Watch Freeks banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I know he is a very good player but I have no sympathy for this dummy. He knew he should not have his guns with him in the locker room, and then he mocked the league on Tuesday night by pretending to shoot fake guns in the air before a game while his team mates joked around him. Just plain dumb. Obviously the commissioner was going to suspend him eventually, but he had no choice after Tuesday night. And now the team has to fine all the dumb players who participated in the gun mocking.
I would not be surprised if this is like a Ron Artest situation and he is suspended for a long long time. And let's not forget that there is a good chance he is going to get jail time for the entire situation also.

So he was an idiot for bringing the gun to work in the first place, and then not smart enough to keep a low profile after everything happened.

I have no problem with guns. I have problems with stupid people.

JUST PLAIN STUPID.

--------------------

Washington Wizards attempt to deal with suspension of Gilbert Arenas

By Michael Lee
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, January 7, 2010; D01

CLEVELAND -- The same players who surrounded Gilbert Arenas and laughed while he playfully mimicked shooting them with his fingers on Tuesday took a much more somber tone a day later after Arenas's actions and words led NBA Commissioner David Stern to suspend the three-time all-star indefinitely.

The Washington Wizards received word of the suspension a few hours before facing the Cleveland Cavaliers on Wednesday.

"It's tough when something like this happens," co-captain Antawn Jamison said before the game. "For us, we just have to concentrate on basketball and what we have and hope that the process takes care of itself. It's a serious one. Most important thing is, we just want Gilbert to play basketball again. We know it's a tough day for him. We're playing Cleveland. You know he would've loved to be playing with us right now."

Arenas, who turned 28 on Wednesday, did not arrive with his teammates at Quicken Loans Arena. Arenas led the Wizards in scoring (22.6 points) and assists (7.2); he stands to lose about $147,000 per game during this suspension. The Wizards could also potentially look into voiding the four years and $80 million remaining on his contract using the "moral turpitude" provision in the collective bargaining agreement.

Arenas is under investigation by federal and local authorities and the NBA after admitting to bringing four guns to Verizon Center, which violates D.C. gun laws and league rules. In a scathing statement, Stern condemned Arenas's behavior after it was revealed that he got into a dispute with teammate Javaris Crittenton involving guns and said he was "not currently fit to take the court in an NBA game." Stern added that Arenas's conduct in the past few days would "ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse."

The Wizards "fully" endorsed the decision in a statement in which the team criticized Arenas's behavior and that of his teammates before playing the Philadelphia 76ers on Tuesday night. During pregame introductions before the Wizards' 104-97 win against the Philadelphia 76ers, Arenas poked fun at his legal and league troubles. But Stern didn't see the humor in his antics, or when Arenas later called Stern "mean" and said "if I really did something wrong, I would feel remorse."

His teammates, who have played without him for much of the past two seasons as he recovered from a surgically repaired left knee, were left to regroup once again.

"It's tough for me, because we're close friends," DeShawn Stevenson said. "I just think sometimes things get blown out of proportion. And then you add to it, it's a bad situation. I hope he just learns from it. Gil is a funny-type dude. Sometimes people don't take the things that you do funny. But I love the dude and when the real story comes out, he didn't do nothing bad."

Coach Flip Saunders started Earl Boykins in the absence of Arenas, whose mistake was described by one NBA coach as "the ultimate screw-up." Saunders would not comment on what Arenas did on Tuesday, but he did discuss the challenges that face the Wizards, who were a disappointing 11-21 entering the game against Cleveland.

"Our team has gone through a lot over the years. We've gone through injuries and so now we just have to prepare and play," Saunders said. "You can't worry about players that you don't have due to injury or whatever. Those guys are professional they have go out and perform at a high level. There's no question when you have a situation or incident that happened you've got to take action."

Guard Mike Miller, in his first season with the Wizards, said the road ahead just became more difficult.

"It's hard, especially because we had such great expectations coming in and haven't had the whole team together the whole year. This is going to prolong that," he said. "It's been one of those seasons. I feel for the organization because they've done everything to put us in position to be successful and it hasn't worked out that way yet."

Stevenson said that some of Arenas's teammates had warned him to tone down his antics. "You can't play with David Stern like that," Stevenson said, "but he's going to be his own person. It's just sad to see something like that, because he has a family and a fiancee. And when you do stuff like that, that's when you hinder your family. I know he don't want that for his kids and his family."

Said Jamison: "You have to be careful what you do. It's tough to try to turn this thing around. We don't know how long he's going to be out. It's sad. For us, we have to play with his type of spirit and hopefully the legal stuff and the suspension will take care of itself."

Source - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/06/AR2010010604732.html

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

You can't fix stupid. It has always existed, it will always exist. How many athletes, performers, etc. throw away their careers because they are stupid....too many to count. I also have no sympathy, times are tough for too many good people.

CJ

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

He isnt done by any stretch, although I think he will be suspended for a year he will be back.

This is the problem with Sports, these guys make way too much money, and most grew up in the hood, with the common sense of a teenager.

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
He isnt done by any stretch, although I think he will be suspended for a year he will be back.

This is the problem with Sports, these guys make way too much money, and most grew up in the hood, with the common sense of a teenager.
LOL Ron! They never grew up, they have no common sense nor any sense at all to that matter. Worst part about it is that they are laughing all the way to the bank. Pissin in our faces.......... the people that support them. Me? I don't pay to see professional sports anymore. NOt gonna be a part of that madness. Too many criminals that think they are above the law. Put some bucks in their pockets and they really believe they are above it all!!! F'em man!

And as for James saying they are stupid?? NO! They define "S T U P I D"!!!!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

Aren't handguns still illegal in DC (they were when I lived there for 20 years). I was wondering if he did this in DC.

In any event . . . how freekin' stupid can you be??????

I hope that the punishment fits the crime and that the NBA and law enforcement realize that a slap on the wrist isn't going to work.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

Why? He had to know it was wrong to have guns on your personbut to take the guns to work with you. I just cannot understand what would motivate a person to do that. It will be interesting how this situation plays out for Mr Arenas. ....Bob

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

I believe Stern will shut him down the rest of the year. I agree with Ron that he'll be back next season, but then again, Arenas just jerked with potentially billions of advertising dollars by pulling this crap and then trying to laugh it off. Problem is, no one who is infusing the league with said billions is laughing with him. I believe Stern will put the screws to Arenas until he shows genuine contrition and that's when he'll get back in.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

Although I feel this is a separate issue, I don't agree with the notion that these athletes make too much. If an actor can knock down 15-25 million a picture, then a world class athlete that dedicates his life to training and being the best in his field and generates hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue, can make the same amount. They're (athletes) worth what a billionaire owner is willing to pay them.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

I agree, and with all that money they should be able to surround themselves with...smarter people who will advise them not to bring 3 guns their locker/place of employment, lol

·
Long Time Member
8,308 Posts
imported post

Stupid is stupid.

No race, creed, color, religion or economic status has exclusive rights to it.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

No doubt James. The problem with many of them is that they've NEVER been told no! They've been catered to because they were special talents at a young age. The people around them enable them along the way. It's never their fault. Now you have a young, millionaire, idiot athlete that thinks he's above it all. He doesn't learn the lesson until he's shot himself in the leg, or killed someone while driving drunk, or killed a bunch of dogs!

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

You and I dont disagree very oftern, but i dont think an Actor, An athelete should make this kind of money. I think Teachers, Scientists, and people who dedicating there lives to make this a better place should make that kind of money! A Phisycal gift brings less value then a gift from the heart dont you think? Did i just say that $hit?

TUNAKLLR wrote:
Although I feel this is a separate issue, I don't agree with the notion that these athletes make too much. If an actor can knock down 15-25 million a picture, then a world class athlete that dedicates his life to training and being the best in his field and generates hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue, can make the same amount. They're (athletes) worth what a billionaire owner is willing to pay them.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

while I agree with you Ron 100%, and I imagine EVERYONE would agree with you, our world sadly revolves around "getting paid what you are worth and actually produce" to the industry in question. You can calculate the value of an actor based on the income their movies generate or an athlete based on the amount of money a sport brings in. You cant calculate in any way that people understand the value of a teacher anymore. It is SAD and it is completely backwards, but with the world revolving around the all mighty dollar, it is the only way people seem to understand anymore. Sad Sad Sad.

·
Banned
5,730 Posts
imported post

Like Seattle sayz: You can't fix stupid.

What would the consequence be if the idiot discharged the weapon? His excuse for having the weapons at the arena was he wanted them out of the house after the birth of his most recent child.

What gets me is the language in the contract between the NBA and the Players Union about possession of weapons, some website had the complete verbiage yesterday, sorry I cannot find it, much stronger than whats posted below.

Since the firearms language was strengthened in the 2005 collective bargaining agreement, NBA players are subject to discipline if they bring guns to the arena, practice facility or an offsite promotional appearance.

Poverty Sucks:
With each game he misses, Arenas, who turned 28 on Wednesday, will lose about $147,200 of the $16.2 million he will earn this season in the second of a six-year, $111 million contract. As of Wednesday he had $9,429,505.41 remaining for this season.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

A Phisycal gift brings less value then a gift from the heart dont you think? Did i just say that $hit?

Yes you did Rip...you golden-hearted sumbitch! :b

While I agree that teachers, scientists, and the like should make much more than they do, considering their contribution to society, the cold reality is...families and corporations don't shell out billions of dollars a year to watch teachers teach or watch scientists do research.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Yes you did Rip...you golden-hearted sumbitch! :b

:%:%:%:%:%

Yeah I guess every now and again, stuff comes out I didnt know was in there!:lol

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Being athletically talented or musically gifted does not mean you have any common sense.......
As far as the pay, we are at fault that they (entertainers) make as much as they do as well as we are at fault that teachers, etc. make so little. It's where we've decided to put our priorities as a society.
If DC lets him go....another team will grab him and pay him more.

CJ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.