Watch Freeks banner

161 - 180 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
It’s time for a genuine grumpy old men’s rant again! Too much lovey dovey lately! I have mentioned the following gripes before in other posts but just as small remarks.

Here we go children:

The Sicura – Breitling ‘connection’. On sites like eBay, Sicura peddlers are all too keen to call their offerings ‘Sicura Breitling’, thus pumping up the asking price. Both brands have shared the same owner in the past as Breitling was a struggling brand and was more or less thrown a rope to survive. The watches however share absolutely nothing at all. Sicura was a low cost watch brand, in my country sold by tobacconists as an extra source of income. Hand wound movements made up of stamped parts and chrome plated cases but quite appealing and they had a wide range of models. But still, the sellers keep trying to connect the two brands together. Stop it, you won’t fool anyone!

The label ‘rare’ used on items that are not. I have made a special brace to hang one of my ‘rare’ Bolex 8 mm cameras from a plank in our bedroom. It’s ultra, ultra-rare because there’s only one in existence! And it’s worth squat! But on the same auction site mentioned above the term rare is very over used. A 300,000 issue model car (one of them ‘limited edition' Franklin Mint affairs) becomes ‘rare’. No people, a one-off Ferrari prototype is rare, not that silly toy that was churned out in the hundreds of thousands in China.

And yes, following ‘rare’ we now have ‘vintage’. Dutch auction site Marktplaats (currently owned by eBay) is littered with ‘vintage’ items. Old Dual record players that would have ended up in a landfill 10 years ago are now being advertised as a ‘rare, vintage’ objects. It’s become a plague, every piece of old [email protected] is ‘vintage’ now. All them hipsters are gullible ‘vintage’ victims.

And last but certainly not least. Meat eaters are becoming the tomorrow’s smokers. That’s what I’m reading in papers and magazines lately. I do enjoy my steaks, home made meatballs or lamb chops every now and then and I don’t want people telling me that this is a very bad choice and that my behaviour is that akin of Nazi Germany. Yes, I am aware of the alleged fact that animal protein production in the form of meat is not very efficient. And that this has reached an industrial scale with often little respect for animal welfare. That’s why we eat less meat but we buy this from a butchers’ that has a contract with a small, local animal farmer (which you can visit) that treats his animals well. Like it was 100 years ago. This is an ethical discussion, I know. But I like a fine steak and a ham sandwich every now and then. I am not a Nazi!

Reactions: Reflex

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Aw, the whole anti-meat crowd can be very hypocritical and frankly I no longer care what anyone says about eating meat. Farming salmon and other fish is a pretty crappy way to abuse a species too but that doesn't seem to raise the same sort of ire as the anti-beef crowd. By the way, what animal is treated worse than the chicken? Ever see a semi truck hauling chickens down the highway, stuffed into their little cages like giant styrofoam peanuts packed into a box?

As I get older I eat far less red meat and more fish and veggies, I choose wild fish and organic proteins, but I'm selfish and it is primarily based on what I feel is best for me nutritionally.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Fair rant. The Sicura Breitling thing and the abuse of the adjectives "rare" and "vintage" are little more than (feeble) attempts to pad a sale listing imo.

In SA the consumption of red meat is very high, as evidenced by the high incidence of heart disease. We've cut it down to around 1 serving per week.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Fair rant. The Sicura Breitling thing and the abuse of the adjectives "rare" and "vintage" are little more than (feeble) attempts to pad a sale listing imo.

In SA the consumption of red meat is very high, as evidenced by the high incidence of heart disease. We've cut it down to around 1 serving per week.
Carbs, not meat are your worst enemy for heart disease. That’s the direction most experts are going now.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Carbs, not meat are your worst enemy for heart disease. That’s the direction most experts are going now.

To be honest, I'm completely lost. In a recently published scientific report, drinking a glass of fruit juice (even freshly squeezed) per day increases the risk on some types of cancer with 18% due to the presence of sugar. What? I don't know how they isolated this because there are dozens of factors to take into consideration. Where you live, do you exercise, what is you diet, are there hereditary factors, etc., etc. Like I said, I'm lost. One day drinking a glass of red wine a day is good for your heart, the other day I see a talking head in a TV show proclaiming every intake of alcohol, even the most minute, can be catastrophic for ones health. What to do?

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Soccer, instead of football. The biggest sport on earth by far. Soccer sounds extremely demeaning to non American ears. Yes, I’ve done my homework and read all the explanations. Association Football became soccer and the term football was only used from the middle of the 20th century. As some researchers found in dusty records. Bollocks! Running around with an pigskin under your arm isn’t FOOtball.
Just caught this post

No, running around with a pigskin under your arm technically isn't football, its called a "Man's" sport, and the only thing remotely akin to SOCCER that is palatable to American tastes is Rugby or LaCrosse. Any sport that doesn't allow you to use your hands in America is a loser!

Hell even the American "World Cup" women's team win was a snooze-ville event over here. Kind of hard to be so proud of Pusshead women who disrespect their own countries flag and then again, these same 'World Cup Winners" who were beaten 5-2 by a Texas (under 15 years old) Boy's High School Soccer team in 2017!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Paleo or Keto diet is the way to go.

Substitute cauliflower rice or mashed for potatoes and Shiraki noodles for pasta, you can pig out with these substitutes and not carb up.

Drink lots of wine is good too, beer isn't too great for you either, especially American light beer which is like drinking Buzzard urine.

Pork, Chicken, Fish, Lamb, Beef, these are my mainstay protein choices, in that order.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The answer to eating what you want when you want is to get your fat lazy ass off the couch and excercise to stay healthy. Too many people today want that "magic pill", or worse the government, to tell them what to eat in order for them to feel better.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Time for another rant. Special packaging, limited editions and the use of 'exotic' materials to beef up the price like cases made out of submarine skin (unable to verify this).

Panerai uses pear wood for its cases and Omega milks every last drop from its Speedmaster line up. The watch that I have on order is promoted by a movie showing a guy on a motorcycle, misty distant views and other [email protected] I absolutely don't care for any of those things! It won't make any difference in my decision making. In the same category fall watches that pay tribute to certain aeroplanes like jet fighters. Really? Just a cheap way to use a well known name to your own benefit.

But there's another side to this coin of course. Who will buy a Patek if it comes in a cheap cardboard box? One expects more to come with a 50K plus watch. Time for a Woodford Reserve Double Oaked to calm my nerves :D

Reactions: Roarry and Reflex

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Just caught this post

No, running around with a pigskin under your arm technically isn't football, its called a "Man's" sport, and the only thing remotely akin to SOCCER that is palatable to American tastes is Rugby or LaCrosse. Any sport that doesn't allow you to use your hands in America is a loser!

Hell even the American "World Cup" women's team win was a snooze-ville event over here. Kind of hard to be so proud of Pusshead women who disrespect their own countries flag and then again, these same 'World Cup Winners" who were beaten 5-2 by a Texas (under 15 years old) Boy's High School Soccer team in 2017!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

And I just caught this. Rugby Union is the only man's sport in that category. The players don't wear all that protection needed by them pussies that play grid iron. Speed cycling is another sport that doesn't require to use of ones hands. But them guys just keep on going with broken collarbones, broken hands and skin shred to pieces. Unlike our prima donna football (soccer) players that act out a scene from 'The Dying Swan' at the mere touch. But still rake up salaries at the tune of 300K..... per week! :mad:

Reactions: Reflex

·
Registered
10 Posts
keep em coming.... I like seeing how all over the world we have the same issues... but I agree with Cell phone usage while driving too. While against the law it still happens.

My biggest beef in life is the people who always are only concerned with themselves. Whether it be in traffic, at the grocery store, where ever. It's like they are in a capsul of their own and no matter what they could care less what is going on around them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I guess Caveat Emptor applies to buying used watches like it does for used cars (excuse me, 'previously owned'). :)

·
Super Moderator
9,875 Posts
Yeah guys, and how about this?

All the banning of different things recently ! :jaw:

It was one of the things I never liked about watch forums years
ago, and now it seems to happen all of the time in real life.

Honestly every day it's something else that seems to be in focus,
and on the chopping block. From playing a game like tag, or even
throwing snow balls. To all kinds of products, and things you couldn't
even imagine. Even Halloween costumes, and Halloween itself is
in danger, along with a countless other things.

Yowza, honestly could be this, or that, but it most likely is on the
radar of someone out there for some reason.

Seriously, look out chocolate milk ! :squint: :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Anyone who gets overly offended by a word. In others words, the "politically correct overly sensitive I need to be in my safe space" type.

Pull up your panties and get over yourself.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Don’t start me on that political correctness that has taken on almost frightening dimensions, together with those tender souls who have turned being ‘offended’ into an art form. I hope it’s a fad and will blow over. A group of ‘very concerned’ Dutch parents have started a petition in their neighbourhood to have Halloween costumes banned because they refer too much to ‘evil, death and the devil’. O M G. I bet the fathers among that group are braiding each other’s hair :D

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
1. Transgender Males winning and setting records in women's sporting events.

2. Politically correct TV commercials trying to subconsciously force their agenda on you ie: the family now must be made up of mixed race and same-sex members. Husbands Asian, the wife is White and the kid is Black... Huh???

3. Scam calls from people with Indian accents telling me I have a virus on my computer!

161 - 180 of 188 Posts