Watch Freeks banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my SKX173 for about a week now and I synced it to about +2 seconds a day when I first set it.

The timing has fluctuated from +2 to +25 for several days now.

It will be running at +6 when I go to bed (I have been wearing it to bed) , when I woke up this morning it was running at +1.

When I took it off my wrist and shook the watch back and forth to charge it up (not too vigorously) the second hand advanced to +25???

What the hell, is this normal, none of my other watches have ever done this?

I can live with +2 to a +25 fluctuation, but an almost instantaneous advance of +24 seconds doesn't seem right to me???

My Orient Ray which lacks the hand winding feature also, doesn't have any kind of timing jump when I shake it back and forth to charge it up??

·
Registered
389 Posts
I wrote something similar in the Seiko section. My SNK805 changes every time I let it run out then wind it. Usually between 12-18 seconds slow, differing every wind. My SNXS75 is dead on at -2 seconds a day, every wind, laying crown up or face up (runs fast with the crown down). My SNKN45 was running oddly, losing five minutes in about 3 hours!!!! It did this twice to me, yesterday. Last night, I put it through my usual routine I go through with my other two watches (two minute shake and time check) then reset the watch. No problems at all today, but I didn't check how it was running because I didn't set it to the second. I'll do that tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I have had my SKX173 for about a week now and I synced it to about +2 seconds a day when I first set it.

The timing has fluctuated from +2 to +25 for several days now.

It will be running at +6 when I go to bed (I have been wearing it to bed) , when I woke up this morning it was running at +1.

When I took it off my wrist and shook the watch back and forth to charge it up (not too vigorously) the second hand advanced to +25???

What the hell, is this normal, none of my other watches have ever done this?

I can live with +2 to a +25 fluctuation, but an almost instantaneous advance of +24 seconds doesn't seem right to me???

My Orient Ray which lacks the hand winding feature also, doesn't have any kind of timing jump when I shake it back and forth to charge it up??
The second hand jumping like that in a mechanical watch means there is most definitely something broken. It is not a matter of regulating and adjusting, or demagnetizing, but actual damage to the gearing or the pinion.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Chazman:
Problems with the 7S26 regularity is the principal reason I no longer do
the 7S26 or 7S36 engines drill.
I now stick with the 4R36 and 6R15 calibres.
Current problem I'm experiencing is my watch guy's Timegrapher is
not working. Having to use brick n mortar AD for regulating instead.
AD has an arrogant manner in dealing with Orients, Seikos, and
Citizen Miyota mechanicals. If I buy one of his Edox's whole nuther game.
BTW. Is the rifle you're holding in the pic an M14?

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chazman:
Problems with the 7S26 regularity is the principal reason I no longer do
the 7S26 or 7S36 engines drill.
I now stick with the 4R36 and 6R15 calibres.
Current problem I'm experiencing is my watch guy's Timegrapher is
not working. Having to use brick n mortar AD for regulating instead.
AD has an arrogant manner in dealing with Orients, Seikos, and
Citizen Miyota mechanicals. If I buy one of his Edox's whole nuther game.
BTW. Is the rifle you're holding in the pic an M14?

Lou Snutt

That's an M14, best military rifle ever made in my experience, never jammed the whole time in the Nam, and never seen another Marines M14 jam either.

The M16 is a piece of crap, with tiny breakable parts and an ineffective round.

When you shot them with a 7.62 nato round, they stayed shot.

Reactions: ganson

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
That's an M14, best military rifle ever made in my experience, never jammed the whole time in the Nam, and never seen another Marines M14 jam either.

The M16 is a piece of crap, with tiny breakable parts and an ineffective round.

When you shot them with a 7.62 nato round, they stayed shot.
The M14 was/is a great rifle. They even started re-issuing them to our scouts in Iraq after my first deployment so our marksmen could range out better.
On the same note, the M-16 of your generation, and the M-16 and M-4 of mine are two different animals. As long as it was cleaned regularly, I never had a single misfire or jam when I was deployed. The 5.56 is much more effective than many give it credit for. It is accurate, cheap, and the average Soldier or Marine can carry a lot more 5.56 rounds on them as a normal load than they can 7.62.

One more note, anything I ever shot as an Infantryman in Iraq with my M-4 stayed shot.

Hooah!

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The M14 was/is a great rifle. They even started re-issuing them to our scouts in Iraq after my first deployment so our marksmen could range out better.
On the same note, the M-16 of your generation, and the M-16 and M-4 of mine are two different animals. As long as it was cleaned regularly, I never had a single misfire or jam when I was deployed. The 5.56 is much more effective than many give it credit for. It is accurate, cheap, and the average Soldier or Marine can carry a lot more 5.56 rounds on them as a normal load than they can 7.62.

One more note, anything I ever shot as an Infantryman in Iraq with my M-4 stayed shot.

Hooah!
When we qualified with the M14 in Marine Boot Camp, the last string of fire was in the prone position at 500 meters, try that with an M16.

We were taught the judicious use of fire power, shoot seldom, but shoot accurately, no spray and pray.

I had a selector switch my M14 on the last operation I was on and fired it full auto once. After that I never fired it full auto again. On full auto after about the third round the barrel has raised up to almost vertical.

I now have an AK47 (7.62X39) with the AK74 muzzle brake and synthetic stock. Mounted with a red dot sight, it's a formidable weapon, and it NEVER jams!

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
When we qualified with the M14 in Marine Boot Camp, the last string of fire was in the prone position at 500 meters, try that with an M16.

We were taught the judicious use of fire power, shoot seldom, but shoot accurately, no spray and pray.

I had a selector switch my M14 on the last operation I was on and fired it full auto once. After that I never fired it full auto again. On full auto after about the third round the barrel has raised up to almost vertical.

I now have an AK47 (7.62X39) with the AK74 muzzle brake and synthetic stock. Mounted with a red dot sight, it's a formidable weapon, and it NEVER jams!

On a rooftop providing over watch, I'd take an M14 in a heartbeat, but most of my work was door to door and clearing rooms with a long heavy rifle gets old (and dangerous) quickly. The M4 is much better suited for that task. Either way, they are both just tools. You pick the right tool for the job at hand.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I only got to shoot the M14 once, and in full auto. Not a fun rifle to shoot in auto. The M16 I qualified on was much better to shoot. Would have gotten sharp shooter (navy) my first time shooting it, but it never ended up in my records. But it was odd for us. I was a mechanic, but I hung out with the gunners mates. Only reason I got to get him qualified was because I was boat qualified. Got to shoot the M60 as well. That was fun.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On a rooftop providing over watch, I'd take an M14 in a heartbeat, but most of my work was door to door and clearing rooms with a long heavy rifle gets old (and dangerous) quickly. The M4 is much better suited for that task. Either way, they are both just tools. You pick the right tool for the job at hand.

Not too much door to door stuff in the Nam :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts