Watch Freeks banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sent my Carrera Chronograph to Tag Heuer USA for a "tune-up" after about 6 years in use. No real problems with the watch, just running a tad fast. Decided to spend the extra to send it to the company rather than one of the other, less expensive options, hoping for the best. Wanted to play it safe.

Two weeks later the repair estimate came. In addition to the tune-up, they said it required the lower (reset) button for the chronograph. I didn't think it needed a new one, was busy and anxious to get it back, so I gave the OK for the $75 additional charge. I didn't read the repair order carefully, I readily admit.

When my watch came back I noticed a big scratch in the area of the replaced button. Now things started to click. I carefully read the repair order and noticed that it said the button was missing when they got it. Sorry, that is not possible. My suspicion is that probably someone in receiving used a mat knife to cut my watch out of the carefully taped ball of bubble wrap in which it was shipped. (Watches are not unpacked by the repair technician, I later learned.) I called Tag Heuer and was told that since I had OK'd the repair, I had no real complaint. It must have come to them that way. I had no recourse as far as they were concerned. I told them that even if I had complained when I first got the repair estimate, they still would have said it came that way out of the box to them. They had my watch and what could I say?! They agreed it would have ended up the same. They credited me $25, which I did not ask for and it is a near meaningless gesture.

Beware of Tag Heuer USA repair. I will go elsewhere in the future without a doubt. Someone there damaged my watch and all I have to show for it is the scratches and $500 less in my bank account. They clearly do not take the care that should be given to a $3,000 watch.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Ugh, sounds like a nightmare. Sorry you went through this.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Sorry to hear of your experience. Welcome however to the Freek house.

Why not introduce yourself in the introduce yourself section and we'll see what we can do to cheer you up.
I look forward to seeing pics of your watch/watches

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Ouch, that is horrible. Normally, that is the best way to repair a high end watch. Sorry to hear that your experience was bad. I don't know if you could have done anything else to protect yourself in this situation. I do like to take a picture of any watch I send out with a date and time stamp. I've never used it but I think it is a good thing to have.

Reactions: PsiFox

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sad story, I work on alot of pocket watches, and really unless the watch is having serious issues. like non functioning features or it runs 15-30Sec fast/slow a day. I dont think I will have anyone touch the watch. I open pocket watches that are over 30-40 years old and with just a simple oil job they are running great again. My beater watches are about 300-500 dollars , so if in 10 years they fail. I am not sure its worth a 200-300 dollar overall. I know some are lucky to have a good watchmaker near them and can get personal service but I want my heirloom destroyed if I can help it. even later on . your kids could just display the beauty if it didnt work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts