Watch Freeks banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Tag Heuer 01 Carrera calibre (skeleton)

I have had this watch for a month now and its running 10-12 seconds slow in 24h. Not sure if I should be concerned and send it to be checked by Tag Heuer international warranty. I have had 4-5 seconds fast or slow on other watches and was told that is normal on automatic and mechanical watches.
I have heard that if watch gets magnetised it may loose performance, did anyone demagnetized their watch and what's the result?. (cheap demagnetizer are sold on ebay)
Any input or comments much appriciated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
677 Posts
Magnetism will cause a watch to run fast not slow, so I don't think that's the issue... if there is an issue. I don't know Tags acceptable accuracy range on that watch but it may actually be running within spec. If so, they may not do much for you even under warranty.

A month is also not a huge amount of time for a watch to "settle in." I'd give it some more time to settle down and check the stated accuracy for the movement. If it's running out of spec after a few months contact Tag.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Magnetism will cause a watch to run fast not slow, so I don't think that's the issue... if there is an issue. I don't know Tags acceptable accuracy range on that watch but it may actually be running within spec. If so, they may not do much for you even under warranty.

A month is also not a huge amount of time for a watch to "settle in." I'd give it some more time to settle down and check the stated accuracy for the movement. If it's running out of spec after a few months contact Tag.
Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Question: would it make any difference if I have chrono running all the time?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Question: would it make any difference if I have chrono running all the time?
I had a Tudor Fastrider Blackshield which kept great time (+1 to 2 sec/day) but with the chrono running slowed considerably (-6 sec/day).

I'm not familiar with your watch but I suspect your timekeeping experience is probably still within spec (unless it's a chronometer). Still, if you purchased it from a dealer that has a watchmaker, it shouldn't be a big deal for them to check it out. If all is well with the movement and you don't like the timekeeping performance, I suspect they could regulate the movement to more your preference, too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a Tudor Fastrider Blackshield which kept great time (+1 to 2 sec/day) but with the chrono running slowed considerably (-6 sec/day).

I'm not familiar with your watch but I suspect your timekeeping experience is probably still within spec (unless it's a chronometer). Still, if you purchased it from a dealer that has a watchmaker, it shouldn't be a big deal for them to check it out. If all is well with the movement and you don't like the timekeeping performance, I suspect they could regulate the movement to more your preference, too.
thanks for your input.
Yes its a skeleton chronometer watch and I have been running the chrono during the day mostly because I like to see everything move. I will do more test in 48h and report back.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I am with Priapism on this one the movement is still fairly new and needs more time to settle. Not a good idea to keep the chronograph running all the time.
Chronometers should run anywhere between - 4 and +6 in a 24 hour period.
Give it at least another month or so to settle.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Have you been using the chronograph constantly? Because in my opinion a chronometer should run better than your timings out of the box.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am with Priapism on this one the movement is still fairly new and needs more time to settle. Not a good idea to keep the chronograph running all the time.
Chronometers should run anywhere between - 4 and +6 in a 24 hour period.
Give it at least another month or so to settle.

Thanks for adivse, I will wait for another month before I contact TG.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you been using the chronograph constantly? Because in my opinion a chronometer should run better than your timings out of the box.

Thanks for your input.
I tend to have it on during the day as I like to see it all move and reset it by night time until next morning. I will stop to use it and see what's the result.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Also, I was under the impression that when new watch movements "settle", they tend to slow down (not speed up).
I don't think I've heard anything either way.

For me settling down is more about rate consistency. Watches will speed up and slow down depending on how and where they're used. The speed fluctuates more when new. In my mind giving it more time to settle will give a better sense of how the movement is really running before worrying about whether it's meeting spec.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure if I should start another topic. I would like to know how often do you need to wind up a automatic watch and what are the consequences if you wind up at once or twice a week. cheers...

·
Registered
677 Posts
Not sure if I should start another topic. I would like to know how often do you need to wind up a automatic watch and what are the consequences if you wind up at once or twice a week. cheers...
If you wear it daily and are reasonably active you probably won't have to manually wind it at all.

If you do need/want to wind it there are no concerns. There's a clutch type mechanism inside an automatic watch that prevents the spring from being overwound, so you can't actually do any damage by winding it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you wear it daily and are reasonably active you probably won't have to manually wind it at all.

If you do need/want to wind it there are no concerns. There's a clutch type mechanism inside an automatic watch that prevents the spring from being overwound, so you can't actually do any damage by winding it.
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I have tested accuracy in last 24h:

12h without Chrono -5 seconds = -10 sec. a day
12h with Chrono on -6 seconds = -12 sec. a day

Running Chrono at all time in 24h will slow down my watch extra 2 seconds per day.

I spoke to Tag Heuer today and decided to take the watch to be diagnosed by one of the senior watchmaker and corrected.
Great service from T.H., they are sending a shipping kit containing secure packaging and all prepaid Special Deliver bag. thumbs up

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a Tag Calibre Heuer 01 Chronograph on 02/06/2020 and it loses 1 minute a day. I will let it run for a couple of months and then consider sending it to Tag if it is still the same. I purchased a Rolex Submariner in 1973 (CDN $335.00) and after 20 years of continuous use it performed better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts