Watch Freeks banner

181 - 188 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Time for another rant. Special packaging, limited editions and the use of 'exotic' materials to beef up the price like cases made out of submarine skin (unable to verify this).

Panerai uses pear wood for its cases and Omega milks every last drop from its Speedmaster line up. The watch that I have on order is promoted by a movie showing a guy on a motorcycle, misty distant views and other [email protected] I absolutely don't care for any of those things! It won't make any difference in my decision making. In the same category fall watches that pay tribute to certain aeroplanes like jet fighters. Really? Just a cheap way to use a well known name to your own benefit.

But there's another side to this coin of course. Who will buy a Patek if it comes in a cheap cardboard box? One expects more to come with a 50K plus watch. Time for a Woodford Reserve Double Oaked to calm my nerves :D
Ever heard of the legendary "Pappy Van Winkle" American whiskey?

Small batch produced, and long waiting lists to get a bottle of it, cheapest you can purchase it at is about $600 a bottle and the 23-year-old goes for $3,500.

I happened to be in a bar that specialized in boutique whiskey and they had Pappy in stock, so just to say I tried it I paid $40 for a shot.

It wasn't bad, but for $40 a shot, I will never drink it again. I had in the past been able to purchase a case of "Bottled in Bond" pint bottles of pre-second world war (1939) Old Fitzgerald.

The finest bourbon I have ever tasted. I gave a couple of bottles of it to my Grandfather who at one time was a liquor salesman and sold the first bottle of Jim Beam in Chicago. I gave him a blind taste test of the Old Fitz compared to his standard Early Times which he drank regularly.

His eyes lit up upon the first sip of the Old Fitz and he immediately said, "this is pre-war whiskey, real whiskey"!

Unfortunately, I went through the entire case I short order, and the closest I have come to matching the flavor is Booker's, which is one of the Jim Beam distillery's higher line products.

Problem with Bookers is, it's 128 proof and will knock you on your ass!

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Ever heard of the legendary "Pappy Van Winkle" American whiskey?

Small batch produced, and long waiting lists to get a bottle of it, cheapest you can purchase it at is about $600 a bottle and the 23-year-old goes for $3,500.

I happened to be in a bar that specialized in boutique whiskey and they had Pappy in stock, so just to say I tried it I paid $40 for a shot.

It wasn't bad, but for $40 a shot, I will never drink it again. I had in the past been able to purchase a case of "Bottled in Bond" pint bottles of pre-second world war (1939) Old Fitzgerald.

The finest bourbon I have ever tasted. I gave a couple of bottles of it to my Grandfather who at one time was a liquor salesman and sold the first bottle of Jim Beam in Chicago. I gave him a blind taste test of the Old Fitz compared to his standard Early Times which he drank regularly.

His eyes lit up upon the first sip of the Old Fitz and he immediately said, "this is pre-war whiskey, real whiskey"!

Unfortunately, I went through the entire case I short order, and the closest I have come to matching the flavor is Booker's, which is one of the Jim Beam distillery's higher line products.

Problem with Bookers is, it's 128 proof and will knock you on your ass!

Thanks for the elaborate reply and I do know Pappy. (By Name). I just searched for it at a Dutch on-line liquor store, the 15 year old is 1495 Euro, the 20 year old 1750 Euro and the 23 year old not available.

Now I do like my Bourbon because there's a lot to like and I find it more accessible compared to some of the more peat heavy single Malts. But I also must admit that I'm not a connoisseur. I watch some Bourbon and Whisky channels on YouTube and the descriptions some of those guys give are completely beyond me (just like the wine brigade). "I taste barley sugar, roasted plumbs and wait... unicorn tear infused vanilla pods!". :D

Just joking, I'm just a peasant. So those ultra high end wines, Bourbons and Single Malts are a bit wasted on me. And this is not false modesty or anything. I know how to spot cork in wine and sometimes a drink from a bottle that has been opened too long ago but that's about it.

One of my favourites is the considered entry level Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Rye Whiskey also goes down very well with me :D Cheers mate!

P.S. Van Winkle sound like the Anglicised version of the Dutch "Van Winkel". (Winkel = shop).

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
The following rant is my personal opinion and not intended to insult. Consider it satire.

In a couple of months I will turn 60. An age that is considered by many as over 'middle aged'. Yes, I'm becoming an old geezer :D And with such a ripe old age comes wisdom and the ability to judge ones station in life. And that's what the foundation of this rant is built upon.

Some men of my age seem to lack that judgement. And that lack of judgement materialises in a ponytail. And not a ponytail constructed from a lush, full head of shiny hair but a ponytail constructed from the yellowish grey remnants of hair still present on the back of the head. Hippies escaped from a Seventies colony on Ibiza and Karl Lagerfeld (although the latter is becoming very questionable as well) can get away with this but pot bellied, ageing 60-year olds cannot! What the hell are you thinking?! Every time I see such a guy sporting a ponytail I want to cut it off on the spot. Pathetic!

·
Registered
775 Posts
I wish I had enough hair for a ponytail or just a comb over! I’m a few years behind you sir, and I am on the fast track to being cue ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Thanks for the elaborate reply and I do know Pappy. (By Name). I just searched for it at a Dutch on-line liquor store, the 15 year old is 1495 Euro, the 20 year old 1750 Euro and the 23 year old not available.

Now I do like my Bourbon because there's a lot to like and I find it more accessible compared to some of the more peat heavy single Malts. But I also must admit that I'm not a connoisseur. I watch some Bourbon and Whisky channels on YouTube and the descriptions some of those guys give are completely beyond me (just like the wine brigade). "I taste barley sugar, roasted plumbs and wait... unicorn tear infused vanilla pods!". :D

Just joking, I'm just a peasant. So those ultra high end wines, Bourbons and Single Malts are a bit wasted on me. And this is not false modesty or anything. I know how to spot cork in wine and sometimes a drink from a bottle that has been opened too long ago but that's about it.

One of my favourites is the considered entry level Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Rye Whiskey also goes down very well with me :D Cheers mate!

P.S. Van Winkle sound like the Anglicised version of the Dutch "Van Winkel". (Winkel = shop).

I think it's a take of on "Rip Van Winkle". Anyways if you are into whiskey there is another that is very unique, made solely from toasted barley, it's "Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey" it's a keeper as well!

·
Registered
4,593 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
The following rant is my personal opinion and not intended to insult. Consider it satire.

In a couple of months I will turn 60. An age that is considered by many as over 'middle aged'. Yes, I'm becoming an old geezer :D And with such a ripe old age comes wisdom and the ability to judge ones station in life. And that's what the foundation of this rant is built upon.

Some men of my age seem to lack that judgement. And that lack of judgement materialises in a ponytail. And not a ponytail constructed from a lush, full head of shiny hair but a ponytail constructed from the yellowish grey remnants of hair still present on the back of the head. Hippies escaped from a Seventies colony on Ibiza and Karl Lagerfeld (although the latter is becoming very questionable as well) can get away with this but pot bellied, ageing 60-year olds cannot! What the hell are you thinking?! Every time I see such a guy sporting a ponytail I want to cut it off on the spot. Pathetic!
Earrings on old gropers like me (soon to be 74) look absurd as well, if I want to look rebellious in my golden years I will wear a Muscle "T" shirt and show off my faded "Harley Davidson" tattoo!

181 - 188 of 188 Posts