Watch Freeks banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've not seen this newer Steinhart model discussed on this forum so thought I would start a thread...

Steinhart has decided to make a number of their models in the 39 mm size for folks like me who would like a bit smaller watch (my wrist is 6.8"). After doing some research, I went ahead and ordered an Ocean-1 (Black) in the 39 mm size. I ordered it from Gnomon Watches - which is about $5 less than Steinhart direct, which also offers an additional 6 mos. warranty. They ship DHL instead of FedEx. It's due to arrive this Wednesday.

The Ocean-1 39mm has the ETA-2824-2 Elaboré movement with 25 jewels. Beats @28,800 bph or 4 hz. Date @ 3 o'clock with cyclops (1.5x mag I think) and has a screw-down crown. Has a sapphire (flat) crystal with double anti-reflecive coating on inside only. Bezel is black ceramic. Watch is water resistant to 300 meters (~1000'). Dial has Super Luminova BGW9 on indices and hands. The bezel triangle @ 12 o'clock (no pip to get damaged) has lume also. 120 click bezel ccw only.

A poster on another forum (WUS) measured this model with calipers and reports the following:

• Case width sans crown: 39mm (actually, this is the bezel diameter; the case - sans crown guard – is a bit under 39mm)
  • Overall length lug-lug: 47 mm (pin-to-pin: 44.2mm)
  • Height: 12.8mm
  • Weight (with two whole links removed, on a Yoko jeweler's scale): 160.8g
See Steinhart's website for more info:
https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/ocean-one-39-black.html

This image is borrowed – not mine:

If interest, here's a pretty good video review of this model:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh wow! Just got my Steinhart Ocean-1 39 (Black) delivered today. Pretty quick service too. Ordered from Gnomon in Singapore on Saturday, delivered via DHL this afternoon. I'm really liking this new smaller sized Ocean-1 at 39 mm. Fits my 6.8" wrist perfectly! Here's a few pics from my iPhone. I'll post more in another thread with a more detailed write-up when I have more time.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Great looking piece congrats and enjoy.

Sent from my Sinclair ZX81 using a dial up modem.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
If only they would lose those Mercedes hands. Love that movement though. It looks good on you. Enjoy the honeymoon. :smile-thumb2:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steinhart Ocean One 39mm (Black) review

I finally have a little time to review my new Steinhart Ocean One 39mm (Black). I wanted a Steiny Ocean-1 for quite some time but with my 6.8" wrist I was afraid it wouldn't fit just right. Some reviews of the 42mm models reported that the 'straight lugs' caused the watch to not sit just right on smaller wrists and kind of 'hang over' some. When Steinhart started making some of their more popular dive watches in the 39mm size recently, I was intrigued. After reading some reviews on other forums and watching a few YouTube videos, I pulled the trigger and ordered one from Gnomon Watches in Singapore. Why Gnomon rather than Steinhart direct you ask? Looking at the exchange rate on Steinhart's website, Gnomon was actually $5 USD cheaper, shipment is free via DHL (can be faster too), plus they add an additional 6 months to the warranty after the original 2-year warranty is up. Gnomon also includes a Nato strap and polishing cloth with all their watches. I ordered the watch on Saturday and it arrived 4 days later on Wednesday.

The details:

• Movement is Swiss ETA 2824-2 Elaboré (auto; hand-wind; hacking; 28,800 or 4 hz)
  • 25 jewels
  • 40 hour power reserve
  • Date at 3 o'clock with magnifier (or cyclops)
  • Screw down crown @ 3 with guards
  • Sapphire glass (flat) with double AR coating inside only
  • Ceramic bezel
  • Water resistance to 300M (or 1000')
  • SS Back / screw down
  • Bracelet 20mm 316 SS tapers to 16mm at clasp with latch safety
  • Case width without crown: 39mm (actually, the bezel diameter; case - sans crown guard is a bit under 39mm)
  • Overall length lug-lug: 47 mm (pin-to-pin: 44.2mm)
  • Height: 12.8mm
I'm really liking this watch! It fits perfectly and is very comfortable. Everyone always asks about alignment. The bezel is very close, but not perfect. When the pip is aligned to 12 o'clock the 30 seems off just a bit from the 6 o'clock. Not a big deal for me though. I use the pip as a timing device and never use the other markings on the bezel. Some don't like a cyclops but this is my first watch with one. So far I like it as it makes reading the date easier. Took 4 full-sized links out to fit my wrist. There are also 2 half-sized links if you need a more or less adjustment. There are 4 micro adjustments in the clasp. Sizing the bracelet is super easy since they're screws. Lume is pretty good and more blue in color. Nothing like Seiko's lume however. I wore it to bed last night and could still read it at 5 AM. The first day of wearing it it gained 4.2 secs. I'm sure that will change as it 'breaks in'. Love this watch!!

Here are some pictures (sorry, they're from my iPhone).

Today's writs shot:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Oh, that sweet feeling of getting something new and shiny got to love it. Thanks for taking the time and sharing the unboxing. The watch looks great on you. Looks like you're very happy with the whole transaction with Gnomon also and that's awesome. Enjoy it! The good stuff.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Nice purchase :). I sold all six of my Steinharts a while ago, but just ordered a 39mm OVM the other day. Back in the fold :). Looking forward to the smaller size.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts