Watch Freeks banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I got this watch online and I got quite curious what this watch was all about. I cannot find the watch anywhere I look.

Some data:
Movement: CAL2542 PC 28 Jewels (I find tons of 25 Jewels versions)
Dial without Crown: 40 mm

Someone told me this was in the 70s.. Not Sure.

I think the Crown are genuine along with the dial, hands and movement. Not sure of the case and crystal thou. Hope anyone can help me out here.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Reactions: jason_recliner

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the guy who sold to me got it from Italy once. Seller in italy said that this was a prototype from zenith and was never produced for the consumers. I have sent an email to zenith and ask them if they have a clue :) the case is quite similar to Rollie's subs (the did produce movement for a long time for Rollie). The reference on the caseback is: 125D246

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is strange. As per Ranfft, it suppose to be 25 jewel and was made from 1964-1969.

I think, unfortunatly, yours is a frankenwatch. The rotor is most likely from a 2522PC

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&ae&2uswk&Zenith_2542PC

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&ae&2uswk&Zenith_2522P

What's the reference # on the caseback? The last 3 numbers will give you an idea of what movement should be in it.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
The reference on the caseback is: 125D246

Well, that doesn't sound right.
It should be xx.xxxx.xxx (number sequence)
The last 3 numbers are the code which designates the calibre of movement.

If it is a 70's model then this may help, but its not a complete list.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/zenith-70s-model-codes-movement-numbers-611217.html

I'd still have to go with what I said the first time about the movement.
I doubt very much the story of a prototype. Have him prove it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, that doesn't sound right.
It should be xx.xxxx.xxx (number sequence)
The last 3 numbers are the code which designates the calibre of movement.

If it is a 70's model then this may help, but its not a complete list.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/zenith-70s-model-codes-movement-numbers-611217.html

I'd still have to go with what I said the first time about the movement.
I doubt very much the story of a prototype. Have him prove it.
I doubt I can get that confirmed :)

I cannot Find the casenumber, but here is a picture of the back with the numbers showing: 125 D 246

Thank you very much for all the responds!

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
That is strange. As per Ranfft, it suppose to be 25 jewel and was made from 1964-1969.

I think, unfortunatly, yours is a frankenwatch. The rotor is most likely from a 2522PC

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&ae&2uswk&Zenith_2542PC

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&ae&2uswk&Zenith_2522P

What's the reference # on the caseback? The last 3 numbers will give you an idea of what movement should be in it.
You might be right. The dial is correct, but the Zenith Defy watches of this vintage have an octagon shaped case. (at least the ones that I've seen)
Zenith did have a 28j movement. The movement (but cal. 2522 P not 2542) is actually originally a Martel calibre. Martel was a company that specialized in chronograph movements - they made some of the Universal Geneve chrono calibres. In 1960, Zenith bought up Martel and acquired the rights to their calibres. The old UG chrono movements became the Zenith Cals. 136/146 and the 2511/2512 series was developed so that it optionally had date, automatic winding or both. Further improvements were made in the next decade or so and the series culminated in the Cal. 2572 range. Generally, these movements are, however, considered to be Zenith in-house movements.

(found online)

Plus, before anyone else says it, this obviously isn't a chronograph. Not sure if I've ever seen a three hander with 28 jewels, but I could be wrong.

~Edit~ I take that back, the Movado (Kingmatic?) was a 28 jewel movement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You might be right. The dial is correct, but the Zenith Defy watches of this vintage have an octagon shaped case. (at least the ones that I've seen)
Zenith did have a 28j movement. The movement (but cal. 2522 P not 2542) is actually originally a Martel calibre. Martel was a company that specialized in chronograph movements - they made some of the Universal Geneve chrono calibres. In 1960, Zenith bought up Martel and acquired the rights to their calibres. The old UG chrono movements became the Zenith Cals. 136/146 and the 2511/2512 series was developed so that it optionally had date, automatic winding or both. Further improvements were made in the next decade or so and the series culminated in the Cal. 2572 range. Generally, these movements are, however, considered to be Zenith in-house movements.

(found online)

Plus, before anyone else says it, this obviously isn't a chronograph. Not sure if I've ever seen a three hander with 28 jewels, but I could be wrong.

~Edit~ I take that back, the Movado (Kingmatic?) was a 28 jewel movement.

Thank you so much for the information. I feel like I am on the search for something here :) treasure hunt :) I've seen this case back on several vintage zenith on eBay, they all have the same numbertype like xxxletterxxx ex 123B456

But you think the rotor is def wrong? Can I provide with some more information if I open the movement a bit more? Like removing the rotor for instance?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol! Well i first got that story after I bought it. But the seller said it's probably bogus, so I don't believe that for a second. But I think it's an interesting piece. I would like to get some info on this, coz the watch sits perfect. I really love this combo. Have a lot great watches in my collection but this has been sitting on for a week. New record :)

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Someone put the rotor of a 2522PC on the 2542PC movement. It's definitely a 2542PC, as per my link on my first post. The 2522PC comes in 28 jewels, as shown on the second link.

What you have is a Zenith, most likely, but with parts from different watches, be it movement or case or whatever, i.e. a frankenwatch.

Did it happen to come from India?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No no. I live in Norway :) got it from Norway. But will help to remove the rotor perhaps? Add some more pictures?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Well the guy who sold to me got it from Italy once. Seller in italy said ...
I'm married to an Italiana and have traveled in Italy many times over the years, interacting with merchants etc., so I can say this and not be a hater. This part of your comment strikes me as ... well, lets just say I would be highly skeptical. Italians are wonderful people and I truly love them, but I wouldn't trust one who was selling me something if he told me the sky was blue :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got it from a Norwegian who got it from italy (many many years ago)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lol! Well i first got that story after I bought it. But the seller said it's probably bogus, so I don't believe that for a second. But I think it's an interesting piece. I would like to get some info on this, coz the watch sits perfect. I really love this combo. Have a lot great watches in my collection but this has been sitting on for a week. New record :)

I have now spoken with AD and they say that this is genuine and its a model that have existed in their system. Its not in their books, but this AD guy have seen it before. They actually need to go by Zenith to get it verifyed but the case looks real. Its from a time where Zenith was on the low side regarding quality. The movement is not particually of high quality. The rotor is changed apperently and does not come with this movement originally. That is for sure :)

I will keep you posted what the final conclusion from AD will be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts