Watch Freeks banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have stopped watching most of the news, it has become depressing. I’m not denying reality but I don’t need a constant stream of negativity in my life. I’ve started the redecoration of my living room by creating an instant point of no return by ripping off parts of the wallpaper. I’ve bought all the paint a week ago and boy has that become expensive! I can only do painting in weekends as there’s still natural light so I’ve started with filling and sanding and removing things like cable ducts, windowsills and skirting boards. Now my living room is a mess and it will stay that way for weeks. The only thing I will have done and not do myself is having the walls done by a professional. Glass fibre (one meter wide) wall covering with a base coat. The top coat I’ll do myself. They will be done within a couple of hours, it will take me a full day and I’m not a genius at it.

Those who have been occasionally reading my posts must be thinking by now that besides watches I have been purchasing a lot of stuff. You are correct and that is because I’m compensating for the things I missed in my youth. My parents weren’t poor but they never had money as well so only the bare essentials were bought. And now I’m catching up. In the 60s and 70s we had a lot of toy fads but my brother and myself were mostly left out because there was no money to buy those thing. Or we were given cheap and very obvious imitations of those toys. I’m not complaining though, it was how it was.

But I’ve nothing to complain about really. Watches, retro gaming consoles, books, 70s chemistry sets, a Master Mind set and all that other stuff is nice but doesn’t mean a lot when you compare it to some of the hardships people have to go through.

It’s almost a year now since my dear Anne, the love of my life, passed away and I have taken that day (3 November) off to visit her grave and just spend the day in remembrance of her and our life together. As always I will put a fresh flower on the stone and take a picture to send to her father and brothers and sisters. What I dearly miss is her spontaneity as she used to text or app me in the afternoon while I was still at work, asking me if I wanted to go on a ‘date’. After work I would go straight to the café or bar where she was already waiting for me to have some drinks and have a good time. I’m fighting back my tears as I write this. She was a great gal.

I want to cut back on my watch purchases but I hope I can pull that off. There’s still a seemingly never ending stream of watches coming out. There’s a CREPAS (the Megamatic) I almost pulled the trigger on but I refrained from that as the new furniture, lamps and other stuff for the living room will set me back a pretty penny. First things first. As I mentioned before I want to concentrate on re-editions from now on like the Hamilton I just bought. That will automatically slow me down.

Have a nice evening all!

·
3,106 Posts
Hard to believe it's been nearly a year, Frans.

Have to agree with you on the news, it is all bad. Of course being in the midst of a presidential election here, one has to pay more attention than usual over here.

I say dive into your hobbies and home improvement, whole-hog! It's a great distraction and you end up with a better place to live to boot.

·
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to believe it's been nearly a year, Frans.

Have to agree with you on the news, it is all bad. Of course being in the midst of a presidential election here, one has to pay more attention than usual over here.

I say dive into your hobbies and home improvement, whole-hog! It's a great distraction and you end up with a better place to live to boot.
Thank you my friend.

·
Super Moderator
15,617 Posts
Totally can’t believe it’s been a year either Frans since
Anne’s passing. What’s wonderful though is hearing
you talk about her, and post about her like this. It just
is the best to see, and is the most heart warming to
hear. Because you can really feel the love you have
for her, and she for you. It’s the most incredible of
tributes.

Oh, and I would imagine she is loving you doing the
redecorating like that ! You can imagine she is beyond
happy, as well as enjoying every little change you are
making, or thing you are doing. From the color of the
paint, to the ideas, and what you have planned. In a
way, it’s all like a tribute as well. Very very nice.

Honestly, think even the interest you have in all of your
hobbies pays tribute, and honors her, and even your
parents. Seriously, just the way you go about things
is remarkable, and just plain cool to experience from
afar. I hope you keep it up forever, and really can enjoy
life, your family, friends, and all those fantastic hobbies.

By the way, love that you are not watching too much
news. It ‘s great not watching, because right away, you
feel more happy, and positive. Which is how Anne is
wanting you to be I bet right?!

Really hope you have nice evening as well Frans. Can’t
thank you enough for sharing this excellent post with us !

·
Long Time Member
750 Posts
My belated condolences. I lost my wife 14 years ago last month. Every year I have a bridge lit up to remember her, green for her eyes and yellow for the sunshine she brought into the lives of those she touched.

^^^^^^^^^

The love of my life

·
Watch Freek
1,154 Posts
I have stopped watching most of the news, it has become depressing. I’m not denying reality but I don’t need a constant stream of negativity in my life. I’ve started the redecoration of my living room by creating an instant point of no return by ripping off parts of the wallpaper. I’ve bought all the paint a week ago and boy has that become expensive! I can only do painting in weekends as there’s still natural light so I’ve started with filling and sanding and removing things like cable ducts, windowsills and skirting boards. Now my living room is a mess and it will stay that way for weeks. The only thing I will have done and not do myself is having the walls done by a professional. Glass fibre (one meter wide) wall covering with a base coat. The top coat I’ll do myself. They will be done within a couple of hours, it will take me a full day and I’m not a genius at it.

Those who have been occasionally reading my posts must be thinking by now that besides watches I have been purchasing a lot of stuff. You are correct and that is because I’m compensating for the things I missed in my youth. My parents weren’t poor but they never had money as well so only the bare essentials were bought. And now I’m catching up. In the 60s and 70s we had a lot of toy fads but my brother and myself were mostly left out because there was no money to buy those thing. Or we were given cheap and very obvious imitations of those toys. I’m not complaining though, it was how it was.

But I’ve nothing to complain about really. Watches, retro gaming consoles, books, 70s chemistry sets, a Master Mind set and all that other stuff is nice but doesn’t mean a lot when you compare it to some of the hardships people have to go through.

It’s almost a year now since my dear Anne, the love of my life, passed away and I have taken that day (3 November) off to visit her grave and just spend the day in remembrance of her and our life together. As always I will put a fresh flower on the stone and take a picture to send to her father and brothers and sisters. What I dearly miss is her spontaneity as she used to text or app me in the afternoon while I was still at work, asking me if I wanted to go on a ‘date’. After work I would go straight to the café or bar where she was already waiting for me to have some drinks and have a good time. I’m fighting back my tears as I write this. She was a great gal.

I want to cut back on my watch purchases but I hope I can pull that off. There’s still a seemingly never ending stream of watches coming out. There’s a CREPAS (the Megamatic) I almost pulled the trigger on but I refrained from that as the new furniture, lamps and other stuff for the living room will set me back a pretty penny. First things first. As I mentioned before I want to concentrate on re-editions from now on like the Hamilton I just bought. That will automatically slow me down.

Have a nice evening all!
A very sad story, and having to decorate makes life even worse, you see, I hate DIY. Same in the UK, all the news is bad, and this Covid thing doesn't appear to have any light at the end of the tunnel. In the UK there is a campaign by some people to give kids free school meals when it isn't term time. For some strange reason these people think it is the responsibility for the tax payer to feed peoples kids, not the parents. How very odd. Along with all that, the weather is getting worse, and the days shorter.

As far as watches go, that's depressing as well. I will no longer buy a watch unless I can flip one. Selling watches is very hard unless they are rare, or I am almost giving them away, and anything I want appears to be expensive, and the seller won't budge on price. Never mind though, apart from a bad back, arthritis, gout, and a stomach complaint, I have my good health:rolleyes:

·
Aspiring Expert
2,189 Posts
The love of my life and the woman in my sig file whose photo was desecrated by the accutroll.
I to know the feeling of great loss when I lost my only sister to colon cancer only 6 months after her diagnosis, that was 8 years ago, and then I lost my father a year and a half later due to brain cancer, I had moved back home to take care of him while he fought it for two years and I was there beside him when he lost his battle...

BUT I would never sully the cherished memory of them by telling people about them to garner sympathy and in the same breath wrongly attack someone for something they didn't do and with childish namecalling like "accutroll"??? What is wrong with you to use your deceased wife's memory in such a transparent way as trolling someone?!?

My god! have you no shame?!?

I've asked you before but this time I'm flat out telling you! Stop trying to drag me into the childish fights you have with people all over the place! I WANT NO PART OF IT!!!

·
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please don't bring your differences to my thread. Don't ruin the experience for me.

·
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Totally can’t believe it’s been a year either Frans since
Anne’s passing. What’s wonderful though is hearing
you talk about her, and post about her like this. It just
is the best to see, and is the most heart warming to
hear. Because you can really feel the love you have
for her, and she for you. It’s the most incredible of
tributes.

Oh, and I would imagine she is loving you doing the
redecorating like that ! You can imagine she is beyond
happy, as well as enjoying every little change you are
making, or thing you are doing. From the color of the
paint, to the ideas, and what you have planned. In a
way, it’s all like a tribute as well. Very very nice.

Honestly, think even the interest you have in all of your
hobbies pays tribute, and honors her, and even your
parents. Seriously, just the way you go about things
is remarkable, and just plain cool to experience from
afar. I hope you keep it up forever, and really can enjoy
life, your family, friends, and all those fantastic hobbies.

By the way, love that you are not watching too much
news. It ‘s great not watching, because right away, you
feel more happy, and positive. Which is how Anne is
wanting you to be I bet right?!

Really hope you have nice evening as well Frans. Can’t
thank you enough for sharing this excellent post with us !

Reactions: FBPB

·
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you ever considered getting a dog or cat ?
I have but decided not to do it. A pet comes with great responsibility and although I really, really like dachshunds, the thought of having to leave it all alone when I'm not at home makes me uneasy. They are not toys you know.

·
3,106 Posts
Nice display cabinets. Looks like you’ve done a fine bit of organizing. The whole room looks great.

I used to be into (and am about to return to the hobby) tropical fish. My youngest daughter for Christmas received an aquarium which I’ve set up and it reminded me how beautiful and stress-relieving they can be. A bit of learning to set up but simple to maintain once done. Perhaps an alternative to a traditional pet.

·
Super Moderator
15,617 Posts
Ooh cool Frans, incredibly cool honestly. ;):cool:

I’m not sure exactly how you must have pictured,
or imagined things turning out. ..But seriously, if
things would have turned out even half this good,
it would have been astonishing I think. (y)(y)

Wow, just wow, well done sir !

Yeah, I love those cabinets, they are phenomenal,
and how about all of your ultra cool items, as well
as collections within it?!

The Museum is magnificent ! 🏆🥇But the rest of
the place is beautiful as well. From the furniture, and
lighting, to way everything looks, and is set up, it
rocks sir. ..Honestly cannot thank you enough for
sharing all of this with us !!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts