Watch Freeks banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I presently have a collection of 43 watches, albeit the collection size changes almost by the day. I don't have a single square watch amongst it, so thought I would have look around. Well, not very successful up to now. I would prefer a watch that sits the same as a round watch of about 41mm. I would prefer a mechanical, but am open to decent quartz version. All I can find are watches that are complete junk, or watches I can't afford. The Tissot Quadrato is nice, but incredibly rare in the UK, and when they come up, they are generally in poor used condition, and sell for twice what I would pay. My budget is no more than £150, and I am prepared to buy a decent used one if necessary. I don't care where it is made, and am not hung up on brand names. This is dead easy with round watches, but I am really struggling with square.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Bulova makes plenty... That is, if you're including rectangular/tonneau shapes also. I had one equal distance square watch. Couldn't bond with it so I traded it for a knife or something.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bulova makes plenty... That is, if you're including rectangular/tonneau shapes also. I had one equal distance square watch. Couldn't bond with it so I traded it for a knife or something.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am guessing you aren't from the UK.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These Seiko Recrafts look very nice Mrs. Wiggles. 🙂

There look to be a few of them...

Yes they look nice, and I have just had a look at them. Like many watches these are rare in the UK. The only one I can find is £200, and not very well spec'd

·
Super Moderator
9,690 Posts
Yes they look nice, and I have just had a look at them. Like many watches these are rare in the UK. The only one I can find is £200, and not very well spec'd
Oh man, that is upsetting Mrs. Wiggles. They look to be just over $100
on this side of the pond. Found a few more from Citizen, and Orient that
might not be as wide MW. The Citizens seem a little more traditional, but the Orients look nice too.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, like the Orient, but yet again, Orient watches have to be imported, and that's when they can be found

·
Super Moderator
9,690 Posts
Thanks, like the Orient, but yet again, Orient watches have to be imported, and that's when they can be found
Don't mention it. (y) Those Orients really are nice MW. The design,
along with open heart-like dial is very eye-catching imho. It adds a
neat element to a classic style, and changes things up a little.

Just is another option out there Mrs. Wiggles. Glad you liked them.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Mr Wiggles:
Never was much of a fan of Square case watches til my SIL Mark gifted me his King of G's Casio. Changed my POV about squre watches entirely. Maybe its time to make the jump to Square non GShocks?

Lou Snutt

This Corvid thing is really a trainwreck to our bluegrass clubs monthly jam session. But I've polished both my Standard Acoustic and mt Bass acoustic guitar twice each
since I been on lockdown!!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got one, at last I have got one. For a few years I have been looking for a Tissot Quadrato at a decent price. In the UK they come up very rarely, and when they do you pay a premium. Yesterday I negotiated a price of £175 for brown dialed chrono quartz, and from the pictures it looks in decent condition. They aren't the prettiest watch, but I love the fact they are quite quirky, and brown was my preferred colour. Fingers crossed is it as good as it looks on eBay. Here is a generic picture

·
Super Moderator
9,690 Posts
Got one, at last I have got one. For a few years I have been looking for a Tissot Quadrato at a decent price. In the UK they come up very rarely, and when they do you pay a premium. Yesterday I negotiated a price of £175 for brown dialed chrono quartz, and from the pictures it looks in decent condition. They aren't the prettiest watch, but I love the fact they are quite quirky, and brown was my preferred colour. Fingers crossed is it as good as it looks on eBay. Here is a generic picture
View attachment 129537

Yeah, so nice MW, and if it's half as nice as the picture here
than I think that would be fantastic ! 😎 The way that brown
dial looks all by itself is worth the price of admission really. (y)
Am thinking it will be perfect Mrs. Wiggles. Great find !!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
View attachment 129537
To be honest, I did a lot of research on Chrono24 after reading your initial post. It's true there is not a lot on offer in terms of affordable square watches, there quite a few Cartier Tank replicas and the like ( I have an Auguste Reymond in a rectangular format), but square is rare.. Heuer Monaco is what comes to mind mostly readily, the Zenith "TV" El Primero as well, but affordable and square is a not readily evident. There was also a Mühle Glashütte made one for a long while, but recently removed it from their catalogue, it was not in your price range though.

Glad you found the Tissot, a great brand that is often overlooked! Their factory is on the hill opposite to Zenith. I really should take photos of these places, but honestly Tissot's factory is impressive, but hidden on a hill surrounded by trees, right next to the Mont Blanc headquarters (but not where they make watches).

·
Registered
231 Posts
I like the non-square rectangular and tonneau shaped wrists watches. The pure square ones don't do anything for me. Some nice ones on this thread above.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts