Watch Freeks banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. So lately I've been in a funk, head's all over. Like in..I want a GMT, no I want a Worldtime, no wait I really need a black face dress watch with small seconds at the 6, then last night a beige faced Pulsar chrono caught my eye!
So, I've decided to not do ANYTHING for a couple of weeks to see if I can focus my thoughts and priorities.
I'm sure a lot of you have been in a similar mindset at some point, how did you deal with it?
Anyhow, I will still be watching what you are all up to!
Cheers all and have a great weekend. I understand that my American friends have some game or other going on this weekend, well I hope "your" team wins!
Derek

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
What you need to do, is exactly what you are doing. Sometimes you can get too caught up in "collecting". You need to learn to not buy everything, and focus on what you really like and really would like to have. And to also enjoy what you currently have. The reality is none of us can have every watch we want, and we all buy and collect different ways. But first things first...NO impulse buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
TC said it best. Take time off & renew your interest in what you have. Rediscover something you might not have worn in a bit. Works for me. I tell myself "you bought it because you liked it".

I'll admit, I do at times sucome to the "just by it" urge.

Wise to give yourself time (off)

Cheers!!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
NBZ man cave helps you see with your 3rd eye-

Dalai Llama sez; " you can't satisfy desire for material goods through acquisition; you can only stoke the flames "

-watches are an object addiction attaches to-

breathe in breathe out

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Yep, I can go months without the urge to buy a new watch, but once in a while a bunch just catch my eye at the same time and leave my head spinning. I usually just keep a list on my phone of anything that has caught my eye and every couple weeks go back to it and take things off or add others. The ones I usually go after are the ones that stay on the list for a long time.
Impulse buys are the worst, I've done two in the past couple months. Both nice pieces,but i am sure at some point both will leave my collection for something else.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Yep, I can go months without the urge to buy a new watch, but once in a while a bunch just catch my eye at the same time and leave my head spinning. I usually just keep a list on my phone of anything that has caught my eye and every couple weeks go back to it and take things off or add others. The ones I usually go after are the ones that stay on the list for a long time.
Impulse buys are the worst, I've done two in the past couple months. Both nice pieces,but i am sure at some point both will leave my collection for something else.

I do the same thing with the phone list....if it's not on the list, I'm not allowed to think about it, much less buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
My main reason for not buying all the watches I like is twofold. The first one is very plain, budget constraints. I'm in a good job, well paid but not stock market traders bonus territory. Not by a long shot. I just calculated that my current watch collection hovers around US$ 10,000. For just a simple hobby! To AP Royal Oak owners that may sound like peanuts but to me it's a heck of a lot of money. Selfish money. The second reason is more private. I don't want to tell too much about it but I accompany my wife to hospital every three weeks where she receives treatment and she deserves all the attention in the world. Carpe Diem so to speak.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Goodwatch,
Our best wishes to your good lady and yourself. Hope everything goes well.
Sometimes hobbies are just not that important . Interestingly though, I started collecting watches, learning to play guitar, qualifying as a dog behaviourist, and riding the wheels off my motorcycles all after my heart attack !
Best Wishes
Derek and Wife

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BrackY NO!
Which would I sell? My 009, never. My Chris W. Nope wife bought it. All the others are under $100! Lol
Cheers
D.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
My main reason for not buying all the watches I like is twofold. The first one is very plain, budget constraints. I'm in a good job, well paid but not stock market traders bonus territory. Not by a long shot. I just calculated that my current watch collection hovers around US$ 10,000. For just a simple hobby! To AP Royal Oak owners that may sound like peanuts but to me it's a heck of a lot of money. Selfish money. The second reason is more private. I don't want to tell too much about it but I accompany my wife to hospital every three weeks where she receives treatment and she deserves all the attention in the world. Carpe Diem so to speak.
GW, I wish nothing but a big blessing from the Almighty, to you both. Two very unselfish reasons you provided from a guy that seems to have aquired a fair amount of wisdom along life's way. Life for me is about relationships - period, whom ever that might be with. Stuff can be good & fun, but in the end, all of my accumulation of things, to me will be only junk. Someone else can be the caretaker of it, & hopefully enjoy it. IMO, your priorities are spot on. Good on ya brother.

End of "preaching" :)

Now back to this thread...
Roarry

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi guys. So lately I've been in a funk, head's all over. Like in..I want a GMT, no I want a Worldtime, no wait I really need a black face dress watch with small seconds at the 6, then last night a beige faced Pulsar chrono caught my eye!

So, I've decided to not do ANYTHING for a couple of weeks to see if I can focus my thoughts and priorities.

I'm sure a lot of you have been in a similar mindset at some point, how did you deal with it?

Anyhow, I will still be watching what you are all up to!

Cheers all and have a great weekend. I understand that my American friends have some game or other going on this weekend, well I hope "your" team wins!

Derek

You are wise.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
Derek - sometimes I've found myself so involved with "the hunt" (searching daily for weeks, finding that perfect watch at a perfect price), that somehow "the kill" is not quite as enjoyable when I pull the trigger to purchase and the watch comes in. Personally, I am going to step back myself and assess my collection. I have 5 pieces on pre-orders, and that will be all for me in 2016. I want to enjoy and re-connect with my collection, see which watches are not getting the proper wrist time, then sell those to build up my watch fund. And then have much greater clarity in terms of which direction I want my collection to go in the future.

Good luck to you as you take a time out to focus on the direction of your collection!

-Rob

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
if I find myself revisiting a certain model or style then I know I am on to something. FOr a watch that process usually takes a couple of months. Ive been looking at some dress watches. Ive looked at others but I keep coming back to the dress watch. Ive been at this for about 6 months. Getting ready to pull the trigger in the next 2 months. Either an Orient Star or a SARB. Looking for that classic look. Id love a Grand Seiko but aint going to happen. Too many projects. Have too keep my eye on the ball.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Lots of good advice in the previous posts. Stepping back for a while can be very positive. It's a chance to enjoy and appreciate the watches you already have, evaluate what you might like to add to your collection without impulse buying, and make sure your priorities (both in watch collecting and in life) are in good order.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts