Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

With the Pro Bowl game today, I was thinking, who is the greatest in football. It could be the greatest player, greatest defense, greatest coaches, greatest linebackereven the greatest cheerleaders. Anything you percieve as great in the game! Everybody will have different opinions.

A short funny story, When I took Theresa to her first Beargame, Walter"Sweetness" Payton had about a 60 yard run from scrimage. Soldier Field erupts, the fans are slapping, clapping andcheering.As I sit back down, theresa grabs my arm and asks me, "why were they chasing that man"? A true story!

In my humble opinion the greatest player of all times Walter Payton.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Jerry Rice

Joe Montana

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

Brown

RB Jim Brown -- Cleveland Browns, 1957-1965

Forty years after his shocking retirement at the peak of his career, and now only seventh on the all-time rushing list, Brown still ranks as the standard against which all other running backs are measured. In only nine seasons, and playing largely with a 12-game schedule, he rushed for 12,312 yards. His 5.2-yard average remains the best among the game's top 20 all-time rushers. An awesome combination of brute force inside the tackles, absolutely punished tacklers, but still could outrun defenders in the secondary.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Spaceview wrote:

Brown

RB Jim Brown -- Cleveland Browns, 1957-1965

Forty years after his shocking retirement at the peak of his career, and now only seventh on the all-time rushing list, Brown still ranks as the standard against which all other running backs are measured. In only nine seasons, and playing largely with a 12-game schedule, he rushed for 12,312 yards. His 5.2-yard average remains the best among the game's top 20 all-time rushers. An awesome combination of brute force inside the tackles, absolutely punished tacklers, but still could outrun defenders in the secondary.

Definetely, the man to measure when you talk about great running backs! One of the greatest running backs that played the game!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

no one is even close to Rice's records. And Montana has a full hand full of rings.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
no one is even close to Rice's records. And Montana has a full hand full of rings.
Hi James, I know. When Montana was playing Thertesa became a fan of his. But, those two tore the heart out of Chicago. I think it was January 1988. On one of the coldest evenings in Chicago. The wind chill below zero, what we call "Bear weather". Those Forty Niners came to the icy lakefront to play the Bears in the playoffs. They kicked our butts. They played outstanding in the cold. A great game for the Niners.

·
Banned
5,730 Posts
imported post

Bob wrote:
With the Pro Bowl game today, I was thinking, who is the greatest in football. It could be the greatest player, greatest defense, greatest coaches, greatest linebackereven the greatest cheerleaders. Anything you percieve as great in the game! Everybody will have different opinions.

A short funny story, When I took Theresa to her first Beargame, Walter"Sweetness" Payton had about a 60 yard run from scrimage. Soldier Field erupts, the fans are slapping, clapping andcheering.As I sit back down, theresa grabs my arm and asks me, "why were they chasing that man"? A true story!

Bob, I could not agree more with your humble opinion.

My first introduction to Walter was me sitting on the curb in front of my home after a day of work drinking an Old Style as Walter flew by on his 1300cc Suzuki, he came back and asked if I had another one, and that was the start of our friendship.

My friend, neighbor, possible the most genuine and humblest person it's been my privilege to know. I still recall the days Sweetness buzzing around the old hood in Arlington Heights with his latest Papa Bear signing bonus (Porsche) at 130mph, or his Suzuki 1300cc motorcycle, drinking his Lowenbrau on tap or banging on the drums together, going fishing on his private pond or Wind Lake in Wisconsin.

I tried running Walters hill twice, damm near killed me each time. Going with him to the Salmon Shop (bait store) in Palatine and seeing the kids and parents eyes light up seeing this Giant of a man with 38 inch thighs!! I recall the fight Walter had with ignorant people of Inverness Illinois who did not want Walter to buy land or build his residence in their community, because of his skin color.

Among the countless superlatives lavished on Walter was that of a Minnesota Viking who declared, "Once you got ahold of him, you weren't sure you should have." A race car driver, restaurateur, investor, speaker, businessman and entrepreneur, Payton died of liver disease in 1999, six years after he was elected to the Hall of Fame. "Sweetness" was the No. 4 pick out of Jackson State in 1975 and before his retirement in 1987 had set 16 NFL records, including that of all-time leading rusher with 16,726 total yards.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

sportscenterisnext wrote:
Bob wrote:

Bob, I could not agree more with your humble opinion.

My first introduction to Walter was me sitting on the curb in front of my home after a day of work drinking an Old Style as Walter flew by on his 1300cc Suzuki, he came back and asked if I had another one, and that was the start of our friendship.

My friend, neighbor, possible the most genuine and humblest person it's been my privilege to know. I still recall the days Sweetness buzzing around the old hood in Arlington Heights with his latest Papa Bear signing bonus (Porsche) at 130mph, or his Suzuki 1300cc motorcycle, drinking his Lowenbrau on tap or banging on the drums together, going fishing on his private pond or Wind Lake in Wisconsin.

I tried running Walters hill twice, damm near killed me each time. Going with him to the Salmon Shop (bait store) in Palatine and seeing the kids and parents eyes light up seeing this Giant of a man with 38 inch thighs!! I recall the fight Walter had with ignorant people of Inverness Illinois who did not want Walter to buy land or build his residence in their community, because of his skin color.

Among the countless superlatives lavished on Walter was that of a Minnesota Viking who declared, "Once you got ahold of him, you weren't sure you should have." A race car driver, restaurateur, investor, speaker, businessman and entrepreneur, Payton died of liver disease in 1999, six years after he was elected to the Hall of Fame. "Sweetness" was the No. 4 pick out of Jackson State in 1975 and before his retirement in 1987 had set 16 NFL records, including that of all-time leading rusher with 16,726 total yards.

Thank you sportscentralisnext! A big thank you for sharring this. Anybody who new Walter has only good things to say about him. The world became a little colder when it lost Walter. A true gentleman and the kind of person to use as a role model for their children.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

Best Kicker of all time......

George Blanda Bears / Colts / Oilers / Raiders

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

Coach

Vince Lombardi
Birth name:
Vincent Thomas Lombardi (aka Vince Lombardi)
Born: June 11, 1913 in Brooklyn, New York
Deceased: September 3, 1970 in Washington, D.C.
Buried: Mount Olivett Cemetery in Middletown, NJ
High school: St. Francis Preparatory High School
College: Fordham University
Married: Marie Planitz in 1940
Children: Vince Lombardi, Jr. and Susan Lombardi

Coaching Career:
• Assistant coach at St. Cecilia High School in Englewood, NJ (1939-42)
• Head coach at St. Cecilia High School in Englewood, NJ (1942-47)
• Freshman football and basketball coach at Fordham University (1947)
• Assistant football coach at Fordham University (1948)
• Assistant coach at U.S. Military Academy at West Point (1949-53)
• Offensive coordinator for the New York Giants (1954-58)
• Head coach for the Green Bay Packers (1959-67)
• Head coach for the Washington Redskins (1969-70)

Career Highlights/Honors
• Began head coaching career with the Green Bay Packers in 1959
• Was named NFL Coach of the Year in 1959, his rookie season
• Won 5 NFL Championships, including Super Bowls I and II, during his tenure with the Green Bay Packers
• Inducted as a charter member of the Fordham University Hall of Fame in 1970
• Shortly after his death in 1970, the Rotary Club of Houston established the Lombardi Award, an annual honor that recognizes the nation's best collegiate lineman
• Posthumously inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1971
• In his honor, the NFL renamed “The Super Bowl Trophy” to the “Vince Lombardi Super Bowl Trophy” in 1971
• Inducted into the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame in 1975
• Was a member of the famed “Seven Blocks of Granite”, the nickname given to Fordham University’s famous offensive line

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Interesting topic

Wide out

#1 Jerry Rice
#2 Jerry Rice
#3 Jerry Rice
#4 Jerry Rice
#5 Jerry Rice

When someone can be mentioned in the same breath with Jerry Rice i will consider them, until the the top 5 id Jerry Rice.

Running back

#1 Barry Sanders
#2 Walter Payton
#3 Jim Brown
#4 Gayle Sayers
#5 Emmit Smith

Quarter Back

#1 Joe Montana
#2 Johnny Unitas
#3 Peyton manning
#4 Bret Farve
#5 Dan Marino

Line Backers

#1 Mike Singletary
#2 Lawrence Taylor
#3 Ray Lewis
#4 Dick Butkus
#5 Jack Lambert

Coach

#1 Chuck Knoll
#2 Don Shula
#3 Vince Lombardi
#4 Tom Landry
#5 Bill walsh

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

Spaceview wrote:
Coach

Vince Lombardi

Birth name:
Vincent Thomas Lombardi (aka Vince Lombardi)
Born: June 11, 1913 in Brooklyn, New York
Deceased: September 3, 1970 in Washington, D.C.
Buried: Mount Olivett Cemetery in Middletown, NJ
High school: St. Francis Preparatory High School
College: Fordham University
Married: Marie Planitz in 1940
Children: Vince Lombardi, Jr. and Susan Lombardi

Coaching Career:
• Assistant coach at St. Cecilia High School in Englewood, NJ (1939-42)
• Head coach at St. Cecilia High School in Englewood, NJ (1942-47)
• Freshman football and basketball coach at Fordham University (1947)
• Assistant football coach at Fordham University (1948)
• Assistant coach at U.S. Military Academy at West Point (1949-53)
• Offensive coordinator for the New York Giants (1954-58)
• Head coach for the Green Bay Packers (1959-67)
• Head coach for the Washington Redskins (1969-70)

Career Highlights/Honors

• Began head coaching career with the Green Bay Packers in 1959
• Was named NFL Coach of the Year in 1959, his rookie season
• Won 5 NFL Championships, including Super Bowls I and II, during his tenure with the Green Bay Packers
• Inducted as a charter member of the Fordham University Hall of Fame in 1970
• Shortly after his death in 1970, the Rotary Club of Houston established the Lombardi Award, an annual honor that recognizes the nation's best collegiate lineman
• Posthumously inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1971
• In his honor, the NFL renamed “The Super Bowl Trophy” to the “Vince Lombardi Super Bowl Trophy” in 1971
• Inducted into the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame in 1975
• Was a member of the famed “Seven Blocks of Granite”, the nickname given to Fordham University’s famous offensive line
Here is a video tribute to Coach Lombardi.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/Sbv-hN1yWHk&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.