Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a few vintage Seiko watches, a King Seiko Classic 45, Lord Marvel 5740-0010, and a birth year 1965 Sportsman. I have also owned a few other Seikos over the years.

So, a few days ago, I grabbed THIS during Macy's sale.

The salesperson, grabbed a new one from the back, and it looked good to me, but when I got home I noticed that the chapter ring was off, and one of the indices was a little askew. I knew this was common, so it didn't bother me. Then I saw what looked like a nick on the side of the case, which turned out to be a manufacturing flaw, because you could see with a loop that it was polished around the edge, and had no sharp edges like a fresh nick. But whatever, it wasn't noticeable, unless it was in bright daylight. But what is really annoying is, +37 SPD...which I timed wearing the watch for 8 hours a day, and letting it sit face up when I wasn't wearing it.

I have a few other watches with NH35/36 movements, and none are greater than +15 SPD. In fact, if it had been close to +20 SPD, I'd be fine with it.

Anyhow, is this common? I plan to return it, but am worried, I'll get one that is similar.

·
Super Moderator
7,278 Posts
It can sometimes take a watch a day or so to "settle in" to running, especially if it has not run for some time.
However, your one appears to have a few other issues too - I'd return it for a replacement or refund

·
Watch Freek
1,332 Posts
I own a few vintage Seiko watches, a King Seiko Classic 45, Lord Marvel 5740-0010, and a birth year 1965 Sportsman. I have also owned a few other Seikos over the years.

So, a few days ago, I grabbed THIS during Macy's sale.

The salesperson, grabbed a new one from the back, and it looked good to me, but when I got home I noticed that the chapter ring was off, and one of the indices was a little askew. I knew this was common, so it didn't bother me. Then I saw what looked like a nick on the side of the case, which turned out to be a manufacturing flaw, because you could see with a loop that it was polished around the edge, and had no sharp edges like a fresh nick. But whatever, it wasn't noticeable, unless it was in bright daylight. But what is really annoying is, +37 SPD...which I timed wearing the watch for 8 hours a day, and letting it sit face up when I wasn't wearing it.

I have a few other watches with NH35/36 movements, and none are greater than +15 SPD. In fact, if it had been close to +20 SPD, I'd be fine with it.

Anyhow, is this common? I plan to return it, but am worried, I'll get one that is similar.
Typical Seiko, I sometimes wonder how they still exist. As it happens their customer service is pretty awful as well. If it were me I would just regulate the movement, it takes five minutes, However, even at your stated accuracy it is still within tolerance. Anyway, because of the other issues I would take it back to the retailer

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Typical Seiko, I sometimes wonder how they still exist. As it happens their customer service is pretty awful as well. If it were me I would just regulate the movement, it takes five minutes, However, even at your stated accuracy it is still within tolerance. Anyway, because of the other issues I would take it back to the retailer
I returned it....

I also pulled out an Invicta Pro Diver with a NH35 that I haven't touched in a few years, that I bought in 2015. Wound it, and wore it about 10 hours. +4 SPD.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I ordered another, but had it shipped from Macy's. It has the exact same issues with the chapter ring, indices etc. Even has one of the manufacturing "nicks" on the polished sides of the case. Looking at it with a loop, you can see it's been polished over, it's just too deep to completely disappear. Looks like the case gets dinged up in media polishing after machining, and the finishers just half ass it until it looks acceptable. At least this one is in the middle of spec, at +20 SPD.

This one will probably go back... I mean, I like the watch, and I am
trying to just accept that if you want a Seiko, you are more than likely going to get a poorly assembled watch. But, I just have a hard time paying for this level of lazy QC.

Watch Analog watch Clock Font Watch accessory

·
Super Moderator
20,186 Posts
That’s a shame what you have been going through Screwdriver. 😟

I really wasn’t able to give any insight with your original question
about the the NH35/36, but it’s definitely peculiar for the accuracy
to be off so much. And although the new one is a bit better, you
still have those issues with the quality, as well as those dings. It
has had to have been so upsetting because we can see that you
really do like the watch.

However, dealing with the same issues twice like this is maddening
right?! 😐 ..Want to thank you for sharing this whole ordeal with us !!!

Here’s hoping your next watch is a winner.😉🙂

·
Senior Freek
1,561 Posts
That accuracy is weird. But the chapter ring looks aligned correctly in the photo. The bezel is off, which is a known Seiko issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That accuracy is weird. But the chapter ring looks aligned correctly in the photo. The bezel is off, which is a known Seiko issue.
Looking at the dial at the angle in the photo, doesn't show how it does while flat. If you look flat at the dial, it is all off. Chapter ring doesn't line up with the indices, the bezel markers fall between them, and the 6'o'clock indicator is skewed. It just looks all wonky.

·
Senior Freek
1,561 Posts
Looking at the dial at the angle in the photo, doesn't show how it does while flat. If you look flat at the dial, it is all off. Chapter ring doesn't line up with the indices, the bezel markers fall between them, and the 6'o'clock indicator is skewed. It just looks all wonky.
You obviously know the watch better than me, because you have it and can view it from multiple angles. All I have to go on is one angle in the photo

Reactions: Screwdriver

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is my last update on this.

So, I have been wearing the watch daily for at least 8-10 hours after fully winding it last Tuesday. I wanted to test different resting positions at night to see if I can reduce the +20SPD. Wore it from 7AM, until 9PM on Sunday (14 hours), and when I checked it this morning, it was stopped at 4:24AM. Seriously? It winds, but it is completely stopped, and will not start.

·
Senior Freek
1,561 Posts
Return it

·
Senior Freek
1,561 Posts
yeah, this one sounds like a lost cause. which is sad, because Seiko's are usually better than this. I own 5 of them.

Reactions: Reflex

·
Super Moderator
20,186 Posts
Crazy stuff Screwdriver. 😯 You would swear that they just resent you
the same watch you originally had trouble with. 😬 I mean the issues
with the watch were exactly the same, and then ended up being even
worse at the end of it all. 😧 And as Gary said, Seikos are not like this,
or are much better than what you are experiencing. However, now you
are left with this bad taste in your mouth with the brand.

It’s really unfortunate, but I hope you can get this lemon returned as
soon as possible. So sorry about everything.

THX a ton for keeping us updated on the whole situation sir !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Crazy stuff Screwdriver. 😯 You would swear that they just resent you
the same watch you originally had trouble with. 😬 I mean the issues
with the watch were exactly the same, and then ended up being even
worse at the end of it all. 😧 And as Gary said, Seikos are not like this,
or are much better than what you are experiencing. However, now you
are left with this bad taste in your mouth with the brand.

It’s really unfortunate, but I hope you can get this lemon returned as
soon as possible. So sorry about everything.

THX a ton for keeping us updated on the whole situation sir !
Bought them from different Macy stores, online and a store....and the nicks were in different places.

Anyhow, I have had good luck with Seiko watches in the past, and this experience won't stop me from buying again, just not anytime soon.

·
Super Moderator
20,186 Posts
Bought them from different Macy stores, online and a store....and the nicks were in different places.

Anyhow, I have had good luck with Seiko watches in the past, and this experience won't stop me from buying again, just not anytime soon.

I’m glad it hasn’t soured you too much Screwdriver. (y)

A lot of people would have said, ‘that’s it I’m done.’ so I give you
credit for being so forgiving. 🙂🏆 Let’s hope Seiko maybe hears
from fans about these kinds of issues, or even sees the problems
themselves and remedies them. Because it seems like it has been
something that just started in recent years.

Before that Seiko was known for great quality at a great price. They
need to get back to that. ..Until then I hope you’re next watch from
the next brand you get hits on all cylinders. 😉

1 - 20 of 27 Posts