Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
8,163 Posts
Although I will, probably, never get to own one, this right here:

7.Rolex service is the best service

:)
Those who bought a Cartier Santos Dumont in the early Eighties (like me in 1980), received with it a lifetime warranty on a credit card sized pass. That included lifetime free maintenance. My brother, who owns the watch now, has sent it in for three times up to date. Every time it came back like new, wrapped in blue plastic. But Cartier stopped delivering watches with this service many, many years ago. I guess it became too costly to them.

Reactions: ganson

·
Registered
337 Posts
Those who bought a Cartier Santos Dumont in the early Eighties (like me in 1980), received with it a lifetime warranty on a credit card sized pass. That included lifetime free maintenance. My brother, who owns the watch now, has sent it in for three times up to date. Every time it came back like new, wrapped in blue plastic. But Cartier stopped delivering watches with this service many, many years ago. I guess it became too costly to them.
Sometimes quality service backfires. You expect repeat customers and added sales. Instead service too good and they never need a new product. Especially something as classic as the Santos Dumont

·
4,210 Posts
As they say in films "I concur" with the 10.
Like Radiomir I'll never be able to afford one.
But thats neither here nor there.
My Dr just bought a Sub Mariner. Why didn't I
become a Dr? Probably bought it from Petty Cash
drawer.

Lou Snutt

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
6,387 Posts
Although I will, probably, never get to own one, this right here:

7.Rolex service is the best service

:)
For over a thousand dollars a pop, it had better be the tops!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Like me, I suspect a lot of people sell them when they need service
I had mine for 8 years and knew someday I would have yo pay 25% of original cost to get it serviced at Rolex. 1 year warranty bugged me from the beginning
So I sold it. For more than I bought it for

Used the money to buy many others which I enjoy.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Funny Rolex innovations and they mention the bracelet??? It only took around 30 years for them to make a good one. I think they did other things that were way more innovated.

Rolex service??? That is subjective, they might be good compared to some brands but the best??? Maybe not for the price of admission.

Rolex doesn't use silly ambassadors??? The fact that they spend silly amounts of money on advertising should be silly enough. They would be better off using "Joe Dirt" as a ambassador.

·
Super Moderator
7,520 Posts
Rolex watch never goes out of style
True enough.

Rolex innovations
Sometimes, though they seem to use Tudor for that now days.

Rolex accuracy specifications
Debatable.

Rolex produces in-house
Agreed, in-house is good.

Rolex is your ticket home
That is an expensive ticket I hope you would never have to use.

Rolex needs no explanation
Nope, you usually have to spend time at the bar explaining to the guy next to you that "no, it is real and not a replica, yes, I am sure you can get one just like it for $100".

Rolex service is the best service
Damn well should be for what they charge.

Rolex is recognized
Sure is, not always in a good way.

Rolex is expensive
Can't argue that. Keeps the rif-raf out.

Rolex doesn’t use silly ambassadors
That's good, I hate product ambassadors.

Don't take me too seriously, I am just stirring the pot :)

·
8,163 Posts

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
6,387 Posts

·
8,163 Posts
Does anyone here have a fairly accurate insight in the Rolex maintenance procedure? Regular maintenance vs. a factory overhaul and the real costs involved? The only figure I have is from 2010: 560 Euro for service at an AD. Routine maintenance. There's at least one thing I agree upon: that 1 year factory warranty (two years at most Dutch AD's) is very meagre but fits the business model.

Reactions: ganson

·
Super Moderator
7,520 Posts
Does anyone here have a fairly accurate insight in the Rolex maintenance procedure? Regular maintenance vs. a factory overhaul and the real costs involved? The only figure I have is from 2010: 560 Euro for service at an AD. Routine maintenance. There's at least one thing I agree upon: that 1 year factory warranty (two years a most Dutch AD's) is very meagre but fits the business model.

Rolex maintenance sometimes reminds me of Ferrari engine-out service.

When I say it reminds me, it's because I'll never experience either :)

Honestly though, $700-ish for service on what may easily be a $10k watch does not seem completely unreasonable (assuming you are not getting an overhaul).

It'll likely cost me a few hundred when it comes time to service my Seiko MM300, and that is significantly less expensive.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I'm skeptical about #9:

The list leaves me with the impression that, if I buy a Sub today for $9,000, it will not only maintain its value, but its value will actually continue to grow each year in perpetuity.

I'm not an economist or a watch expert, but ...

... from what I can gather, Rolex prices have risen dramatically over the last few decades, the so called "luxurification" of Rolex watches.

So, my concern as a potential customer would be, could it happen that the rapidly growing Rolex price "bubble" will actually burst sometime in the near future, causing a sort of market correction that will spell a big loss for many of the newest owners out there?

Thanks ahead of time for your help in educating me, guys!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Rolex maintenance sometimes reminds me of Ferrari engine-out service.

When I say it reminds me, it's because I'll never experience either :)

Honestly though, $700-ish for service on what may easily be a $10k watch does not seem completely unreasonable (assuming you are not getting an overhaul).

It'll likely cost me a few hundred when it comes time to service my Seiko MM300, and that is significantly less expensive.
I think I paid $225 for my MM to be serviced.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Does anyone here have a fairly accurate insight in the Rolex maintenance procedure? Regular maintenance vs. a factory overhaul and the real costs involved? The only figure I have is from 2010: 560 Euro for service at an AD. Routine maintenance. There's at least one thing I agree upon: that 1 year factory warranty (two years at most Dutch AD's) is very meagre but fits the business model.
Unless you work directly at Rolex you aren't going to have a insight into anything. And then you might have to sign a disclosure agreement.

·
8,163 Posts
Unless you work directly at Rolex you aren't going to have a insight into anything. And then you might have to sign a disclosure agreement.
I have an inkling you don't like Rolex SA very much :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.