Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Reviewer: Mike W (UKWolfeman)
Strap Being Reviewed: Military Canvas

Donated for Review

Company Website: http://hamiltonleatherworks.com/
Blog: http://hamiltonleatherwatchstraps.blogspot.com/?m=0
Email: [email protected]

About/History (direct from owner): "My name is Eric Hamilton Gabriel, 44 years old, father of 2 sons and I reside in San Juan del Sur, Rivas, Nicaragua. I was was born in Paris, France, grew up in Germany where I worked in the fashion industry, then moved to Miami Beach, where I owned and operated two boutique hotels. Nine years ago I sold my hotels and moved to Nicaragua, where I built several homes and designed and operated a beach front restaurant.

I have always been interested in watches in general and owned a lot of them without really knowing much about them until I discovered the different watch fora online. Living in a country that has basically no watch retail business I was one day forced to make myself a new band for my Panerai as the old band had reached the end of it's life cycle and the closest store was at least one flight away.

After many horrible looking attempts I finally managed to make a decent looking strap and showed it proudly in the daily wrist check threads. From then it didn't take long until the first requests from other members started coming in and a hobby turned into a part-time business. This was about 5 years ago and last year my little shop, Hamilton Leathers, made over 500 straps and has grown to a staff of 5 (including my little wood workshop that makes custom watch collector boxes when we are not busy producing furniture).

This year we have increased our production and were able to attract small boutique watch manufacturers like Vintage VDB in Germany and Movas watches in Asia as clients. We will launch our new website: www.hamiltonleatherworks.com this month to have a better way of showing the variety of products we can offer."

Specifications:

22/22mm
135/85 length
3 - 3.5mm thick
Price: $99 USD $10 shipping

Thoughts and Impressions: Hamilton Leather provides a very nice canvas pouch as packaging for their straps. Perfect packaging! The strap is made from a waxed military grade canvas with a leather core. The 22/22mm strap measures 3 - 3.5mm thick depending on place of measurement and is 135/85 approximately in length. The stitching is hand sewn and is extremely even throughout the top side of the stap.

When the strap first arrived it was extremely stiff like most canvas I have experienced. The canvas and leather core worked in very easily and ended up being extremely comfortable to wear. The strap came with an adequate amount of sizing holes but of course the number can be specified upon ordering according to the buyers preference. The buckle end of the strap contains one sewn in and one floating keeper made of leather. I have seen and have owned other canvas straps with canvas keepers and while nice personally I believe the leather keepers provide a much nicer appearance.

Hamilton Leather produces various color canvas straps which is another nice option so the buyer is not stuck with the traditional green canvas only. Of course the green canvas looks fantastic on certain watches such as the watch I chose for this stap review. No buckle reviewed with this strap but from my understanding standard buckles are generally included with strap purchases. I have reviewed many quality straps and this one is no different. I want to applaud Hamilton Leather for producing an extremely high quality canvas strap that looks fantastic and is comfortable to wear. I look forward to your comments or personal experiences with Hamilton Leather.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

It looks very nice, and looks good in the Glycine, but I still prefer leather backing on canvas straps.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
imported post

Nice strap, pics, and review, Michael. I like this one a lot. I'm really getting into canvas a lot lately anyway and this one looks very well made. I like little touches like the perfect looking stitching and the nice contrast from the keepers. Very nice really. Are there other models with a little more flair or leather backing, leather patches, >3.5mm thick, metal eyelets for the holes, etc?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
imported post

First, thank You for an easy read review with great pictures.
i understand if the simplicity of the straps design is the straps design but personally i'd prefer a a leather back or exposed core.
When i looked at Hamilton Leather Works site under the canvas straps i saw this and wonder if You could say if it's a leather back or a display of the core material? i didn't see the leather back as a selection. Thanx

http://hamiltonleatherworks.com/?product=canvas-straps

·
Registered
122 Posts
imported post

Nice review. I actually ordered a strap from Hamilton on Monday and found out its on its way to me today! Eric (the owner) is great to work with and was very accommodating to all my requests. He sent a pic of the completed strap today and it looks great - exactly what I was looking for.
I can't wait until it gets here, I'm working on building a watch and this custom strap will be the perfect way to make it a little more unique. I'll post some pics once I get everything assembled and the strap arrives.

·
Registered
673 Posts
imported post

First off, thanx for the review. Second, I appreciate the strap for what it is, simple/casual. I would not change it in any way. If one wants a leather backing or eyelets, then that would be a different strap from what it is. I like this strap for what it is. IMHO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
imported post

Tattoo Chef wrote:
It looks very nice, and looks good in the Glycine, but I still prefer leather backing on canvas straps.
All my straps are handmade to order so you can select every part of it like the material for the backing or keepers

·
Registered
142 Posts
imported post

I'm liking the canvas.

I'm wrist overheats with other strap material but NATO-style or canvas keep my wrist coolers.

Thanks for the review!

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Donerix wrote:
Tattoo Chef wrote:
All my straps are handmade to order so you can select every part of it like the material for the backing or keepers
Thanks Eric. Looking forward to your posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but does anyone know if this company is still in business? Every time I go on the web site I keep getting an error message. I also PM the owner on here and I have not heard back from him. Any where else I can get a nice canvas strap like this one? I have been checking the internet and can't seem to find.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but does anyone know if this company is still in business? Every time I go on the web site I keep getting an error message. I also PM the owner on here and I have not heard back from him. Any where else I can get a nice canvas strap like this one? I have been checking the internet and can't seem to find.
He probably has not been on the forum since the conversion and doesnt have it marked to send him email notifications for pms.

His website works fine, I just went to it from the link in this review.

Also, have you tried emailing directly?
[email protected]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts