Watch Freeks banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Watch Freek
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's too easy to reach into your watch box and pull out your most expensive Swiss watch, but ask yourself, is it technically the best watch I have. I own some very fine Swiss timepieces made in Switzerland by manufacturers such as Chris Ward, Davosa, Tissot, Hamilton, and Glycine, but would I say are any of them technically my best watch. I would say that My Glycine Airman comes very, but doesn't take the prize. I have looked at things such as case finishing, overall design, lume, bezel (if applicable), crown and crown engagement, as well as the movement, bracelet, and clasp. At this point I must emphasize I don't have a watch I would consider totally faultless.

This may or may not surprize you, I believe my best watch is one made in China, and that's the Zelos Blacktip. The one I own has the crushed carbon dial with a crushed carbon bezel. The finishing is absolutely amazing, it's a fantastic looking diver with great dimensions, and the bezel is absolutely perfect. It lights up the room with it's long lasting lume, and it's Miyota 9015 movement runs almost like a quartz. I may have preferred an ETA 2824 or Sellita SW200, but the Miyota 9000 series really isn't that far behind. Both the bracelet and clasp are to die for, as they are not just finished to the highest standard, they are comfortable and very functional. It's my belief that the Chinese are more than capable of making truly great watches, and this watch proves it. I should point out that this watch costs little more than half of some of my others.

So what's yours?

Super Moderator
Man, this is an extremely tough question Wiggles. 馃槻馃樀

Mainly because I don't like to offend any of my watches if I choose
a favorite. 馃槉 Even if it's technically superior in one way, or most
ways. ..No, but seriously, I tend to always choose watches that I
really like. Although I guess not all of have the most impressive of
specifications, each one always seems like a best watch 'technically'. 馃檪

I just don't think I can choose one technically best watch sir. 馃槉

One day it might be an old hand winder that seems technically best...

Or something funkier another day...

Or more modern...

My apologies for not being to give a definitive answer Wiggles.
..Such a neat question though. Thanks so much for coming up
with it sir !!!

Watch Freek
It's too easy to reach into your watch box and pull out your most expensive Swiss watch, but ask yourself, is it technically the best watch I have. I own some very fine Swiss timepieces made in Switzerland by manufacturers such as Chris Ward, Davosa, Tissot, Hamilton, and Glycine, but would I say are any of them technically my best watch. I would say that My Glycine Airman comes very, but doesn't take the prize. I have looked at things such as case finishing, overall design, lume, bezel (if applicable), crown and crown engagement, as well as the movement, bracelet, and clasp. At this point I must emphasize I don't have a watch I would consider totally faultless.

This may or may not surprize you, I believe my best watch is one made in China, and that's the Zelos Blacktip. The one I own has the crushed carbon dial with a crushed carbon bezel. The finishing is absolutely amazing, it's a fantastic looking diver with great dimensions, and the bezel is absolutely perfect. It lights up the room with it's long lasting lume, and it's Miyota 9015 movement runs almost like a quartz. I may have preferred an ETA 2824 or Sellita SW200, but the Miyota 9000 series really isn't that far behind. Both the bracelet and clasp are to die for, as they are not just finished to the highest standard, they are comfortable and very functional. It's my belief that the Chinese are more than capable of making truly great watches, and this watch proves it. I should point out that this watch costs little more than half of some of my others.

So what's yours?

View attachment 136691 View attachment 136692 View attachment 136693
Technically my best watch is my Jaeger LeCoultre Hometime with dual hour hands complications. Where the secondary hour hand is hidden when not set to a alternate time zone. The secondary hour hand works in conjuction with the day night indicator and the primary hour hand works in conjuction with the date. The movement is nicely decorated and goes through JLC own rigorous 1000 hour certification.
IMG_20201010_111151.jpg
IMG_20201010_111311.jpg
IMG_20201010_111449.jpg
IMG_20201010_111535.jpg
IMG_20201010_111638.jpg
IMG_20201010_111645.jpg
IMG_20201010_111806.jpg
which is more rigorous then cosc certification.

So what's yours?

View attachment 136691 View attachment 136692 View attachment 136693
It's pretty dang amazing how just changing the angle transforms the piece's appearance. Looks like three different watches in that post LOL.

My Bulova Clipper very seldom gets worn because I rarely sport gold. However, I always notice while I'm pulling one of its neighbors out of the winder box that it kicks all their asses in terms of accuracy. I inevitably need to correct my selection by a few minutes but this dress watch just stares up at me longingly with its handsome dead-accurate face.

Long Time Member
My newest watch that is technically my best would probably be my Zodiac Calame, it鈥檚 20 years old.
DD 2025 26 jewels- Tricompax/Date Chrono Module added to the ETA 2824.
  • Base movement ETA 2824 25 jewels
  • Date at 12
  • 酶 30.0 mm - H 6.1 mm - a combined total of 51 Jewels (25 + 26) - 28800 A/h - Pwr Res. 36 h

Some vintage
My Vulcain Cricket alarm, look at that Guilloch茅 dial.

A Zitura compressor EPSA. The compressor case was patented by Ervin Piquerez.
This link explains the watch case in a way that is easy to understand and saves me from cutting and pasting the information.

My micro rotors. Universal calls it a microtor and Hamilton calls it a micro rotor. Buying a micro rotor today costs big bucks, but a vintage one can be had for a bargain.

The Hamilton has a linen dial, double score.

I鈥榤 not sure if this is considered technical, but in my mind it is. It is a reverso, most today are quartz and are thick because they may use two movements. This is an automatic for both sides, plus the mystery dial is on one side. Most automatics of a reverso today go for some bucks, but this vintage was fairly reasonable.

At the time this 1962 Grand Seiko was the bee鈥榮 knees. It was first produced in 1960 and there are three iterations of the dial, mine is a later one. The 3180 Grand Seiko was the first Chronometer grade watch manufactured in Japan. It was the first Japanese watch to pass the rating of the Bureaux Officiels de Contr么le de la Marche des Montres. This is when Seiko began competing with the Swiss watches in accuracy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts