Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So hopefully I'm not starting off on the wrong foot here by stepping on someone's toes too much... I have seen several SL watches that seem like they would be kinda cool and I'm SPECIFICALLY trying to get a reasonably-priced CL-888 swiss auto into the collection (which they use a LOT), but the name SWISS LEGEND is a turn off to me...

I know, that's weird, but is anyone else just unable to get past the name SWISS LEGEND? It just sounds cheesy to me, and it's too bad because every once in a while there's a pretty nice SL auto at an outstanding price, usually with a winder...

And I really like Lior and the way he handles CS... I'm just weird, I suppose.

David

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

argabright wrote:
So hopefully I'm not starting off on the wrong foot here by stepping on someone's toes too much... I have seen several SL watches that seem like they would be kinda cool and I'm SPECIFICALLY trying to get a reasonably-priced CL-888 swiss auto into the collection (which they use a LOT), but the name SWISS LEGEND is a turn off to me...

I know, that's weird, but is anyone else just unable to get past the name SWISS LEGEND? It just sounds cheesy to me, and it's too bad because every once in a while there's a pretty nice SL auto at an outstanding price, usually with a winder...

David
I'm right there with you. I'm not a fan of Swiss Legend. I can't say that I hate them b/c I've never owned one of them, but to me they just make ugly watches. I also would like to pick up the CL888 movement, but I haven't seen one Swiss Legend that sings to me.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

argabright wrote:

David
Just think of Cheese!!! Swiss Cheese Legend ,I love Swiss Cheese But I tried a couple of there watches and I have nothing nice too say about them so I wont say anything at all........oh wait I just did! Wow I have no idea what I just typed that was Stupid!!!WOW

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

I'm the same way about some stuff; weird name, logo, etc. becomes a little bit of a turn off. But I can say that I have 2 Swiss Legends (1000 meter Diver and Auto Commander) and they both have the CL movement. Tough as nails and accurate so far. Maybe if you give one a try the overall impression will overwhelm your feelings about the name??

CJ

argabright wrote:

David

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

What I *might* do, would be buy one as a mod project, change up the dial and case enough to make it "different" (removing the name (crazy, I know), bead-blasting the case, etc.

I like the overall look of the big 1000M diver especially, but real legends don't refer to themselves as such, LOL. Besides, I think they are swiss MOVEMENT, right? Not Swiss made...

Or maybe it would just be easier to get a ZODIAC. I don't have a problem with that name.

David

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

argabright wrote:
What I *might* do, would be buy one as a mod project, change up the dial and case enough to make it "different" (removing the name (crazy, I know), bead-blasting the case, etc.

I like the overall look of the big 1000M diver especially, but real legends don't refer to themselves as such, LOL. Besides, I think they are swiss MOVEMENT, right? Not Swiss made...

Or maybe it would just be easier to get a ZODIAC. I don't have a problem with that name.

David
Actually that's not a bad idea.

·
Registered
154 Posts
imported post

i picked up the president's metorite ltd edition (100 made) last month. thought i was one of the lucky viewers who paid $499.99 for it. well when it arrived 15 days later i must say the winder was great looking however the watch strap (alligator hand made) looked like it had measles! bumps by the hundreds!! also the cl888 movement made a grinding sound when you wound the watch (shook it). i did my homework and found that the cl888 mov't can be bought for $30.00. also swi uses it in watches that they sell for the $100 range. now why would you put such an inexpensive mov't in your president's 100 piece ltd. edition watch? let me guess, to make a big profit??also the dial had no fire or anything to show off. so i packed itd bags and sent it on vacation to sunny fla. where it came from. well last week i saw it on nbc as having 26 pcs. for sale after they were sold out last month so that means that 26% of them were returned to lior at s.w.i... guess some folks know their watches..well im done with the brand thats for sure. also after they signed for the return it took 13 days for them to let nbc credit my account. nice quality and service yeah right..

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

I'm right there with you on the name too. Their watches don't do alot for me either. I do have an original Commander that I like but with my other watches, it gets no wrist time. I like the CL888 movement too and I got one in my Jacques Lemans Geneve Collection Diver. Got it for a mere $299, which I thought was a decent deal and I LOVE this watch! Give it a look:

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I recall hearing the name for the first time and my thoughts were "what a hokey name, and I bet the watches are garbage." Somehow I got over this misperception and bias and I now own several Swiss Legend watches. They are good quality and great value. I've not had any issues yet.

I'm not a fan of quartz movements, so it was nice to be able to get an automatic at a reasonable price.

2 of my 3 CL-888 movements run within COSC specs.

Unless you've owned one, you won't know. I have 4 Swiss Legend watches (I've had as many as 6) and don't regret buying any of them! :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
imported post

Seattle wrote:
I'm the same way about some stuff; weird name, logo, etc. becomes a little bit of a turn off. But I can say that I have 2 Swiss Legends (1000 meter Diver and Auto Commander) and they both have the CL movement. Tough as nails and accurate so far. Maybe if you give one a try the overall impression will overwhelm your feelings about the name??

CJ

argabright wrote:

David
The 1000M diver (Atlantis), which is the only one produced by SL is powered by an eta 2824, not a CL-888. I have all six available colors and love em. Have 7 swiss legends with the Cl-888 and have had zero problems. Also have a JL geneve diver with the CL-888 and again, no problems what-so-ever.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Good catch RLF, I completely forgot that the 1000M was an ETA2824....DOH! Now I like it even more:q

RLFierro wrote:
Seattle wrote:

CJ

argabright wrote:

David
The 1000M diver (Atlantis), which is the only one produced by SL is powered by an eta 2824, not a CL-888. I have all six available colors and love em. Have 7 swiss legends with the Cl-888 and have had zero problems. Also have a JL geneve diver with the CL-888 and again, no problems what-so-ever.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

I am not turned off by the name alone on any watch, unless it was like Barbi or My Little Pony! LOL

I think every watch manufacturer out here has both beautiful and ugly watches.

Beauty is totally in the eye of the beholder and is a totally personal perspective.

Perhaps instead of buying a SL then you should go for one of the high end SWIs.

Swiss Watch Internationl, that name sound pretty cool and they have some really beautiful watches.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

I'm not a big fan of SWI either. Nothing of theirs has really appealed to me either. I'm not saying it's a bad brand. For me personally I just think their watches are boring.

·
Registered
119 Posts
imported post

I have about 8 Swiss Legends.

Love em all.

I do not think much about names when it comes

to watches....how about "FOSSIL" ?

You don't like the name???

Don't buy it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
imported post

I have two Swiss Legends now after gifting the other one or two. The name has been a topic of conversation on many fora.

This is one of the better ones they did, but it is older. The movement is great and it doesn't look like they are going to be putting any ETA movements in the line anymore with all the CL-888s they have been using.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

I've never had a problem with the name of the watch, I just don't like the look of most of their newer designs. It's a personal reason that's all. They just don't sing to me.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
imported post

I have a few Swiss Legends. Heck I have a little of everything. The name is no big deal. My Commander Auto has the CL-888 and works fine.

If you don't like the brand but want a CL-888 I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that the Zodiac Oceanaire uses this movement.

·
Registered
72 Posts
imported post

Had a SL for a matter of hours that was an OTV and looked cool on tv. Biggest piece of junk watch i ever bought, felt like it was about to fall apart, it went back to the shop the next morning.

I think if you have to go through THAT much trouble to change what you're buying, you shouldn't be buying it. I can understand changing straps, maybe bezels, maybe sandblasting, etc.; but i don't think any watch is worth buying at all if you're planning major surgery from the get-go. Just my opinion...

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Main Site - http://www.swisslegend.com/

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/RsPgUxt0-e0&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Swiss Legend Atlantis 1000m Diver Collection Watch o Model SL-30015-33 / 30015-33 * Automatic movement o Caliber ETA 2824 o Swiss made * Stainless steel case o 50mm Diameter o About 11mm thick * Stainless steel bracelet o Fits up to7.5" o Diver's extension * Sapphire crystal * Dark blue dial o Date window between 3:00 and 5:00 * Water resistant up to 1000m o Screw-down crown

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/4UiDh93cXwM&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Swiss Legend Endeavor Collection Automatic Black Rubber Watch o Model: SL-60002-03 * Self-winding automatic movement o Swiss made o Caliber CL-888 * Stainless steel case o Surgical grade 316L o 48mm Diameter * Heavy duty rubber strap o 24mm Width * Sapphire crystal * Water resistant up to 50m

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/LImdpmuAzAI&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

# Swiss Legend Tungsten chronograph watch * Model T8010-66
# Quartz chronograph movement * Caliber ETA G10.211 * Swiss made
# Tungsten case * 45mm Diameter * Scratch-resistant
# Tungsten bracelet * 22mm Width
# Sapphire crystal * Scratch-resistant
# Water resistant up to 100m * Screw-down crown

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
imported post

Well, I for one have a freegin boatload of Swiss Legends. Just a matter of taste as I love'em all. I also believe that they offer some serious bang for the buck as well. I picked up my Atlantis for only $300 and it is still my favorite of all of my SL's. I have only had a problem with but one and Lior handled it personally for me. Talk about c/s. As a watch company that produces affordable, dependable timepieces, I have only good things to say about their products and the styling that goes into quite a few. Of course being the auto snob that I am at this point, I only grab their three handers, but that's just me. To all of you that don't find this brand attractive, economically enticing or ya just don't like'em for whatever reasons .................... it is my lowly opinion that you are missing out on some great deals on some nice, affordable timepieces.They may not all fall in that catagory, but quite a number of them do. JMHO.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts