Watch Freeks banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago I wrote and told everyone about my mishap. I bought a couple of watches at a gun show last Sept. One was a beautiful mint Oris model 7533 also known as the Diver's Date. Great watch. Pretty, accurate, and extremely comfortable
Fast forward to the end of April. I was working a food show for 3 days. I wore my Aragon first day and then my Oris second day. Meanwhile I had gotten pretty sick with a nasty cold virus. Everyone at work had already succumbed and recovered. Anyway, what with the fever and the cold medicine I was not thinking straight. I remember using the bathroom and then I removed my watch to wash my hands. I rarely do this and when I do I put the time piece in my pocket. But not this time, I guess.
I drove home, sick as hell and went to bed....and did not venture out till the weekend. Sunday, I noticed I could not find my watch and looked in any normal place I might have put it. The winder, the bathroom drawer, the kitchen sink where I do the dishes, my vehicle. No luck
Hotel where the food show was held did not have it either. I was really put out and mad at myself. But I was sick and was not at my best. And cold medicine kicks my butt.
TODAY!!!!!! I was putting away some remodeling materials ( I have been doing some painting and floors). I noticed my old watch case (not the winder but an older one) was under a stack small trim pieces on the hutch. I don't remember my helper covering it up the week after I got sick but it s.hould have been no big deal because I don't keep watches in it anymore. long Short, for some reason, in my addled state, I must have taken the Oris off, put it in the old watch case, and then my remodel guy just started working in that room. Once I uncovered the watch case, I just looked in it for absolutely no reason. And there she was. My favorite watch, stopped but the date showed EXACTLY the day I lost it, which was the 25th.....today's date!!!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I did something like that, but I was not ill at the time.

I have a special ring that my grandmother purchased to commemorate my completion of professional school. I had her name transcribed on the inner side of the ring.

One day, while travelling from Florida to Pennsylvania via car, I felt a rather hard object in the back of my neck pillow. You know, the ones that are shaped like the letter "U". It just so happened that I remembered misplacing my ring a year or so earlier and I was reminded where I placed it. I have been looking for this ring for months until I finally gave up. When I reached inside the pillow, there it was! I then remembered why I placed it in there the first time. I was traveling on a plane and didn't want to place it in a bowl fearing someone might grab it. I placed it in the neck pillow and let it run through the X-Ray machine!

Boy was I happy to see it since it was a gift from my now deceased grandmother.

I'm happy for you and I know how you felt.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thats great! Like getting a gift and a new watch all in one.

One of the watches I will probably never part with.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
People are always talking about good divers under a thousand bucks. Or a good lower price alternative to a Seamaster. Or a good higher price alternative to a sumo. I think the divers date or TT1 is the real deal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
650 Posts
A couple of months ago I wrote and told everyone about my mishap. I bought a couple of watches at a gun show last Sept. One was a beautiful mint Oris model 7533 also known as the Diver's Date. Great watch. Pretty, accurate, and extremely comfortable
Fast forward to the end of April. I was working a food show for 3 days. I wore my Aragon first day and then my Oris second day. Meanwhile I had gotten pretty sick with a nasty cold virus. Everyone at work had already succumbed and recovered. Anyway, what with the fever and the cold medicine I was not thinking straight. I remember using the bathroom and then I removed my watch to wash my hands. I rarely do this and when I do I put the time piece in my pocket. But not this time, I guess.
I drove home, sick as hell and went to bed....and did not venture out till the weekend. Sunday, I noticed I could not find my watch and looked in any normal place I might have put it. The winder, the bathroom drawer, the kitchen sink where I do the dishes, my vehicle. No luck
Hotel where the food show was held did not have it either. I was really put out and mad at myself. But I was sick and was not at my best. And cold medicine kicks my butt.
TODAY!!!!!! I was putting away some remodeling materials ( I have been doing some painting and floors). I noticed my old watch case (not the winder but an older one) was under a stack small trim pieces on the hutch. I don't remember my helper covering it up the week after I got sick but it s.hould have been no big deal because I don't keep watches in it anymore. long Short, for some reason, in my addled state, I must have taken the Oris off, put it in the old watch case, and then my remodel guy just started working in that room. Once I uncovered the watch case, I just looked in it for absolutely no reason. And there she was. My favorite watch, stopped but the date showed EXACTLY the day I lost it, which was the 25th.....today's date!!!
KICK-ASS!!!! This is, without a doubt, my fave Oris model, and I'm glad you found it. This model is exactly the reason why I bought my Invicta 6925 Scooby last year. :D Congrats!

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
okc:
Thats a heckkuva tale. But good things happen to good WFs like you
So glad you got it back.
Just musing bout my watch keeping luck. Bought 1st watch, a WW2
A 11 when I was 13. Now I'm just S of 80 y o. By some strange stroke
of fate I've never lost a watch. WHYZZZAT? DAMIFINO!!!!

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
That's a great story with a happy ending! Glad you found it cuz mis-placing that baby is a good reason to get sick all over again!

Reactions: Roarry

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
What a GREAT ending to the story!

Also love the synchronicity of the date wheel and the date you found it again.

Did you pray to the patron saint of watch/clock makers or something??? :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts