Watch Freeks banner

141 - 160 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I hear you loud and clear on that one, exactly the same here in the UK, I use my dash cam every time I drive.
The lost art of turn signal use.

This one is really starting to annoy me lately because it's also dangerous. More and more motorists find it way too much trouble to use turn signals although it is mandatory. This, combined with a yank on the steering wheel to change lanes, is becoming epidemic. Driving behind them has become a form of Russian roulette. Especially in urban areas. Someone is nearing a corner, does not use a turn signal but instead hits the brakes and suddenly turns right (or worse, left). WTF? And not a patrol car in sight of course :mad:
Sent from my Sinclair ZX81 using a dial up modem.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Yeah this is a classic. There's an intersection just down the road, two lanes each way. What I hate are the "secret left-hand turners" you inevitably pull up behind. Only after the light turns green do they flick on their indicator (if at all) and you must then try and get around them or wait out a another light cycle as the oncoming traffic is relentless.

Of course you become jaded after awhile, almost expecting this behavior and thus getting in the right lane. The only trouble is at the next light where you plan to turn left, if they end up heading straight too, you then have to fight your way back in to do so.

Or a variation on this, people who want to change lanes but signal first and use their mirror second (or not al all). Only to find out they cannot because there's car in the way and then decide to sway back. Without, you guessed it, checking their mirror. How these clowns ever passed their exam remains an enigma forever.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
And once passed, they can drive like jackasses until their twilight years.

I will stop now on this subject, bad for my blood pressure :D But before I stop, I will check my rear view mirror first of course :D Another lost art.....

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Not to worry, self-driving cars will surely solve these petty problems. :D

I really don't know if I would like that. But I guess in 25 years or so you need a special permit to drive your car manually. If it reduces 90% of the accidents I'm all for it. But it could also mean you are no longer allowed to privately own a car. You have to share, like them confounded bicycles :D

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I really don't know if I would like that. But I guess in 25 years or so you need a special permit to drive your car manually. If it reduces 90% of the accidents I'm all for it. But it could also mean you are no longer allowed to privately own a car. You have to share, like them confounded bicycles :D
Yes. Just being a sarcastic really, they're off to a very poor start with some catastrophic results. But.. who knows what the future holds. :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Yes. Just being a sarcastic really, they're off to a very poor start with some catastrophic results. But.. who knows what the future holds. :eek:hwell:

Boy, that completely escaped me because autonomous driving vehicles are still not allowed here. Tests are in progress and cars nowadays are loaded with driving aids but the Tesla 'self driving firmware upgrade' is not allowed here. There are autonomous shuttles that bring people from A to B but they drive on a closed road. At 40 Km per hours tops.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
True. Been reading about these and no doubt there is a lot of work required to get them right.

David, you should be okay for a while yet

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Dutch Street-language. I'm from Rotterdam so I'm 'gifted' with a very thick accent. Unmistakable and I will never be able to shake that off. Besides that, I use the slur that older Rotterdammers have, making it even more unmistakable. If I hear a recording of my own voice I just cannot believe that this is the way I speak. But I'm not ashamed of it and as I live and work in Rotterdam it's never a problem. When I was in the Army some of my mates were from deep, deep in the province (Drenthe for example) and they don't just have an accent, they speak a different language (based on Lower Saxon) and if they do they are very hard to follow, if not at all. They teased me with my accent but my reply always was: wherever I go people know what I say, you guys need an interpretor :D

But my Dutch is grammatically correct and I can write well. I'm often asked to review papers written by others.

Now the subject of my rant. Street-language. If I hear young people speak nowadays it seems they are from another continent. Because there are about five major population groups in Rotterdam, a new 'language' has emerged. It's a mix of Dutch, Surinamese, Turkish, Arabic and Papiamento (which in itself contains Portuguese and other languages). All this spiked with incorrect used English words.

Now either I have become an old fart or I just don't get it. It's just awful. And the way it is pronounced makes be believe I'm listening to a mute person (no insult intended).

Schools are seemingly not able to curb this and self proclaimed 'experts' tell me that any language will change during the course of time. I call BS. Yes, the Dutch language HAS changed, one only has to listen to news reels from the Twenties. Very, very formal language use and pronounced in a way we don't do any more nowadays. Afrikaans is based on 17th century Dutch and evolved into a separate language (which I can understand).

But this 'new' language spoken by youths and older people who want to appear 'with it' doesn't make me happy at all.

One example: the Dutch word for shoes is schoenen. In street-language this becomes 'patta's'. Which is derived from Surinamese but has it's origins in Portuguese. Sapatos. In Indonesian this is sepatu because the Portuguese had some influence in the early 16th century.

As you can see, the origins of this has my interest because I love language. But the way this is going makes me sad.

·
Registered
239 Posts
In South Africa you would often hear a blending of English and Afrikaans. For example:
Mary had a little lamb, its fleece was white as snow.
A ram het dardie lamb gevang, and kyk hoe lyk hy nou.

The Afrikaans rhymes and the translation is:
A ram caught that lamb and look what it looks like now.

Excuse my Afrikaans, I have been away fifty seven years.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Speaking about speaking, I also note the deterioration from the old news reels clarity. I can barely understand younger people now. For a start, they speak three times as fast.
They get their phrasing wrong, and don't pause between sense groups, so you havs sentences running into one another, and a pause in the middle of a sentence. This is all capped off by a lazy inarticulate tongue and nasal projection. The women sound like squeaky toys your dog has.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Because of exceptional fine weather today, 25 degrees Centigrade, we went out to have some drinks nearby. A 10 minute walk with me behind Anne’s wheelchair. The place is called Bokaal (Challis in English), a very apt name. I usually start with a Newcastle Brown Ale, Anne with ginger beer. The terrace was packed with couples and groups. But that’s not the point of this upcoming rant :D

Not to my amazement I must sadly admit, about half of the people present were constantly gazing at their smartphones :mad: Instead of having a conversation or just making some jokes even couples chose to gaze at them damn things all the time.

Is it because I’m an old fart or is it something that I don’t understand? Life has become too busy as it has, why don’t enjoy each other’s company instead of being busy with whatever you can by busy on your smartphone? Please explain.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Because of exceptional fine weather today, 25 degrees Centigrade, we went out to have some drinks nearby. A 10 minute walk with me behind Anne’s wheelchair. The place is called Bokaal (Challis in English), a very apt name. I usually start with a Newcastle Brown Ale, Anne with ginger beer. The terrace was packed with couples and groups. But that’s not the point of this upcoming rant :D

Not to my amazement I must sadly admit, about half of the people present were constantly gazing at their smartphones :mad: Instead of having a conversation or just making some jokes even couples chose to gaze at them damn things all the time.

Is it because I’m an old fart or is it something that I don’t understand? Life has become too busy as it has, why don’t enjoy each other’s company instead of being busy with whatever you can by busy on your smartphone? Please explain.
Hard to explain but would appear that we're fast losing the art of personal conversation. Many people now prefer conversing via their phones - horrible.

One sees families in a restaurant where there is virtually no conversation between them because they're all busy on their phones. Quite sad really

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Not always maybe, but usually it's directly related to one's age isn't it? The younger they are the more addicted to constant contact and status updates. My youngest brother does this. We meet maybe once a month for lunch somewhere, and he's got his phone out on the table and is totally under its power.

I've laid into him about it, I mean it's all he can do to resist checking the thing. "Really, what the hell are you missing out on", I ask. "Nothing in particular, but that's just it, I'm missing out on something!" I try to tell him of the days of yore, when not only was my phone corded and never left the house, but a time even before that when god forbid we had no voicemail or answering machines. But then I feel a bit like my parents and let it be. Until our next lunch. :)

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
There’s even talks about smartphone addiction now. The constant need to get acknowledgement over one’s Facebook or other social media presence. - I receive ‘likes’, therefore I am -. I really don’t give a hoot about that and I don’t do social media. In my youth only the well to do or ‘important’ had a telephone, it only became mainstream in the early Seventies. My parents in 1973, the biggest event that year. We weren’t allowed to use it.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It's also increasingly rare for me to have phone conversations at all. Texting has replaced verbal communication unless I'm talking with my parents or a close friend or two.

Most friends and co-workers won't answer their phones at all, but try texting them and they get right back to you, via text of course.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
It's also increasingly rare for me to have phone conversations at all. Texting has replaced verbal communication unless I'm talking with my parents or a close friend or two.

Most friends and co-workers won't answer their phones at all, but try texting them and they get right back to you, via text of course.
Phone answering anxiety this is called, this was even a topic in our local news. When called, those WhatsAppers don’t know what to do and completely shut down. That’s progress for you :D

141 - 160 of 188 Posts