Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Many people know I was searching for information on a particular 48mm (53mm with crown) Stuhrling monster called the Targa. So my search led me to Larry Magen from Stuhrling who was nice enough to give everyone the following info about the model line -

Hey Guys,
The original Targa (leather strap) and Targa Pro (bracelet) were made with Ronda Startech movements. We followed up on this model with versions made with a Citizen Chronograph movement. Those versions are called Targa 24 and Targa 24 Pro (bracelet).
As this model gained momentum (particularly on the Internet) we followed that up with our Targa Elite which has a few refinemements in design elements (particularly in the 9:00 sub-dial and two tone bracelet). The Targa Elite also is made with the Citizen Movements.
There are very few of the original Targa's (with the Ronda Startech's) to be had at this point. Certainly not enough in quantity to ever see them again on Shop. We are not planning to make this model with Ronda's again. The Citizen movements are less expensive and suit this model well for us, since it is primarily an Internet piece for us.
The original Targa's are more expensive because of the movement. At this point, Your Dream iz Here is probably the best option to get an original Targa. Simon at Your Dream is a smaller authorized reseller of ours and he is good at these types of situations where we may only have a piece here or there. If we have one.... he can get it. ( http://www.yourdreamizhere.com ) You may have to call him on the phone to get this piece. If you speak with Simon, let him know that I referred you.... hopefully that will help.
If you don't care about Ronda versus Citizen, the newer Targa's are great, will be a few dollars less... and hopefully we will see them on Shop again at some point in the future as we continue to produce this series.
I hope this helps to clarify this topic.
All Good Things, Larry
This information was very helpful in tracking down the 2 available options at the authorized dealer Larry suggested. Please note - this dealer also had the lowest pricing I could find for these 2 models.

Here they are -
The original "Targo Pro" model

http://www.yourdreamizhere.com/product/176B33112/Stuhrling_Swiss_Auto_Race_Targa_Pro_Chrono_Big_Date_47mm_Mens_Watch__176B33112.html

And the newer Targa 24

http://www.yourdreamizhere.com/product/176B233112/Stuhrling_Auto_Race_Targa_24_Pro_Chrono_Big_Date_47mm_Mens_Watch__176B233112.html

While they are obviously very similar the newer one has one less subdial and the date window is at the "6" position instead of the "12" position. Also the movement inside is different as mentioned by Larry.

Not a huge deal as the case and bracelet are exactly the same.

This is a big watch with some great features
Dimensions: Case: 48 mm dia. - 53mm with crown
Materials:Stainless steel
  • Ruggedly styled men's chronograph watch
  • Stuhrling designer style with 316L surgical grade stainless steel case and bracelet
  • Watch features add and split function chronograph Offset second hand subdial
  • Screw-in case back
  • Unidirectional ratcheting bezel
  • Machine-tooled slanted accents down center links
  • Fine coin edge bezel
  • Super Luminova hands and hour markers
  • Sweeping second hand
  • Push-button deployment clasp with safety lock
I am very impressed and have ordered the Targa 24. I will post a full review when it arrives.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

it does look a lot like the Breitling, lol

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I asked Larry about the dials and if there was a Targa 24 model that had the same dial look as the original Targa Pro model?

I heard back from Larry and here is his response. I kind of figured the movement would be the answer why the dials are slightly different.

Hi James;
The answer to your question is "no."
The CM-OS20 is a two register Chrono with the date down at 6 to balance the look of the dial with no register at 6. The Ronda 5040.B has a Big Date at twelve and is a three register Chrono movement ( http://www.ronda.ch/en/products/datasheet/5040.B.html ).
The movements will dictate the layout of the dial.
Thank you for your interest, and that was a lot of fun in KOP.
All Good Things,
Larry
THANK YOU AGAIN Larry for all the info and assistance making this purchase!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

it is a little different, lol.

And it will look great on my wrist soon! :)

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

Great find James. Both watches retail at the same cost the 24 is much larger and lower in cost Look forward to your pics

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

djpop wrote:
Great find James. Both watches retail at the same cost the 24 is much larger and lower in cost Look forward to your pics
they are actually exactly the same size. some of the websites list it incorrectly. Both are 47-48mm without the crown and 52-53mm with the crown.

I ordered the Targa 24 one!

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

Can't wait to see some wrist pics James. I like the watch a lot and it does look very similar to the Breitling.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
imported post

That looks like a fine addition to your collection. I like it.

Very nice.

I see they also have this there. I dunno, I kinda like this, too. Don't know why.

Manchester Ozzie Automatic.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Seattle wrote:
Very nice James!!

CJ
thanks CJ. I am looking forward to getting it. i wish the version I purchased had the same dial layout as the more expensive one, but the case and bracelet are identical. Also i like the fact that the one I did buy is not 100% exactly the same as the Breitling, lol

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

From the Stuhrling Facebook page - check these out!!!
Look at the black one!

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
imported post

That is a nice model.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Took some new pics of my Targa 24. I have the all black one coming soon also and will take pics of that one when it arrives also!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts