26K views 53 replies 35 participants last post by  nine 
#1 ·
imported post

Reviewer: Don aka Tattoo Chef

Item being reviewed : 24mm black ISOfrane Dive Strap

Strap was purchased for myself.

Company Website: http://isofrane.com/

About Isofrane:

Today's ISOfrane dive strap bears the same design as the original ISOfrane dive strap of the 1960s. ISOfrane was standard equipment for several iconic dive watches of the era.

2010 marks the return of the ISOfrane strap!

Isofrane History:

When the makers of some of the most iconic dive watches of the 60’s and 70’s needed a rubber strap they chose ISOfrane!

Sometimes the simplest design is the most advanced –

When the ISOfrane dive strap debuted, it quite literally changed the shape of diving - or at least the shape of dive straps!

Before, the ISOfrane dive straps were usually made from rubber. They were sticky, uncomfortable and would often blister and crack in extreme conditions. These straps were even harder on the divers wearing them. Without ventilation, the skin doesn’t breath.

The ISOfrane strap changed all of that.

The ISOfrane strap was the result of a more humane design. ISOfrane straps were manufactured from isoprene.

ISOwhat?
The original ISOfrane straps were manufactured using a compound called isoprene. And just what is isoprene? Isoprene is a colorless, liquid hydrocarbon that is obtained in the processing of petroleum and/or coal tar and is used as a raw, chemical material.
Isoprene was far more durable, and maintained its looks.

Facebook Pagehttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Isofrane-Dive-Straps/259012627472407

Specs for 24mm
Physical strap length = 200 mm*
Effective strap length = 195 mm
Strap width = 24 mm
Strap buckle width = 22 mm
Thickness at lug = 5.5mm
Thickness at end = 3.7mm
Strap Color = Black

Options:

ISOfrane straps come in 3 sizes and colors. 20,22, and 24mm . Black , Blue , and Orange.

They also come with 2 buckle choices. The "IN" buckle or the "RS" buckle.

"IN" BUCKLE

"RS" BUCKLE

You also have a choice of brushed or polished, stainless or PVD.

There is also a dive extenstion available.

Pricing

ISOfrane straps range in price from $99 to $129 , plus shipping, depending on the strap width and buckle/finish options.

My Pictures:

Summary:

This review is obviously a little different than most , as it is a strap, and not a watch.

I wanted to do a review on this strap, because, like most, I was very skeptical of how good it could be for the price.

$100 for a rubber strap? Are they crazy ? Are they out of thier minds? This was my first reaction to ISOfrane straps.

Is the price a little steep? YES. Is it worth it? Without question.

This is by far the best rubber strap on the market in my opinion.  From a design standpoint, with the double angled keepers, the angled edge of the strap at the end, the very thick buckle with screws instead of friction pins, it is a killer looking strap. The vent holes serve a major purpose, as not only is it a great look , but make it easy to wear in even the hottest weather, and they allow your skin to breath.

Comfort is off the charts. I can wear it one slot down than I normally would for a strap, due to how the strap just hugs the wrist perfectly, and even though it is looser than I would normally wear, it does not slide and stays right in the middle of my wrist.

It is very pliable, hypoallergenic, stain and water resitant and cleans up in a second. No dirt or lint catcher here. There are many look alike straps that have come out in the last year, make no mistake, they might look like it, but they are no comparison to an ISOfrane.

If you love rubber straps and want the best you can buy, or are not the biggest fan of rubber, try one of these, you will not be dissapointed. They are flat out the best rubber strap in my opinion, period. I find myself, taking straps and bracelets off other watches, and putting the ISOfrane on it. Anything with a 24mm lug has been earmarked for a strap change for the ISOfrane ....it is just that good.

Any member that was at the recent Greensboro NC get together this past weekend that looked at it, will attest, it is an awesome rubber strap. I plan on ordering an orange one in the future as well. Just that damn good.

So, I just wanted to give my opinions on it. For anyone on the fence, go ahead and give it a try, I am sure  you will not be dissapointed.

See less See more
#31 ·
imported post

Hands down the best and you can get the 129.00 version for 99.00 do to stock availability as I ordered one today for my LumTec. In fact out of all the watches and other straps I have sold this is the only one I regret selling. ALso here is the link to order the 129.00 version for 99.00

http://isofrane.com/ordering_isofrane_strap.htm

#33 ·
imported post

nice strap. but $100. tell me they couldint make it $60. ! and make a profit , its sort of funny, i just recived a dive strap this last week, by deep blue, also a very good diver strap, to go along with one of there very nice dive watches, for much less cash, oh well , dont know if theirs a point hear, or not.....

#34 ·
imported post

Great review Don! I totally agree with what you wrote. It is hands down the best rubber strap out.

#35 ·
imported post

Great CS also. Ordered Saturday Afternoon Shipped Monday Am Fedex from Switzerland and will receive tomorrow.

#37 ·
imported post

its not your review , its the dam price ! it just plane cost to much, ya, it mite well be the best rubber strap in the world, but $100. im all about practiical,and things that feel good, but i think that isofrain profit / mark-up , is just to high ! its only rubber that came out of a mold, not a real expensive process, if ya think about it ! :eek:

#38 ·
imported post

Blane x1 wrote:
its not your review , its the dam price ! it just plane cost to much, ya, it mite well be the best rubber strap in the world, but $100. im all about practiical,and things that feel good, but i think that isofrain profit / mark-up , is just to high ! its only rubber that came out of a mold, not a real expensive process, if ya think about it ! :eek:
There is no denying that. You are paying a price for a great rubber strap because they can charge it. This is mainly because of their history, quality, and exclusivity.

It probably cost $10 to manufacture the strap. If you find another manufacturer or vendor that will sell exactly the same spec,quality and feel of the isofrane rubber at a much cheaper price, please let me know and I will jump on it. In the meantime, I'll keep buying isofranes.

#39 ·
imported post

You can spend that much or more on a Di-Modell or Hadley-Roma leather strap.

So It's the quality that you pay for.

#40 ·
imported post

Also remember they are based in Austria and use the euro and they ship FedEx and you receive the strap in a matter of a few days so the price looks better all the time.

#42 ·
imported post

Only 200mm length? I've got an 8 1/4" wrist and that sounds a tad short. I'd hate to spend $100 for a rubber strap only to have to have the end barely tuck into the keeper.

#48 ·
imported post

ChuckW wrote:
Only 200mm length? I've got an 8 1/4" wrist and that sounds a tad short. I'd hate to spend $100 for a rubber strap only to have to have the end barely tuck into the keeper.
It should fit fine!

#49 ·
imported post

Jo-Jo wrote:
This strap came with my Benarus Moray "Red Dart". It is INCREDIBLE !!! Soft as butter.
Unless it stated that it was an Isofrane strap, either on the website, or in your packaging of the watch, it is not an Isofrane strap, but an Isofrane lookalike...which I have had with some watches, and while it is decent, if you put it next to a genuine Isofrane, it is no comparison.....

#50 ·
imported post

Tattoo Chef wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:
This strap came with my Benarus Moray "Red Dart". It is INCREDIBLE !!! Soft as butter.
Unless it stated that it was an Isofrane strap, either on the website, or in your packaging of the watch, it is not an Isofrane strap, but an Isofrane lookalike...which I have had with some watches, and while it is decent, if you put it next to a genuine Isofrane, it is no comparison.....
Hi Don, you are definitely correct; especially with the smell of the strap... definitely unique, soft while substantial.

Really, I think people really have difficulty absorbing the cost of a strap that is $100 or more considering the manufacturing cost is likely something significantly south of that.

I would believe that Isofrane thinks they have the market cornered with what is a trademarked design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.