Watch Freeks banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of a downer for me today - Ive been after a high polish chrome SAN IV for a while and I got my top pick delivered today. High chrome polish with a Ronda Mastertech movement with the XL date. I'm in the UK and had this delivered from the US.

Straight after opening the box I noticed none of the hands were moving. I started the stop watch and nothing happened. Checked the crown and it was fully closed. I popped it up and changed the time - nothing. I contacted the seller (private sale) and he assured me it was working when he shipped it.

The packing was a bit loose - not really tight for a watch - but there is no physical damage to the watch box or the watch.

After checking with the seller we agreed I would change the battery tomorrow and take it from there. However I'm not confident - I think the battery shouldn't be dead on this new a watch. Also when I try the stop watch the stop watch second marker (tall hand that sits at 12) looks like its trying to move but doesn't actually move. When i lap it the watch hand very slightly vibrates. This shows me its getting power (maybe).

Any advise would be appreciated. This a beautiful watch that I would love to keep.

Cheers, P.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
If you used paypal, go through them to rectify the situation.

If you change the battery, it's possible the seller may say you opened it up, so it's not his problem anymore.
Unless you know the seller

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tinknocker - I emailed him and have it in writing that he would like me to try a battery swap. If that doesn't work I'll have to go through paypal.

Cheers.

If you used paypal, go through them to rectify the situation.

If you change the battery, it's possible the seller may say you opened it up, so it's not his problem anymore.
Unless you know the seller

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
IMO it does sound like a dead battery. I have seen lots of quartz watches where the second hand pulses but doesn't really move. New battery and it worked perfectly. I have gotten a few brand new watches from retailers that had dead batteries it not uncommon. You say you popped the crown and changed the time. I am assuming the hands moved when you tried to set it? If they did I would bet it's just a battery.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Johnro,

Thanks for the re-assurance. Thats interesting about he pulsing second hand. I really hope its the battery - I will be relieved if it is. All the hands and date move OK.

I'll drop an update once I've returned from my watch guy.

Thanks, P.

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
I'm betting battery, too. Quartz in general and Ronda's in particular are pretty durable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got the battery changed and yaaaaay its all working. Had to get the markers aligned and its all pretty much bang on.

The 3H marker 1/10 of a second looks a little off and we weren't able to set that - but its a very minor PITA.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts