Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Finally stepping out of the lo-def world! I told Big Rip this about a month ago. I've been doing some research.

I can get a Samsung LED-LCD 46" 120hz FOR $1300 right now. They generally start at $1900. This the ultra thin series. The question is, the led technology that much better than standard LCD or plasma? Is it worth the few hundred extra dollars, especially since it's on sale, to grab it versus a typical $1000 LCD or plasma T.V?
Everything is an upgrade to what I'm watching now, but if you were looking for the better picture, under $1500, what would you do?

No Rip...I'm NOT snagging that TV you tried to pimp me that cost as much as a Super Avenger! :)

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

BEDROOM OR LIVING ROOM

i would pick up a 720i LCD - i got one for my bedroom for about $600 about 6 mnths ago - 37" Sharp Aquos

i got a 52" Sharp Aquos 1080i in the living room about 3 yrs ago - they go for about $1500 now online NEW

make sure you DONT BUY RE-FURBISHED ANYTHING!!!

i wouldnt spend the money on led right now -its new -let it age some

also if you're into gaming PLASMA is no good i've heard - the only other choice

would be DLP - and i would only do this for the big one in a fairly sizable living room

good luck brotha!!

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
imported post

High tech?? You want high tech TK?? Just picked me up wanna these babies Bro!!! You can get it thru the old Sears & Roebuck Catalog. :%:%

Ok, ok. Juuuusssstttt KIIIIIIDDDIIIINNNNGGGG!!!!!

Wish I could help Bro, but I'm electronically challenged as you can easily tell!

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

Do not buy plasma...old technology and will wear out faster. LCD is OK but LED is the newest and best. The LED's last almost forever.

LED-backlit LCD TVs differ from conventional CCFL-backlit LCD TVs in the following:
  • They can produce an image with greater dynamic contrast compared with CCFL-backlit LCD TVs.[5]
  • With Edge-LED lighting they can be extremely slim. Current models on the market can be less than one inch thick.[5]
  • They can offer a wider color gamut, especially when RGB-LED backlighting is used.[5]
  • Lesser environmental pollution on disposal.[5]
  • Higher cost due to current market product placement.[5]
Recently, manufacturers have introduced a 240Hz specification on some LCD TVs - some of which use the LED backlight manipulation as a mechanism which will produce an "effective" 240Hz "appearance" and others which state a straight out true 240Hz refresh rate. Some manufacturers TV models may claim "240Hz performance" and others 240Hz refresh rate. From our recent experience, a higher Hz rate in the panel produces a picture with less motion artifacts during fast motion and side to side pannning. 120Hz has less motion artifacts, lag, and judder than 60Hz, and 240Hz has less of the same than 120Hz. It's a marginal, not revolutionary improvement. In the end, these new specifications in performance allow the LCD manufacturers to mark up the product more while providing a new feature which is there essentially to make up for a serious flaw with LCD technology. It's the newest and greatest feature to convince you to upgrade. But consider beforehand how much sports programming and gaming you view when considering whether the feature is worth extra - especially in light of the need to turn it off for a majority of viewed programming.

Despite the obvious difference in pixel count, 720p and 1080i both look great. In fact, unless you have a very large television and excellent source material, you'll have a hard time telling the difference between any of the HDTV resolutions. It's especially difficult to tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p sources. The difference between DVD and HDTV should be visible on most HDTVs, but especially on smaller sets, it's not nearly as drastic as the difference between standard TV and HDTV.

Basic Things You Need To Know On Picking A Good HDTV [*]As many HDMI ports as possible [*]Low response time (8 milli secs or below) [*]High contrast ratio [*]HD ready logo [*]High resolution [*]Buy a set from the best - Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Sharp and Philips

Things to Look Out For Good brands to buy from
If your totally stumped then you can't go far wrong if you buy from proven HDTV manufacturers.
Sony excel with LCD, Samsung excel with LCD and Plasma, Philips, Pansonic sharp offer first class Plasmas and good LCDs.
High contrast ratio
A high contrast ratio, for example 6000:1, ensures the better the images will appear against a darker background.
Low response time
8 milli seconds or under
A low response time ensures smooth, lifelike motion and reduces motion blur. This is especially good for gaming
Multiple connectivity
At least 1 HDMI port (2 or more is a bonus)
High Resolution
The higher the resolution the better picture and more detail.

Useful Info/terms Resolution
The display resolution refers to the number of pixels in that can be displayed. Put simply the number of columns and rows of pixels creating the display (e.g. 1366×768).
HDTV Resolutions
The higher the resolution the higher the detail.
[*]480p - 704x480 progressive scanning [*]720p - 1280x720 progressive scanning [*]1080i - 1920x1080 interlaced scanning [*]1080p - 1920x1080 progressive scanning Pixels
The small blocks that make up your picture. Each pixel will display a red, blue and green element to make up your image.
Line
A row of pixels
Scan
The difference in how HDTV’s display the individual lines.
[*]Interlaced Scanning
Shown by the letter "i" (1080i for example) allows a whole frame to be redrawn in a 30th of a second. [*]Progressive Scanning
Shown by the letter "p" (1080p for example), frame is redrawn in a 60th of a second producing a better picture Aspect Ratio
The ratio of the width of the screen against the height of the screen. HDTV’s are widescreen (16:9) and regular TV’s are 4:3.
HDMI
High-Definition Multimedia Interface is the future of connectivity for a lot of home entertainement gadgets.
One HDMI port is ok but it is wise to get two. If you want to hook up your PS3 via HDMI (for the best image) then three HDMI ports would be ideal.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

SNBC has been pimpin that 73" Mitsubishi DLP for under 1500. But I hear DLP bulbs are expensive if the go out.and it's about 17" thick. But that is an awesome TV my sister in law has it and it's like you're in a movie theatre.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

I have a DLP and you need to keep a spare bulb in the house at all times. The bulbs last about 2 years. The picture is great. They are thicker but that is only an issue if you want to hang them on the wall. I have a 52" and I love it.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

This one is going in the bedroom G.

Marc, as far as 720 and 1080, that's what I was told as well. You don't really notice the difference in the pic quality unless you're getting a larger set. I figured, for price that Best Buy has for the LED-LCD'S, it would benefit me to get that technology at $600 savings.

Good looking out Arnie. You may have to ship that bad boy out here so I can test drive it if I can't make up my mind!

Rip is trying to have me living in that damn Pioneer! That's exactly where I'll be if I thought about bringing that sucker home.

Looks like the Samsung 3D LED's are due out at the end of March. That's probably going in the family room.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

TK STATE OF THE ART IS THE 1080P. YOU PLAY YOUR BLURAY DVD`S ON HD. WHERE YOU ARE GOING TO VIEW YOUR TV SHOULD DETERMINES THE SISE OF THE SCREEN. YOU EYES SHOULD BE BACK TWO AND A HALF TIMES THE HEIGHT OF THE SCREEN. I HAVE A 65 INCH SCREEN SO HAVE A DLP AND SIT BACK 3 TIMES THE HEIGHT i HAVE A TOTAL HOME THEATER. LCD IS BETTER THEN PLASMA HOPE THIS HELPS A LITTLE.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

djpop wrote:
TK STATE OF THE ART IS THE 1080P. YOU PLAY YOUR BLURAY DVD`S ON HD. WHERE YOU ARE GOING TO VIEW YOUR TV SHOULD DETERMINES THE SISE OF THE SCREEN. YOU EYES SHOULD BE BACK TWO AND A HALF TIMES THE HEIGHT OF THE SCREEN. I HAVE A 65 INCH SCREEN SO HAVE A DLP AND SIT BACK 3 TIMES THE HEIGHT i HAVE A TOTAL HOME THEATER. LCD IS BETTER THEN PLASMA HOPE THIS HELPS A LITTLE.
That does help pop. I'm definitely leaning toward LCD anyway. I've heard so many things about the DLP bulbs having to be changed out, although it is a great picture. I guess every technology has it's bugs.
Looks like LED-LCD for moi!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

Spaceview wrote:
I have a DLP and you need to keep a spare bulb in the house at all times. The bulbs last about 2 years. The picture is great. They are thicker but that is only an issue if you want to hang them on the wall. I have a 52" and I love it.
I have a 65" Mitsubishi in the Living room, and the 2 year bulb replacement scenario that Marc mentioned is right on! Around $150 per bulb at a discount.

·
Long Time Member
8,308 Posts
imported post

No matter what you get, something better/bigger/cheaper will come out in six months.

Just get something you like that's looks good and is in your price range.

But whatever you do.

Once you get it DON"T LOOK BACK.

You'll drive yourself crazy second guessing.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

I agree TC. No looking back here. I'm going to need another one in my family room in a couple of months anyway. Whatever I may have missed on this go-round will be made up then.

3D-LED baby!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I think you should get this one Tuna

Sharp - LB-1085 - 108" LCD flat panel display - 1080p (FullHD)The LB1085 is the world’s largest LCD monitor.

With Full HD 1080p resolution, it produces a breathtaking picture quality in an incredible 108” Class (107-17/32" Diagonal).

The LB-1085 utilizes Sharp’s proprietary Advanced Super View/Black TFT Panel providing high Dynamic Contrast Ratio and fast response time.

The LB-1085 includes 3 HDMI™ inputs, a DVI-I input and 2 HD 1080p component video inputs (including one on the side) as well as RS-232C for control.

Features: Full HD 1080p (1920 x 1080) Resolution for the sharpest picture possible.

108" Class (107-17/32" Diagonal) ASV LCD Panel from Sharp’s Kameyama factory, producing high contrast ratio and fast response time.

Wide Viewing Angles (176°H x 176°W) Sharps LCD viewing angles are so wide, you can view the monitor clearly from practically anywhere in the room.

High Brightness Sharp LCDs are very bright.

You can put them virtually anywhere – even near windows, doors or other light sources – and the picture is still vivid.

Five 1080p Compatible Inputs including three HDMI™ inputs and two HD component inputs

The model LB-1085, a 108-inch class Full HD 1080p LCD monitor, features an advanced super view LCD panel that is manufactured at Sharp's Kameyama Plant No. 2, the first plant in the world to use 8th generation glass substrates.
The LB-1085 features 6.21 million pixels and a TFT active-matrix drive system. A fan-less design minimizes noise and intake of dust from outside air to further improve its level of technical sophistication as a commercial display

$148,995.00 with FREE Shipping

http://powersellernyc.com/product/view/Sharp-LB1085-108Inch-LCD-Monitor-1080p-10753-Inch-Viewable-22647.html

·
Registered
10,615 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

Cant go wrong with a led 3d tv tuna...I have a plasma 50 inch and a 40inch lcd both are samsung and they have an unbelievable picture. In my honest opinion the plasma blows the doors off of the lcd. As far as which one will last longer well you know how it goes...you get a few years if that and they are outdated anyway..so it will be time to upgrade. I had dlp and the tv blew out 3 times in a 1 year span...Go with your choice and you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
imported post

Spaceview wrote:
I also have a 52" Toshiba DLP-the bulb is $250 and you can replace it yourself

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

All I can tell you is what I know about mine.....

Toshiba 55SV670U 55" REGZA® 1080p LCD HDTV with LED backlighting and ClearScan 240™ anti-blur technology

We finallly got Best Buy to replace our 42" version...cause we started having problems again with it right after the Super Bowl. They brought it by the house a week and a half ago. The picture is even better than our old model...although it was 1080p also. But the LED Backlighting makes the color even more realistic. They upgraded us for a mere $800....and our original one cost $1200. So I feel we got a smoking deal....Amazon.com sells it fora little over $2500.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.