Watch Freeks banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a Seiko 6309-7040, and have since had it equipped with a Super Engineer II bracelet from Strapcode. Both items have been frequently written about and reviewed here; but here’s my contribution, FWIW.

The watch is well known to Seiko and diver aficionados. My example is a typical refurb from one of several sources in the Philippines. But mine was purchased from another party who had acquired it directly from the refurbisher and then decided to flip it.

My 6309 has a replacement crystal, hands, dial, chapter ring and bezel insert. The case is buffed, but the nomenclature and serial number are still clearly legible. According to one of the serial number calculators available on the web, my watch dates to July 1981. I haven’t measured its accuracy with any precision, but I haven’t observed any issues thus far after a couple of weeks of wear.

My watch had arrived with the typical Seiko black urethane band. I’ve worn it before on my Frankenmonster, and my wrist won’t tolerate it; it makes my skin get red and itchy. So it had to go. (I have a similar problem with Natos; it's just less severe.) When I went shopping for a proper stainless steel bracelet, I chose the Super Engineer II because I like the 5-link design and the overall quality, which I purchased via Amazon.com.

I’ll take a brief detour here, for those who are members of Amazon Prime, which includes two-day free shipping. Strapcode has many offerings on Amazon, but some are shipped from Strapcode while others are fulfilled by Amazon. However, not all of their “fulfilled by Amazon” offerings are eligible for Amazon Prime. For example, if you’re searching in the “Watch Accessories” category you can filter for “Strapcode” as the seller. When I did so today, I saw 1,095 results. But when I filtered for “Prime Eligible,” the results dropped to 58 – which did include the Super Engineer II; but apparently there’s a non-Prime listing for the same band; and that’s the one I happened to place in my shopping cart. Weird. Anyway, my band was shipped by Amazon but only via USPS First Class, which took several days to arrive.

Aside from that – no disappointments. The band arrived wreathed in plastic and fitted neatly into a Ziploc bag. It included two fat spring bars. So far so good, but having it fitted was a bit more trouble than I’d expected.

To many of you, adjustments to watch and band are second nature. But I have no mechanical ability at all, so my adjustments are made by a fellow who has a kiosk in the local shopping mall. I stopped by on a Saturday morning and asked that he attach the band, but it took much longer than expected. The screws holding the links in place were set very tightly. I could see his hands cramping as he struggled with his tiny screwdriver. When he began to look irritated I suggested he take a break and deal with the two other customers who had queued up restlessly behind me. A few battery changes later, he went back to the band. Altogether, it took him about 20 minutes to replace the urethane band with the new Super Engineer II and size it properly. His upped his usual rate of $7 to $9 for the additional time and difficulty. To keep things cordial, I paid him $12.

The Super Engineer II is available with three different clasps: seatbelt, deployant* and push-button style; and it can be purchased in steel finish or PVD. You can also specify either curved or straight ends; and the curved ones fit the curvature of my 6309 perfectly. The end links also have a more brushed finish than the other links in the band, which matches the 6309’s brushed finish nicely. I purchased the seatbelt clasp, which is released by raising the outer edge of the clasp, just like a seat belt. To put the band back on, it takes a bit of practice to guide the end of the clasp into the opening, one handed; but it isn’t difficult. The clasp gives the bracelet a cleaner, less cluttered look. And I’ve had no issues at all with anything coming loose.

Each of the Super Engineer’s links are a flattened, asymmetrical hexagonal shape. The result is a subtle, faceted appearance that catches the light, but without being glittery. The individual links are also relatively small, which gives the band a great deal more flex than you’ll find with a more typical stainless band. It’s certainly a heavy band, but it takes all of 30 seconds to get used to that.

In summary, I’m very pleased indeed with these acquisitions. I’ve worn them together non-stop for nearly a week with no issues at all. Recommended.

Apologies for the poor quality photographs.

*Not to be tedious, but “deployant” is sometimes referred to as “deployment.” And to make things more complicated, Strapcode actually uses both terms – interchangeably, as far as I can determine – within their Amazon listings. A search on Google for “deployant vs. deployment” shows a startlingly active discussion on this topic. Something I prefer to avoid, so I'll take no position here on which of the two terms is correct.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Nice write up, I like the look of the super engineer on the Seiko, and I think its the first time I have seen a clasp like that, I like the look of it.
Thanks for taking the time for the write up and photos.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts