Watch Freeks banner

The Land Yacht thread (add pictures)

43K views 345 replies 21 participants last post by  AtomicTom 
#1 · (Edited)
1973 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron. Lenght: 235.3 inches, weight: 5256 lbs.

See less See more
#3 ·
And not exclusive to me, add at will :D

#6 ·
1969 Buick Electra

This is really a statement, I like it. Flying carpets on wheels. No holds barred. I would literally not be able to park one of these cars over here, not enough space in our marked parking spots.

#7 ·
1978 Lincoln Town Coupe. Lenght: 233 inches, weight: 4854 lbs.

#12 ·
1974 Oldsmobile 98 LS Coupe. Lenght: 232.4 inches, weight: 4872 lbs.

#15 ·
Wow, this is beyond cool guys ! :clap2: :cool2::happy0065: How about a 1971 Buick Riviera?! The backs on those are amazing !

It is and well-restored exemplars in the right colour (candy apple red with white leather interior) are worth a fortune.

#14 ·
1974 Ford LTD Brougham Coupe. Lenght: 222.5 inches, weight: 4365 lbs.

Reactions: Roarry and Reflex
#16 ·
My fascination with those enormous cars, aka land yachts, can be compared to the fascination I have for Seventies dive watches. When the Eighties arrived I started to dislike those watches. Cushion shaped cases? Mesh bracelets? Bah! But now, decades later, I love those designs.

The same goes for those cars. I come from a very small country that was hit hard by WWII and furthermore 'blessed' with a rather Calvinistic view on life where ostentatious opulence is frowned upon. And because The Netherlands was one of the countries that was struck by the oil boycott of 1973 (and we were singled out for an even more stringent boycott), cars that did 3 miles to the gallon were not very popular here. They weren't even imported.

And when you are used to going about in cars like the VW Beetle and Opel Kadett, those battleships were just out of this world. But in the land of plenty, they were a common sight.

And it is that 'everything is possible' and 'why not?' attitude of the carmakers from that era that produced that awesome automobiles. I'll try to post two-door coupes only because they represent the epitome of those land yachts. And no one seemed to be interested in any kind of fuel economy what so ever :D

#17 ·
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible. Lenght: 223.2 inches, weight: 4828 lbs.

Reactions: enricosonic
#19 · (Edited)
And this is one of my birth year ones. 1960 Dodge Polara Convertible. Length: 214 inches, weight 3950 lbs.

#22 ·
1967 Cadillac Eldorado. Haven't looked up its specs but I think it qualifies... like most of Cadillac's '50s, '60s and early '70s offerings. You definitely want to click on the bar for this one.

^^^^^
Lenght: 221 inches, weight: 4696 lbs.

Reactions: Roarry
#30 ·
1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible. Lenght: 225 inches, weight: 5065 lbs.

#31 ·
^^^^^
"Boatswain, lower the shorelines and lift the anchor!". "Aye, aye, Captain!". :D :D

#44 ·
:) Sorry Enrico, but how about your your hardtop here?!! ..So cool ! :coo2l:

You know what's so nice about seeing all of these guys?! ..Is at least for
myself, am actually learning about the cars with each amazing picture.

I mean, honestly know a lot of the names, or nameplates, but before this
thread could probably only identify, or point out a handful of models out
there, or here. So thanks very very much for the lesson guys !!!

#38 ·
Here is one of my own land yachts... 1979 Lincoln Mark Series

The real deal. How do these drive compared to a modern compact (European) sized car?

#37 ·
The most remarkable aspect to me is that despite the very, very enthusiastic dimensions of the car above the Lincoln (the Eldorado Biarrritz), the design doesn't allow for a four-door setup! There's not enough room for it.