Watch Freeks banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am curious what people think of these? I saw them for the first time in Switzerland last month and was a bit intrigued. 90 hour power reserve and $150. A couple of the designs are pretty clean and on a leather band. I very nearly bought one just out of curiosity. I wonder when Swatch will start putting this movement into a steel case. That's really the only thing that stopped me from picking one up - the plastic case. I apologize if this has been discussed but didn't see any hits in the search.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I've heard mixed reviews and reactions about it.
You can't fix it, so it's a throwaway, I don't like the proprietary lugs, hard to change to a different style strap if you want.
Even at $150, I'm personally not going to waste my money on one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good points. Lugs don't matter so much to me though - I'm an Oris fan. I just think it would be a neat, quirky watch to throw on sometimes. Put it in a steel case and you just swap the movement of it fails. Still cheaper than an Omega factory service I bet...

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had one gifted from a WIS friend who is Swiss and bought it for me in Geneva. It was either the 51 or an Omega Speedie, the 51 won lol.
It's just a cool silly watch. I'll post a pic when I get to my main computer..although I think I already showed it here. Maybe not.
Cheers
D.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had one gifted from a WIS friend who is Swiss and bought it for me in Geneva. It was either the 51 or an Omega Speedie, the 51 won lol.
It's just a cool silly watch. I'll post a pic when I get to my main computer..although I think I already showed it here. Maybe not.
Cheers
D.
You totally made the right choice. The Speedmaster is total garbage... v

·
Registered
288 Posts
Oh, I wasn't involved in the decision making. That was my friends choice. He did say that it was No Contest though! Lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:smile-thumb:
Oh, I wasn't involved in the decision making. That was my friends choice. He did say that it was No Contest though! Lol

·
Registered
288 Posts
as promised here are a few shots. The dots on the dial show the placing for the jewels or screws or some such nonsense!
It's light, it's fun, it's mechanically interesting..but it's not cheap.
I would like them to do a more "serious" version in S.S. oh and with proper lugs please. Although there are after market straps available on Amazon. Oh, and it's a sealed case and the watch comes with a 2 year warranty

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
So, I am curious what people think of these? I saw them for the first time in Switzerland last month and was a bit intrigued. 90 hour power reserve and $150. A couple of the designs are pretty clean and on a leather band. I very nearly bought one just out of curiosity. I wonder when Swatch will start putting this movement into a steel case. That's really the only thing that stopped me from picking one up - the plastic case. I apologize if this has been discussed but didn't see any hits in the search.
I own one just to have.

Its hermetically sealed supposedly to prolong the life of the movement. Therefore I don't think stainless steel case is in the cards. If it were, Swatch Group would probably lend the design to its many subsidiaries.

I also think people over value the ability to 'fix' a watch. If built as advertised, Sistem51 shouldn't have any problems for many years (5+).

Its quirky and fun but definitely not timeless. If the movement ends up being as good as advertised, in 20 years or so after the patent runs out on, the design could will be massively cloned (think ETA 2824). Therefore anyway you look at it, in its current iteration, its a throw away.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The are as low as $101 from amazon. I remember wanting a Swatch very badly when I was a youngster. All of the cool kids had them. Remember the rubber band crystal protectors?

·
Registered
389 Posts
One guy bought one, tested it, and took it apart. Balance wheel and fork are plastic. Not able to adjust it, but his was way fast. The pin holds the rotor, but the rest is soldered together, thus the "single bolt" phrase. But worth the $150 IMHO. I'll take my Seiko 5s (which both so come out cheaper) or a cheap Chinese auto (I can get 20 of them).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry. Supposed to say "not worth the $150"
I was kind of of the same thought. I only considered it for the uniqueness of it. I'd personally much prefer a Seiko 5. I think it's more about the Swatch name. I don't see how they justify a $150 msrp for a plastic watch...

·
Registered
288 Posts
I still say that getting mine gifted was better than getting a postcard!
My buddy bought two, one white face and one black, as you see I chose the white (better readability for my old eyes.)
So he has the black and wears it when he doesn't want to beat up his vintage Speedy.
The other thing is that they have their warranty stamped by "Swatch, Geneva"! Now, really, isn't that cool!
Cheers all.
D.

Reactions: jharvey

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts
Why buy one these when you could purchase a "Real" watch, a Seiko 5 for a few shekels more?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts