Watch Freeks banner

21 - 40 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
And this is one of birth year ones. 1960 Dodge Polara Convertible. Length: 214 inches, weight 3950 lbs.

For whatever reason Dodge, well, Chrysler in general, just didn't have the presence (maybe just in my part of the country) of GM and Ford. I've never even seen one of those 1960 Polaras. Like, ever!

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
1967 Cadillac Eldorado. Haven't looked up its specs but I think it qualifies... like most of Cadillac's '50s, '60s and early '70s offerings. You definitely want to click on the bar for this one.

^^^^^
Lenght: 221 inches, weight: 4696 lbs.

Reactions: Roarry

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
For whatever reason Dodge, well, Chrysler in general, just didn't have the presence (maybe just in my part of the country) of GM and Ford. I've never even seen one of those 1960 Polaras. Like, ever!

Cadillac wannabe? :D Strange seam at the lower part of the door.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Pontiac Parisienne
Our neighbour had the exact same model. As young impressionable teenagers we'd pile into the car in large numbers and cruise around, stopping at a drive-in joint for a bite. Great times

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
1967 Cadillac Eldorado. Haven't looked up its specs but I think it qualifies... like most of Cadillac's '50s, '60s and early '70s offerings. You definitely want to click on the bar for this one.

A very elegant car!

·
Super Moderator
10,345 Posts
It is and well-restored exemplars in the right colour (candy apple red with white leather interior) are worth a fortune.

That incredible Frans, and honestly never would have known any of this
without your thread here. :smile-thumb: It's terrific hearing how you look
at these cars, and appreciate them sir. I know after a while, smaller import
cars, and the gas issues put an end to a lot of these land yachts. But now
40+ years later we have SUV's. ..Which could be looked at as the new
land yachts I guess. :bounce:

So much fun seeing all of these like this guys. ..Thanks so much !

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible. Lenght: 225 inches, weight: 5065 lbs.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
^^^^^
"Boatswain, lower the shorelines and lift the anchor!". "Aye, aye, Captain!". :D :D

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I think Cadillac, and specifically the various Eldorado incarnations, were the undisputed King of all Land Yachts.

It can be yours for US$115 K. ;)

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The most remarkable aspect to me is that despite the very, very enthusiastic dimensions of the car above the Lincoln (the Eldorado Biarrritz), the design doesn't allow for a four-door setup! There's not enough room for it.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Here is one of my own land yachts... 1979 Lincoln Mark Series

The real deal. How do these drive compared to a modern compact (European) sized car?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The most remarkable aspect to me is that despite the very, very enthusiastic dimensions of the car above the Lincoln (the Eldorado Biarrritz), the design doesn't allow for a four-door setup! There's not enough room for it.
Not surprising - with a boot (trunk) large enough to take the luggage for the Queen Mary, there's not enough room

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Not surprising - with a boot (trunk) large enough to take the luggage for the Queen Mary, there's not enough room

And yet the spare tyre is outside the car! :D :D

21 - 40 of 233 Posts