Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

One thing i do with atleast half my watchs, is mount it on a wide cuff.
In fact, aside from obtaining a watch, the other half of most of my watch collecting, is finding an appropriate style and color of wide cuff to mount it on.
smallest cuff i own is probably 1.5 inches wide. had one custom made so far to fit one of my skeleton watches. i have another im looking at to get custom made for my invicta force master.
Cuffs, MOD straps, bund straps, all those kind, and in a variety of natural leather shades.
Anyone else into this?
Anyone want to see some samples? just ask and i'll post up some pictures of watches i've already coordinated, and ones im in the process of coordinating, and future projects!

·
Registered
922 Posts
imported post

I would like to see some samples. I have to be honest that I am not sure what you are talking about.

"mount on wide cuff"? You lost me.

Pics please.

·
Administrator
1,227 Posts
imported post

How wide are those bands. They are all wider then the watch cases. Very cool.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

since cuffs are one piece and the watches backplates rest on them, and because of the average size of these pieces is definetly larger than average in length and case width, i refer to it as mounting, haha, i mean, these things are beasts, and the bigger ones that i'm having custom made are for 53mm+ cases, some of which are russian divers

·
Administrator
1,227 Posts
imported post

That is awesome. Have you ever put a 52mm or larger watch on a 60mm cuff? I would love to see that!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

TheWATCHer wrote:
How wide are those bands. They are all wider then the watch cases. Very cool.
thank you!
these ones range from 1.5 in to 1.75
in spite of horrible cameraphone pics that are made worse by less than ample lighting, they aren't as creased or worn as the picture makes them appear.
the dark brown and light brown are both old stock from the 70s, while the black one was custom made to fit the invicta ghost by www.oldschoolleather.com
which is a husband and wife team that make leather accessories as a side job.
It's a very basic piece, and it only cost about $30 after everything, including shipping!
im having a $100 piece done by matara design to fit my russian diver and/or force master, check it out !!! http://cgi.ebay.com/Leather-Watch-C...in_0?hash=item1e5651fa39&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14
much more expensive but worth every penny

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

TheWATCHer wrote:
That is awesome. Have you ever put a 52mm or larger watch on a 60mm cuff? I would love to see that!
well, the cuff by matara design that i put a link to in my previous post is a whopping
2.25 inches wide! and double buckled and will interchangeable between my russian diver and force master which are very similiar in measurements, and not including the crowns im pretty shure they've both above 52mm!

·
Administrator
1,227 Posts
imported post

That is VERY nice for $100. Looks like real good quality. I can't wait to see it with a watch on it. Amazing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

thanks! glad you see it that way! i was afraid that people might think of it as dressing them down, haha, but seriously, there's no other way to wear a plus size watch, between the style, look and comfort, it really balances out the giant sized watches

·
Registered
225 Posts
imported post

What a novel idea my friend, it's so **yesterday** don't you agree? I will keep this in mind when I buy a nice large watch, thanks very much for posting that link, I think it's just super!!!!

Charlie

·
Registered
139 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure how old you are but we wore our watches on cuffs like that back in the 60's/70's!!! I love the look! So "yesterday" as El Don Juan said. Bravo on a very nostalgic look!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

thanks!
Yes, it is a very retro look! popularized in those the times you mention, but were based after military issued straps, but perhaps you are well aware of that.

if you wanna see me get real old school, im looking into a remake one of those WWI style bund straps that has the snap on and off leather cover over the watch face...well, actually, im looking into several, haha! And since the trench-watches were fitted in them are so expensive and so hard to find in good working order, im looking into the classic Longines watches to fit in there. they have a similiar look, slightly larger lugs, not wire, but same shape.
if anyones interested in the strap style im talking about, here is a link to a great site that sells them, hand-made, at an AMAZING price...
http://www.ofrei.com/page918.html
and another from an amazon seller
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...rev=/images?q=leather+cover+watch&gbv=2&hl=en

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Bichondaddy wrote:
Nine_Inch_LinkPins wrote:
DUDE.....I am having a 1970's flash back!!!! Dang...I wore my watches in High school with straps like that!!!!
And it isnt a good flashback either, there is living proof the 70's where rough!

·
Registered
499 Posts
imported post

What watch brand is the one on the left, It looks so cool. Great looking cuffs, yes, the must have watch band back in the 60's. You have a great retro sense of style, I really enjoy that in a person. WEAR what you like, not what other people tell you what to wear. Life is very short, enjoy it.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

RipitRon....the 1970's were no fun at all for me. Especially the last three years....jeeze...I had 6 operations on my left leg and spent better than two years in rehad for my football injury....lets see....I lost my college sweetheart during that time...she couldn't handle me being injured and in the hospital all the time. The list goes on and on.

Plus...horrors of all horrors...I only had maybe 3 watches at that time!!!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
imported post

I thought that I would revive this thread, found via a search of the group site.

I note that one Amazon vendor, Nemesis, still offers a decent range of wide leather watch bands that look like they are from the 1970s. Below is a link to them for those interested. As off the shelf items they should be less expensive than having something custom made. You too can look like a hippie!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2...ather+cuff+bands&ie=UTF8&qid=1325435303&ajr=1

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
imported post

What the in the hell is that watch on the far right??!?!? I have never seen anything like that?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts