you will loose, but if bought right, the average loss for me is about 10% to 15%!

I never understood the whole I lost my A$$ deal, I have yet to loose my A$$.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
sheraortho wrote:
Jackprime1 wrote:
Yep....My Invicta Excursion GMT...at first I loved it but when I wore it a couple of times I realized it was not for me..So I sold it on the bay a few days ago for almost what I paid for it....:b
You gotta be shi**ing me! You got almost what you paid for it? That is an incredible feat in my humble opinion! I 'm lucky if I get HALF of what they are going for! Good for you!
I have done it many,many times!!!

Sure if you buy wrong you will loose, but if bought right, the average loss for me is about 10% to 15%!

I never understood the whole I lost my A$$ deal, I have yet to loose my A$$.
ME EITHER. Every watch (Invicta or other) I have sold I have made what I paid or very close, honestly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,795 Posts
imported post

For me, it would have to be the whole SAS ordeal!

I had to order 4 of these to get one that worked!

After experiencing 3 consecutive, broken flagship models, by the time I ordered #4 and #5 (both quartz versions), they lost their appeal. I preferred to have the auto version, but that wasn't happening. I sold one of the quartz SASs immediately.

I wore the other SAS for several months, but it totally lost it's appeal for me. No auto movement and a watch that was slowly becoming too big (as I started loosing what would become 70 pounds).

I believe that with the 7750 movement, I would have gone "above and beyond" to accommodate any dislikes that I had about the watch, but with a "lesser" movement . . . it just wasn't happening. So I sold the watch and bought an Oris TT1. :)


Now the SAS is going to hell with the "new designs". I'm glad I'm done with the watch!
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top