Watch Freeks banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been going through my broken / old / knackered pile recently, seeing what I could resurrect.

I stumbled across the head of an old Seiko 5. Scratched crystal, scratched case, no bracelet. Probably best to skip it, as it is a watch that the equivalent can be had for less than £50 brand new.

Except this 5 was my first ever analogue watch, my first ever Seiko and my first ever auto. Yes, at 10 years old I was wearing an Seiko Auto, which I'd asked for for xmas. Loving watches must be part of my DNA :)

So, I couldn't skip it, so what to do:

1. Replace crystal
2. Polish case
3. Get movement serviced
4. Get a period (1985) bracelet

I read somewhere that toothpaste is good for acrylic crystals. "Bollocks" I thought, but during down time in the evening, I circled the crystal with a microfibre cloth and some Aquafresh. Well bugger me, if it didn't work! It's not perfect, but good enough for a 30 year old piece.

I polished the case with my Dremel and some Dialux Green on a cotton pad, et voila!

The movement, even though it hasn't seen lubrication is 30 years and hasn't run in 20, just works. Keeps great time.

So one period jubilee later and it's done.

An old friend, that was on my wrist through many a good and a few bad childhood days is now back in rotation.

Shame it's a bit small now, but the weird thing is just looking at it makes me feel all nostalgic...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wearing that at 10... In 85. That's just awesome!!! Watch looks amazing. I was actually about to buy one of those, and put a leather strap on it for a dress watch. Lol. Great deal!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Looks really really good now.
well done.

Great watch and pics

Reactions: TonyMaroney

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah. Really should get it serviced as it won't have any lube left in it, but it's a lot of money. I guess if it hasn't broken by now, it never will...I hope.
Wrist shot.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442508930.035447.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,582 Posts
How can you beat that Tony?! :thumb::thumb: Holy cow, basically is as good as new it seems from here, and now you have entirely new take on what it means to be in 'mint' condition !!! :smile: ..Check that out ! Truly looks perfect from here, and like it never had even a scratch. That dial, and bracelet are super sharp, and the size is terrific when you think about it. It's ready for years of enjoyment again ! Excellent work, and thanks so much for tips too by the way Tony. ..Hope you keep on enjoying this one !

·
Registered
489 Posts
If I could only bring back the watches that I used to own as a kid... sigh. Anyway, I'm happy for you and this little piece of your personal history. I'm sure you'll have many more memories with it that you can pass along to your kids or grandkids.

Reactions: TonyMaroney

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've picked up a couple of those 7009's and they've been going for years without a service. Still showing respectable numbers on the vibro too. They're not too difficult to service, with plenty of spares floating around. So if you get that done, you'll be enjoying this watch for years to come.
Interesting comments on the use of toothpaste. I've used toothpaste to revive the cases on titanium watches which scuff up easily. Gives them a nice face-lift.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the comments. Now, this guys 80s running mate for wrist time...Citizen with multicoloured LCD. Time to fire up with ultrasonic bath.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Tony:
As they say here in Malfunctio Junction
"Ya dun good"!!!!
Really a looker IMHO.

Did Seiko use the 7S26 engine in this watch?
Wearing my Black Monster 1st Gen today.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tony:
As they say here in Malfunctio Junction
"Ya dun good"!!!!
Really a looker IMHO.

Did Seiko use the 7S26 engine in this watch?
Wearing my Black Monster 1st Gen today.

Lou Snutt
Cheers bud. No this has a 7009 movement in it, which predates the 7S26. The main difference that I can see is that you push the crown in to set the day.

They're supposed to be quite robust for a cheap auto, and I can attest to that as this thing just keeps on chugging...I had a 7S26 die 3 years from new, but another in my 10 year old black monster keeps on rocking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts