Watch Freeks banner

61 - 80 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I.m.o., station wagons, limousines, Hummers. etc., do not count. The 'land yacht' as I see it, is (preferably) a two-door coupé or two-door convertible of huge length and weight. From WikiPedia: "A land yacht is an informal category of large automobiles. While full-size cars are manufactured worldwide to this day, the term is most often used in reference to cars built in North America between 1960 and 1976. Distinguished from both limousines and truck-based vehicles (vans and SUVs), land yachts are among the largest mass-produced cars ever manufactured”.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I.m.o., station wagons, limousines, Hummers. etc., do not count. The 'land yacht' as I see it, is (preferably) a two-door coupé or two-door convertible of huge length and weight. From WikiPedia: "A land yacht is an informal category of large automobiles. While full-size cars are manufactured worldwide to this day, the term is most often used in reference to cars built in North America between 1960 and 1976. Distinguished from both limousines and truck-based vehicles (vans and SUVs), land yachts are among the largest mass-produced cars ever manufactured”.
Would appear that there's more than one definition, even on Wikipedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A land yacht is an informal category of large automobiles.[1][2][3] While full-size cars are manufactured worldwide to this day, the term is most often used in reference to cars built in North America between 1960 and 1976.[4] Distinguished from both limousines and truck-based vehicles (vans and SUVs), land yachts are among the largest mass-produced cars ever manufactured.

Alongside full-size and luxury four-door sedans, the land yacht term was applicable to multiple body styles, including two-door notchback sedans, personal luxury coupes, convertibles, and station wagons.[5][6]

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I'll stick with the two-door category myself. Narrows it down a bit. E.g., a 'stretched' Hummer is not a land yacht.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Those cars are fun, aren't they? 1962 Cadillac Coupé. Length: 222 inches, weight: 4700 Lbs.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
It's after I started to convert the inches to centimetres and the pounds to kilos, the true dimensions of those cars started to sink in. Over two metric tons and over 5 meters for a two door car! I love it! 34 cents for a gallon of petrol back then.

·
Super Moderator
10,283 Posts
Would appear that there's more than one definition, even on Wikipedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A land yacht is an informal category of large automobiles.[1][2][3] While full-size cars are manufactured worldwide to this day, the term is most often used in reference to cars built in North America between 1960 and 1976.[4] Distinguished from both limousines and truck-based vehicles (vans and SUVs), land yachts are among the largest mass-produced cars ever manufactured.

Alongside full-size and luxury four-door sedans, the land yacht term was applicable to multiple body styles, including two-door notchback sedans, personal luxury coupes, convertibles, and station wagons.[5][6]

Thanks so much for the information above guys !! :smileyface_hand_cla:smileyface_hand_cla

Wow, it's extraordinary actually, and now I'm learning about this whole
other world. I mean I had heard the term land yachts before, but never
really knew much at all about them, or what was, or wasn't considered
one. ..Always am learning. :) Thanks once again !!!

To tell the truth, have always known about a lot of these cars, or name
plates. But never really could identify that many of them. Maybe because
I was born in 1971, and just didn't keep up with the model names at the
time. So it's really fun to be able to find out about so may of these now.
Honestly, just the styles, and variations of so many of the cars is out of
this world !

1969 Ford Galaxie 500XL...

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Well Tom, I must be the least qualified person in this thread to say anything meaningful about these cars because I have no hands on experience. I know I like 'em because of the reasons I mentioned before but in my country they're about as rare as a flying elephant. Expensive to import back in the day, an insatiable appetite for (expensive) fuel, high road-tax and just too big. No space whatsoever to park them. But with automatic transmissions named e.g. 'TorqueFlite', who cannot love them? :D

·
Super Moderator
10,283 Posts
Well Tom, I must be the least qualified person in this thread to say anything meaningful about these cars because I have no hands on experience. I know I like 'em because of the reasons I mentioned before but in my country they're about as rare as a flying elephant. Expensive to import back in the day, an insatiable appetite for (expensive) fuel, high road-tax and just too big. No space whatsoever to park them. But with automatic transmissions named e.g. 'TorqueFlite', who cannot love them? :D

Don't sell yourself short sir. :) It seems like you actually know quite a bit,
and it really doesn't matter if you have had one in the past. Because you
evidently just really appreciate, and enjoy them, and that's more than
enough to be honest. :clap2:

Like you said earlier, these types of cars are extremely similar to watches,
or in this case, some terrific, and often funky vintage ones. With most of
us not having many of those kinds of watches either, but still really enjoy
them nonetheless from afar, and love learning about them. So it's basically
the same thing with land yachts.

See, you ARE qualified ! ..A genuine aficionado !!! :smile1:

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Well Tom, I must be the least qualified person in this thread to say anything meaningful about these cars because I have no hands on experience.
Ditto.

There were a good few of these RHD cars brought into SA in their heyday and mostly always owned by wealthy Jewish folk. Still a few nice examples around

·
Super Moderator
10,283 Posts
Enrico, not sure have even seen those last two before, or at least
the versions !! :jaw: ..So many amazing models, and makes really.
Actually is breathtaking, or mind bending, and the pictures that
you guys find ! Holy cow ! ..Just are spectacular ! :smileyface_hand_cla

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Somewhat diminutive aside the biggest land yachts at 205 inches long (yet still roughly 10 inches longer than a current Range Rover) and a mere 4300 lbs, however it was quite well-appointed and made a visual statement.

The 1962 Ford Thunderbird:

61 - 80 of 233 Posts