19,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Reviewer: Don aka Tattoo Chef
Strap provided for review.
Strap being reviewed: DaLuca custom Swiss Ammo strap

Company Website: http://www.dalucastraps.com/

About:
DaLuca Straps creates one of a kind watch straps for Panerai and other high end watches. Our watch straps are always handmade, only using premium leather, including shell cordovan. Every watch strap is made in San Diego, Ca and each one is tested on a Panerai for a nice fit (24mm only) and look. We also offer some of the finest handmade leather belts, alligator belts, crocodile belts, lizard belts, a shell cordovan wallet, shell cordovan NATO watch straps, nylon NATO watch straps, alligator money clips and leather camera straps.

We also create unique vintage watch straps that utilize leather from vintage military leathers sourced throughout the world. Our goal is to make our watch straps look distressed, which will give them an older, worn feel. This allows them to age as you wear them and become even more unique as time passes.

We also create custom watch straps, which can be customized for your specific size and color preferences on each part of your custom watch strap order. Every watch strap is individually named, which makes each one unique."

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DLStraps?ref=ts

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DaLucaStraps

Contact Info: [email protected]
(858) 733-1987

Stock Photo: (example of custom ammo straps)

Strap Description: (From Website)
This is our most popular watch strap! These are made from an ultra unique and extremely rare Swiss ammo pouch that dates back to 1900. Most were made around the 1940s to 1970s. They range in many shades of brown from a very light orangish tinted brown to a very sophisticared dark brown. The thickness is around 3mm to 4mm and they will last a lifetime, even through the toughest of conditions. We keep the construction very simple with 1 piece of vintage leather and your buckle of choice, along with tubes.

Strap specifications:
Width:22/22mm
Lenth: 130/80
Thickness: About 3.5mm
Keepers:1 Floating keeper
Stiffness: M,inimal stiffness, very pliable
Stitching: Cream colored minimal stitching
Holes: Round
Buckle: Sewn in signed brushed Pre-V

Price: $240 (I believe DaLuca Straps offers discounts to Watchfreek members)

Packaging: No actual packaging, was sent in a bubble envelope. Some of their straps do come in a signed cloth pouch.

My Photos:

Thoughts and Impressions:
This particular ammo strap was a custom made strap from DaLuca. You have the option on their website to choose from ready made ammo straps or to have one built to your specifications. I wanted something very rugged and raw but still good looking, and I think it came out very well. The strap is very soft and the leather very smooth. It is extremely pilable and the shade of this ammo is a nice lightchestnutbrown color that I think will wear well with many different watches. It has minimal stitching, and I am not sure if the stitch threads toward the end of the strap are from the ammo pouch itself or added in for extra character, but I think it looks nice. It has a nice signed sewn in Pre-V buckle , and overall is very comfortable and good looking on the wrist. The back is raw leather, as the strap is made from a single piece of leather, but the backing does have some kind of coating on it to protect it from sweat, water, etc. Overall, I think it is a very unique looking strap. DaLuca offers Swiss and French ammo straps and the Swiss Ammo straps can be made from either brown or black ammo pouches. You can also choose from options such as clean, a few marks, distressed, very distressed or with stamps(stamp markings from the actual pouch). I will state though, that I am not sure about the pricing. While the strap is nice looking, and is comfortable, the price is very high compared to what else is out there on the market from other strap makers. I have reviewed many straps, and I can say Idon'tknow how long it takes to make one of these, or how much the leather costs, but as always it is up to the customer to make the decision if a product is worth it.

Thank you for reading, as always I look forward to your comments.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
imported post

It looks great on your watch no doubt, that 7th pic of the watch face down reminded me of my Oxidental leather tool pouches, built to last and last...
Really pricey though, IMO, is it the ammo pouch leather that sells it, or sold it for you?

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

Very nice looking strap. I'm not sure i like the little piece of thread hanging out there all by itself but overall nice looking and good review. Thx.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

UKWolfeman wrote:
Very nice looking strap. I'm not sure i like the little piece of thread hanging out there all by itself but overall nice looking and good review. Thx.
Yeah, it might not be for everyone, but I think it is actually kind of cool. As I said, I think it gives it a little character.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts