Watch Freeks banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

M5 Astron N swiss (Swiss 339 case, 6 digit serial number with no letter or 1- prefix, swiss dial.) M2 "602" clone, I bought the movement with the dial and hands, researched it, found a 10K case that looks like the 18K one it should have and made myself a clone. M7 12/24hr RR, M6 12hr RR. The two missing are a very nice M7 Canadian dress RR (missing the Railroad Approved stamp so its a hidden spaceview, and an M2 12 hr railroad.

Will

·
Super Moderator
10,601 Posts
Nice Will, holy cow !!! 😮o_O

Every one of these is actually a centerpiece type of watch
really. With each vying for highlight of the collection. 😎
Seriously, you really don’t see them every day, or any day.
It must be a real joy having the chance to see these there
in person on the wrist. So thank you very much for giving
us a feel of what it’s like ! (y)(y)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Astro is pretty sweet. There will be a thread on it alone in the not so distant future as its a pretty unique watch (apparently) This was my second accutron, bought it not working not knowing it was anything more than what appears to be an Astro N with a luminous seconds hand. It wasn't until I sent it off to Thailand to be serviced that I found out that there were some odd things going on with it that shouldn't be there, yet there they were, and by all indications, had been there from the factory. The "339" stamping on the inside of the case back as well as the non prefix serial number on the swiss case, with the T-Swiss-T dial that is stamped "SWISS" in ink on the back make this a unique variation. I've actually only had it in my possession for about two weeks. I've been wearing it frequently.

The 602, well, I have a feeling someone scrapped the case and sold the movement for next to nothing. He would have been better off selling the whole watch since they don't exactly grow on trees. The only thing that is a giveaway that it isn't the real deal is the crystal. I don't know what the shape of the crystal for a real 602 is, but what I have on there now is this big blocky thing that is ugly. I bought the movement mostly as a parts movement, but then got curious and researched the dial and found that it was from a rather rare and expensive watch. The best thing is that the movement runs great. It keeps very good time although I should likely send it off to be given a once over just to be safe. The 12/24hr RR is most likely in the wrong case. It was my first Accutron, and is the most frequently worn of the bunch. Its keeps very good time. The 12hr RR has never really worked right. When I first got it it ran SUPER fast, so I sent it out to be serviced. When it came back, the hack function didn't work... then I opened it up to look at something (can't remember if it was the date code or what) and found a normal 214 movement in it, not the 214H that it left with. I sent it back to the guy who put another 214H movement in, but the watch still doesn't keep good time unless I wear it every day. If it sits over the weekend it will often lose 5 minutes in two days. If worn, it seems to keep pretty good time. Its a really clean, nice watch. I dig the blue hands with the bright red seconds hand. (The black hands on the 12/24hr RR just don't look as good in my opinion) The dial is very clean as well.

I've got some pretty nice art deco period Bulovas as well. Some are nicer than others, but one of the highlights is a 1930 Sky King with the original bracelet. I also have an okay looking '26 Banker with the original bracelet, and a pretty stunning 1940 American Eagle with the original bracelet as well. (I really like this watch, but rarely wear it because I don't want to damage it in any way. From what I can tell, its all original. It keeps good time as well.)

·
Super Moderator
10,601 Posts
Boy oh boy, some incredible watches Will, and evidently it's just the tip
of the iceberg with those fantastic Bulovas as well ! 🤯😀 Not only do
you have some terrific taste in watches. But then the rare factor, as well
as Accutron watches being so unique is extraordinary. 🙂 What's nice
also is having watches that aren't out there on everyone's wrists right?!
Plus you have the history of the watches, and brands which is so very
cool also.

Thanks so much for sharing the stories about these, and everything !
Looking forward to learning more down the road.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd be happy to post pics of the Bulovas, but since this is an Accutron page, I wasn't sure if pre Accutron Bulovas are allowed.

Here is a bad shot of the Hidden Space view that is missing from the original group.

·
Super Moderator
10,601 Posts
No worries either way Will, and by the way, that's not a bad shot in any way !(y)(y)

You just have to love the straightforward awesome simplicity of these. All while
knowing there's a genuine dynamic quality inside, and out. It's like a snapshot
of, or into history really. 😉🙂 Think it's fascinating to have a chance to see.

Thanks very much for sharing !!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The art deco collection...
1926 Bulova Trojan. Keeps decent time, could use with a service. The hands need to be relumed, and the dial could be redone as well. Case is in nice shape.

1926 Bulova Banker, original bracelet. The dial could use with a redo, but its not super horrible. The crystal has quite a few deep scratches, but aside from that the watch runs nicely.

1930 Bulova Sky King with original bracelet. One of my favorites.

1937 Bulova American clipper. It shows better than it looks in this pic. Now has a nice pigskin tan band.

1938 Bulova Commentator. I really dig this watch. I bought it running, and then it stopped. I'm pretty sure it needs to be cleaned but aside from that is in nice shape.

Horrible picture (gotta love getting the depth of field wrong) , beautiful watch. 1940 Bulova American Eagle. Its not perfect, but its very very nice. Perhaps the nicest mechanical watch that I own.

1942 Bulova Air Warden. This watch was UGLY when I bought it, but its a gold plated sterling silver case, so once the tarnish was removed, it became a nice looking watch. Keeps perfect time. The hands still glow pretty well (they are NOS, I ruined the original hands when the crystal popped off and I didn't realize it.) This thing is tiny, but one of my favorites.

1953 Bulova His Excellency. It looks better in person than it does in the pics. Really a nice watch, very thin.

The watch that got me started with Bulovas, 1956 Model 23 with a stainless case. I have a couple of these, but this is the only one that runs. (The others need to be cleaned.)

Another of my favorites, and I've never seen another like it. Its a 1960 model 23, but I haven't the slightest clue what variant it is, and neither does the group on My Bulova. Automatic movement, keeps great time. I've never been able to get this one open so I don't have a clue what movement it has. It should be a 10BPAC, but I really don't know. It appears to be a top loading case.

I have a couple others, a '26 Bulova Conqueror/Lone Eagle. The watch given to Charles Lindbergh after completing his transatlantic flight. (The Conqueror became the Lone Eagle in '27) The movement in it is wrong (9AN rather than a 10A, 10P or 10AP) , as are the hands. The dial is so so, the case is in pretty nice shape. I also have a Bulova Templar with the wrong movement that doesn't run. I don't have pics of either of these watches.

Will

·
Super Moderator
10,601 Posts
Yowza, extraordinary stuff there Will !!! o_O (y)(y) :D

It just amazes me with the amount of thought, along with
work they put into watches years ago. 😀🏆 Not that a lot
of work doesn't go into today's watches. But these kinds of
watches in which you are showing are breathtaking imho.

Plus the way in which watches were built yesterday wasn't
the same. You can bet there was a real human touch involved
with creating these beauties, and you know there was a lot of
imagination. Because so many of the watches were pioneering
new watchmaking ideas, as well as practices right?! Just the
bracelets alone are so impressive, and ultra cool highlights !

Wow, just wow Will !! 😲Thanks a ton for taking the time to
show these to us !!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot one, a 1938 Bulova Dean with original bracelet. Another really nice watch, but the bracelet is just a touch too small for my wrist. I can wear it, but its not comfortable.

There is a bit of a theme with my watches, Lone Eagle/Conqueror, Sky King, American Eagle and Clipper, Air Warden, and the Accutron Astronaut. Bulova was heavily supportive of the early years of aviation. They had a standing reward to the first person to fly solo across the Atlantic, $1000 and a line of watches to commemorate the feat. They even had a watch to commemorate Dennis Corrington's transatlantic flight (Douglas Corrigan's hero was Charles Lindbergh. After applying for permission for a trans-Atlantic flight several times and being denied, Corrigan (of Irish descent) took off from from July 17, 1938 from Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, New York with a flight plan filed to return to his home in California. He later landed at Baldonnel Airport, in Dublin, after a 28-hour, 13-minute flight. His plane still exists, its now at the Planes of Fame museum in Chino Ca awaiting restoration.) They were also the official watch of American Airlines in the late '30s.

These early Bulovas were not cheap watches by any means. The Lone Eagle was $50 in 14K white gold, or $85 in 18K solid white gold. $50 back then was about $735 now, $85 was $1250 in todays money. Still, back then you were paying $385 for a Ford Model A so $50 was an expensive watch back then.

Still, for the price you paid, you got a piece of art that you could use and wear. Now nearly a century later, the craftsmanship was good enough that the watches are still going, even unrestored. And to top that off, they still look amazing. A female friend of mine was looking for watches a few years ago and was dead set on buying some new, gaudy looking thing. I did a quick look on ebay and found a nice mid '20s Bulova womens watch for next to nothing and gave that to her. She wears it on a frequent basis and always gets compliments on it.The same thing with my Sky King. That gold and silver bracelet catches the eye, and then people see the watch. That is true timeless elegance that modern watches just don't have. The Bulovas of the art deco period really were some of the most beautiful watches of their time, and the best made. I often wonder if Bulova set the standard, and others like Elgin, Hamilton, Waltham ect just copied their dial and case designs. (There are a lot of non Bulovas that look very similar to a Bulova to the point that you have to look at the name on the dial to see if it is a Bulova or a something else.) I'm pretty sure the Bulovas were all hand assembled as well.

I am really impressed how Bulova kept innovating ultimately reaching their high point with the Accutrons. So many people bow down to Rolex, Omega, ect as being the best, but they weren't even on the radar until the '50s, and then some (Omega) borrowed some of Bulova's engineering to produce their own version of an Accutron. Omega may have been the first watch to be worn walking on the moon, but it was an Accutron that got them there, and is still the fastest flying watch on earth (X-15 program, as well as the Lockheed A-12 and early SR-71 program. I think the Accutron timer/clock was also used in the A-12/SR-71 Astro-inertial navigation system that allowed them to fly anywhere in the world at over 3 times the speed of sound without getting lost.) I'm saddened to see what has become of Bulova in modern times. From the best of the best to a second or third tier watch manufacturer at best, and one that many people now have never really heard of, and don't know the history of (and what an amazing history it is.) I'd love to see Bulova return to the aviation scene, perhaps sponsor a class at the Reno Air Races like Rolex, Omega, Oris all have. (I think Bulova may have been a sponsor of the Cleveland National Championship Air races back in the 20s, 30s and 40s, but I'm not 100% sure.)

Citizen isn't afraid to do a rewind on things, I see them re releasing a few older designs, but with mechanical movements rather than the Accutron one. They did do the Spaceview replica, so clearly they are looking at the older designs. How neat would it be to see them do a replica of a Sky King, Lone Eagle or one of those from the 20s and 30s, but keep them the original size rather than the current monstrosities that seem to be en vogue these days? Shrink the modern high end movement down to the size of the 10AN, copy the dial and case and release a masterpiece. That would be a modern watch I'd buy.

·
Super Moderator
10,601 Posts
Ooh neat Will, and isn’t it fascinating how the size of these watches
was years ago?! 😉🙂 Just the case sizes alone were amazing, but
then so were the bracelets as you pointed out. (y) You know what it
was I think possibly?! It was maybe that watchmakers we’re trying
very hard to basically make clocks for wrists, and the theme was,
the smaller the better. 😃 Honestly is so cool to see sir.

Speaking of cool, love the lessons on Bulova’s history, along with
you teaching us about their connection to aviation, as well as all
of those great people ! It really makes you, or us, appreciate a
company we already appreciated even more I think. Oh, and the
idea to find that vintage women’s watch for your friend was just
THE best as well ! 🙂 Can imagine it is phenomenal, and a real
treasure actually. Nice work !!!

Have to agree with you Will, Bulova had to have offered a ton
of inspiration to ALL of those companies you mention. I think
it was probably as it was with car companies. Where one would
do something, and then others would come up with competing
models. Then as with so many things, people find the new, or
newer brands seemingly more exciting. Maybe it’s the younger
people in every generation that cause that shift. But we so often
see that jump to the ‘next big thing’, and Bulova, just like so
many of the original car companies, department stores, and
everything in between was maybe sort of a victim of the same
thing.

Guess we should be thankful that Citizen seems to really get
how important the brand was, and is. You can bet that in the
coming years, Citizen will be be paying attention to the past,
and releasing vintage inspired heritage models. While adding
new cutting edge watches as well, and maybe even vintage,
and modern aviation creations for you Will.

Honestly think Bulova’s future is going to be a bright one ! (y)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I added another this morning... it was an ebay find, I was the only bidder. I won't see it likely till next week, but here are a couple pics from the ad. Now I have an Astro from the light side and the dark side... At this point it just looks like a silver dialed Astro with a lum seconds hand (apparently somewhat uncommon, and now both of mine have it.)

I've bought my friend a few classic Bulovas for her birthday over the years. A "Goddess of Time", a 1926 "Baroness" and another whos name I can't remember. I also gave her a copy of an American Clipper like the one I already have. I have to say, there are some deals to be had on women's watches from the art deco period. $75 goes a very long way when buying them.

It will be interesting to see what Citizen does with the Bulova line. I hope they will continue to explore their history and reissue more of the old designs. They are just so timeless and elegant in a way that many modern watches cannot compete with. Seriously, why wear a Prius when you can wear a Duesenberg (And I'm not talking size here.)? Eh, perhaps I was just born in the wrong era.

·
Super Moderator
10,601 Posts
Hey, neat Will, a GIANT congrats there ahead of time !!! :D

That’s yet another showstopper, and you were the only
bidder too?! 😲(y) Ridiculously cool, as well as lucky,
and then the lume second hand almost makes it like a
limited edition. Very nice !

By the way, something else very nice, is how you found
those terrific watches for your friend imho. It just seems
really thoughtful, and of course cool. 😎 And how about
the names of those watches?! Awesome sir !!! Yes, there