1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
14 Posts
As much as I love Heuer, I think the claim to first is pushing it a bit. One of the first perhaps. And the Autavia as the first Auto for the brand I think anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
631 Posts
This article says they beat Huer to market by a couple months. If you notice they say first automatic chronograph with micro rotor. I don't know if that's splitting hairs but my understanding was that Seiko was first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The data is accurate, here is another piece on the same subject.
https://monochrome-watches.com/the-first-automatic-chronograph-movement/

Sent from my Sinclair ZX81 using a dial up modem.

This article is indeed accurate. However, it is not the whole story and does not discount what I posted. Seiko released an automatic chronograph earlier in 1969 than this Carrera. Zenith showed their fully integrated working El Primero to the world before, but brought it to public consumption a few months later. It was also "fully integrated" whereas the Carrera was a standard three hand calibre with a module added. Carrera was also released in conjunction with the Monaco and the Autavia, not before. And of course, Brietling also released a model with the same piggyback module.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very interesting and thank you both, I wonder why both articles I posted chose to leave out Zenith and Seiko?
I can understand although not condone leaving Seiko out because of brand snobbery, but Zenith on the other hand is a well respected Swiss company that is steeped in history.
This has left me shaking my head, I do not like half truths.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This article says they beat Huer to market by a couple months. If you notice they say first automatic chronograph with micro rotor. I don't know if that's splitting hairs but my understanding was that Seiko was first.
Two fabulous articles, many thanks for chipping in with those.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
No, it's not splitting hairs. It's quite correct

·
Registered
631 Posts
My gut tells me that Col. Pogue was using a commercially available Seiko before he was issued an Omega. I can't imagine someone in that position using technology that appeared to be copied. It was my always my assumption given that it was being worked on by so many different companies in such a short period of time that either word of the project got out or Seiko released it in the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) not uncommon in other products in their culture. Then other companies took the idea and ran. Pure conjecture on my part. Just a wild ass guess. But it's an odd coincidence that so many companies would release a similar product within so close a period of time without someone getting the idea from someone else. Any older watch enthusiasts with a confirmation one way or the other?

·
Super Moderator
9,941 Posts
Whoa, thanks !!! Such a phenomenal article, or articles to be honest actually !! :happy0065:

Holy cow guys, is this hobby amazing?! Or what?!! :clapping-hands-abov:cool: :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very interesting and thank you both, I wonder why both articles I posted chose to leave out Zenith and Seiko?
I can understand although not condone leaving Seiko out because of brand snobbery, but Zenith on the other hand is a well respected Swiss company that is steeped in history.
This has left me shaking my head, I do not like half truths.

The entire history of horological development is half truths and marketing spin. You would be amazed what a little research and reading will uncover. Most claims to fame are built on the back of previously been there done that's. So in the end, buy the watch you like.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts