Watch Freeks banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Watch Freek
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Interesting article. I think the only digital quartz watch I've had in the past couple of decades was one I got at the $1 Store.

·
Super Moderator
14,317 Posts
It really was interesting True, and you have to wonder just how
many people feel the same. It could be an omen for what just
might be the beginning of another quartz/digital revolution, or
something. 😮 I mean we all know that at least the digital part
of it has been going on for the longest time now. With people
telling time on everything from phones, and cable boxes, to
digital clocks, and smart watches. So it’s already happening.

But hopefully there will always be room for mechanical fans. :)

Really interesting article sir, thanks a ton for finding it for us !!!

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
I 'get' most all of what he has to say and have had the same thoughts. I ventured part of the way with a Tissot Expert Solar II. I like all the digital functions but the workings of an automatic watch will always be my fascination I believe.
Thanks for sharing the article; lots I could relate to.

·
Super Moderator
1,338 Posts
I own an analog G-Shock for when wearing mechanical watch is out of the question (the gym, doing any sort of action sports etc).

Other than that, it sits on my desk most days.

·
Watch Freek
374 Posts
Interesting article for sure. I like the G-Shocks and the Glocks and appreciate them just like the Toyota's of the world. :)

The only thing the G-shock can't protect against is a broken band; of which I can attest to loosing a favorite G-shock some years ago.

BTW: I love the automatics at present and haven't had a G-shock for a number of years now.

·
Watch Freek
499 Posts
Obviously the author is a totally different flavor of watch freek than I am (and probably many of you). Of course I prize accuracy in my timepieces, but the real baseline joy in that, for me, is knowing it’s a culmination of centuries of mechanical engineering at work encased upon my wrist. Add the design elements interplay of the case, dial, hands and you have functional art. It’s ok if it’s running a couple seconds off. To me, there’s no art in a perfectly precise digital display, only function. For gardening, cleaning the motorcycle, or shaking an ice-cold martini, I’ve a couple analog quartz as the beaters. My last digital watch I believe was a Casio calculator model in high school and I expect that to suffice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts