Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I've been performing a timing test on the Tourbillon, so I wind it every day around noon, then check the time again the atomic clock each day, around 10:30pm.

When I checked last night, the watch appears to have stopped around 2:30pm (90 minutes after winding it).

To say I'm disappointed doesn't even begin to express how I feel right now. I'll leave it at that. :madd

I will contact Stuhrling by Monday.:wf

:WW:WW:WW:WW

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

No way!!!!!!! So it will not run now at all?

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

I do not know what to say Rick!
How 'bout &*%$#@@!
That is really awful, I know how you feel about that piece.
At least you know that you have a stand up company and guy (Larry) that you will be dealing with.

I hope it gets straightened out ASAP.:)

CJ

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
imported post

that really stinks man...i know how it feels....I hope they resolve it....It just makes me wonder if we all thought that a tourbillon for less then a grand is just really tough to find....It sort of makes me wonder about it. Rick I dont want to sway you at all but it just makes me wonder long term whether it will perform up to your expectations as I hope it will.

Either way I have no reason not to believe that Larry will take great care of you especially on a high profile piece such as this. Pls let us know what happends.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

Ouch, sorry man I know how much you love this one. Good luck. I hope it gets back to you in running order quickly.

·
Registered
767 Posts
imported post

That is a bummer, Rick. But, if I could choose a company that I had to deal with on a CS/warranty issue, it would be a toss up between G.Fox and Larry. I'd say you are in good hands; I'm sure this will be resolved next week. Still a big disappointment, I know. Sorry to hear about it and best of luck getting it straightened out ASAP!

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

So sorry to hear about yopur tourbillon, Rick. I have to agree with allare saying about Mr. Megan and his customer seervice. Your tourbillon will be rerpaired and come back better than new. You probably recieved the watch that slip through quality control.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Well, now it's running!

I tried shaking the watch when I first noticed it had stopped, to no avail.

I shook it again, about 30 minutes later and it fired right up. It's been running ever since.

It sounds like something is loose inside the case (maybe . . . it's hard to tell . . . it's hard to see anything inside of the tourbillon cage) and maybe it's periodically settling into the gear train and blocking the movement from running. I'm purely speculating.

I have an e-mail into Stuhrling CS, but I've also been given Larry's direct e-mail, so I'll contact him.

Thanks.

·
Registered
767 Posts
imported post

It's ALIVE! Good news, Rick- hopefully they'll still service it and take a look at it, tighten/adjust whatever they need to and return it to you in perfect condition.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

It's ALIVE!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

Rick,

I'm not sure I agree with Eric on this one. Isn't this a SeaGull? They make ABSOLUTELY the best Chinese watches, from what I can ascertain.

Having a prized watch die is No Fun At ALL... I know how much this watch means to you.

Obviously Larry is a stand-up guy and it will be resolved, but it still gives you that queasy feeling; trust me I know ALL about it... I have an almost identical issue on a watch I have REALLY wanted for a very long time, my Nicolet Eklipse. It arrived and I couldn't get it to start... Hand-winding didn't help. I was so bummed out as I have LOVED this watch since I first saw it, but never bought it because I like "deals" and it's never been (IMO) cheap enough.

I finally broke down as only a handful were left and it won't ever be produced (TRUE limited edition) and so I bought it as:
Last watch of 2009
Self-gift Christmas and Birthday

If I jostle it VERY HARD, I can get it to run for a few seconds, but then it dies... Nicolet has the same lifetime warranty on their movements as Croton, so I'm not that worried long-term, but I want a good one out of the chute.

I guess the reason why you buy from reputable sellers is to take care of you in these cases and I have already ordered a replacement, but it still kinda stinks. I know it's gonna be resolved, but the inconvenience and disappointment is real.

I know a LOT of problems are blamed on shipping, but I'm pretty sure that is the culprit in my case. Maybe I should send mine to DEDWARD to open it up and tighten some movement screws, LOL

Best of luck, Rick! I'm confident you will get a prompt and satisfactory resolution from Larry and Stuhrling.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
imported post

I have no clue if its a seagull...For me IMO what i was saying was simply when a Tourby comes along that is THAT far under priced from where traditionally they are, for ME atleast I have a nagging suspicion in my head that tells me "I hope its not too good to be true"....I HOPE IN THIS CASE IT IS TRUE!!! Larry seems like a great guy and a no BS dude, and I really like his designs...I have 1, a regulator that I never wear, but it was pretty!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

argabright wrote:
Rick,

I'm not sure I agree with Eric on this one. Isn't this a SeaGull? They make ABSOLUTELY the best Chinese watches, from what I can ascertain.

Having a prized watch die is No Fun At ALL... I know how much this watch means to you.

Obviously Larry is a stand-up guy and it will be resolved, but it still gives you that queasy feeling; trust me I know ALL about it... I have an almost identical issue on a watch I have REALLY wanted for a very long time, my Nicolet Eklipse. It arrived and I couldn't get it to start... Hand-winding didn't help. I was so bummed out as I have LOVED this watch since I first saw it, but never bought it because I like "deals" and it's never been (IMO) cheap enough.

I finally broke down as only a handful were left and it won't ever be produced (TRUE limited edition) and so I bought it as:
Last watch of 2009
Self-gift Christmas and Birthday

If I jostle it VERY HARD, I can get it to run for a few seconds, but then it dies... Nicolet has the same lifetime warranty on their movements as Croton, so I'm not that worried long-term, but I want a good one out of the chute.

I guess the reason why you buy from reputable sellers is to take care of you in these cases and I have already ordered a replacement, but it still kinda stinks. I know it's gonna be resolved, but the inconvenience and disappointment is real.

I know a LOT of problems are blamed on shipping, but I'm pretty sure that is the culprit in my case. Maybe I should send mine to DEDWARD to open it up and tighten some movement screws, LOL

Best of luck, Rick! I'm confident you will get a prompt and satisfactory resolution from Larry and Stuhrling.
I'm sorry to read about your Nicolet.

I feel confident that this situation will be worked out.

I can quote a post I that wrote elsewhere stating that I will purchase the Tourbillon (even with my Chinese movement concerns), even if there's a problem, because I feel that Larry and Stuhrling could take care of it. Also, since this isn't a timepiece that I wear daily, I can certainly afford to have it sent for out repair.

With that said . . . my heart about broke when I saw that tourbillon cage sitting motionless! I just couldn't believe it! :BE

I've had the worst luck with "premier" watch models (of several brands) in 2009, more than at any point in my watch collecting existence put together!

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

You can only take a deep breath and get it ready to send back to Stuhrling and thank god that they are a reputable company and will take care of it. keep us posted on the results. I feel so bad for you as if it were mine./

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.